THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepBreath

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Howdy! I'm on the other side. Surgery went well. Once they got in there they found that I had a fracture in my femur.
That changes the recovery plan a bit.
I'll know more after I talk to the doc. Right now the news is second hand through my husband.
I'll keep y'all posted. :)

Oh My Goodness!!! You poor thing, no wonder you have been having such pain. so glad to see your update..
Take care and rest. You sound great!! :cheers: a toast to my fellow Sapphire hipster..

@DeepBreath well done the worst is over - my goodness what we all go through in different ways. Look after yourself whatever the implications of the broken femur.

Okay, there is pain but it has nothing to do with my hip.
I have a super obnoxious roommate. I just want to be quiet, rest, and acclimate. She wants to talk....loudly and non-stop.
I know her life story and all if it is apparently miserable.
She wants to know the ins and outs of my surgery and prognosis.
I keep telling her I haven't talked to my doc yet so I don't know.
This line of questioning is alternated with wanting to know my political views.
I foresee a lot of sleep, faked and real, iny future.
Sorry, I don't mean to be ugly. I just really detest small talk and so need to just be quiet right now.
This too shall pass.

Glad you are on the other side. Sorry to hear about your femur. How does that play into recovery? My surgeon said I had big bone spurs that were rubbing against bone. So sorry you got a bad roomy. That was my fear. I had a great one last time and was soon nice to have a private room this time. I had great nurses and CNA's this time also. Makes such a difference. Speedy healing to you. Did you bring done ear buds? Put them in and pretend you're listening to music

Oh dear. Sorry to hear about your roommate. Ugh. I would tell her that I just wanted to sleep. That must be difficult. I was so lucky to have a private room. Glad you are on the other side, and I hope the femur heals well. Hopefully you will be home soon, and will have peace and quiet.

Oh, sweetie, I have been anxiously waiting for your recovery thread and just found it. I'm so glad you made it! But I'm so sorry you have to deal with a roommate. Maybe you can request being moved to a quieter room. We can only hope she'll be discharged before you, if moving is not possible. But, in the meantime, try keeping your curtain closed....maybe that will help. Good luck sweetie! I'm hoping for the best for yo.

@DeepBreath PLEASE request another room.. If they aren't chuck full you may luck out. The nurses would know how to handle it without the roomie getting her feelings hurt. Just try. You need your rest and peace of mind.
If you can't ask because she is hanging on your every word, then have your husband go to the nurses station and make the request. hugs, sweetie thats awful

Last edited by a moderator:
@DeepBreath Roommates from h**l are the worst! Hopefully she will go home quickly :) With my shoulder surgery I had one of those - but her thing was whining, complaining, refusing to do what nurses and doctor told her and ringing the call button every 15 minutes all night long (and it rang in our room, not just at the nurses station). You have my sympathies!!! Tune her out as best you can - got anything with earphones? Even if you don't have any tunes playing?

I sure hope the news from your doctor is positive and that your recovery will not be too slowed down by the newly discovered fracture!!

I am sorry about your femur. At least they found it and it can now heal also.

I have no encouraging words about the roommate. Maybe she is just lonely and you were placed in her room to show her how to be a good patient? Maybe she is scared and wants reassurance? Naw.....she is just a whack job that annoys the heck out of you! hahahaha! Sorry. Seriously, I hope you get some rest and heal quickly.

Crazy about the broken femur! You're such the trooper and have been so positive while going through so much pain! I'm wondering if you'll be placed on non-weight bearing for awhile? I'm keeping you in my prayers each and every day.

Sorry you are dealing with a "miserable" Chatty Cathy roommate! Have you considered telling her you're going to remove your hearing aids now, so if you don't respond to her, please don't take it personally? Then when you feel like visiting, you can tell her they're back in (you might want to add that they're new and you have to get used to them, so you take them out quite frequently). HAHAHAHA! All kidding aside, I agree with asking the nurses if you can change rooms. You need to relax and sleep, not stress!

Well, the catheter is out and I actually got a few hours of sleep, so that's helped a lot.
My hip pain has been minimal so far.
The worst discomfort was having the abduction pillow between my legs since I haven't had good ROM for years. The nurse worked with me and placed a regular pillow instead and muscle relaxers have also helped.
The roomie settled down so that's good.
The PT and OT should be in around 8:00 am.
@Cynthia777, yeah, I have weight bearing restrictions for a couple of weeks,.
I'm glad they discovered and fixed it during surgery, for sure!
@CricketHip, @copsham, @Doodles51, @hip hip hooray, @Nana757, @djklaugh, @Timetolive, and Cynthia, thanks for your support!
If I missed anybody, I apologize. :flwrysmile:

P.S. The spinal was the bomb! Out like a light, very little awareness, and waking up was souch easier than GA.

@DeepBreath I am just catching up and I want to say how sorry I am about the fracture and your obnoxious room mate.There is always one isn't there ? Ihave been on here for years and there have been a several users who ended up with fractured femurs but who have done well in the end including one of my first time hip buddies.I am still in contact with her and she is still doing extremely well and is very active.The weight bearing restrictions are an added nuisance but you will get through this and get on with your full recovery in a few weeks.Healing thoughts and prayers coming to you over the Atlantic.

Good Morning DeepBreath!! you are sounding pretty darn good! The abduction pillow sounds uncomfortable. Isn't it a good thing when the nurses work with you? :) That was sweet of her to help you "downsize"
very hopeful to hear that the jabber jaws has calmed down, I was so upset for you. Maybe she will go in spurts of dialogue and will rest in between.
So, the fracture, I am just so sorry that you have that to deal with and oh yes, this is one of the factors in your pain over the past several weeks. But it is a nice validation of what you have been going through. You were prepping meals on that thing!!!!
So, will you have to use crutches for the first couple of weeks? Do you know if this gets you an extra day or 2 in the hospital??
sorry for the questions... but I just needs to know :heehee: I'm am so happy that you have the first surgery under your belt. (is that pun?) Seriously, if my questions are too much, don't worry about it.
I hope you can snag some more zzzz's

Thanks @Kim22! Not gonna lie. I was afraid of walking with the fracture.
I just took my first walk though and it went really well. I have a 'toe touch weight bearing restriction' so that's not too bad.
The roomie has settled down a lot. She's actually pretty nice.
@CricketHip, I'm not sure if I'll be using crutches or a walker for a bit. I used a walker today for PT. It felt so good to get up and move around!
I hope you're doing good!
I am going to go grab some Zzźzzs now.
Thank you for the support! :)

I am so happy to hear your roommate has settled down and has allowed you your own space and quiet time. Did she have a replacement as well? So sorry to hear that you are on weight restrictions, but the time will pass quickly. And, before you know it you'll be back walking with full weight. Do you know how long you'll be in the hospital?
It's nice the nurses worked with you on the abduction pillow. When I had my surgery, I woke up to it being strapped to my legs. UGHHHH! That was the first thing to go! I just had the nurses bring me a couple of extra pillows and fixed them where I was more than comfortable. Glad you were able to do the same thing.
How is your pain level? Hope the pain meds and ice are doing the job for you.
Keep up that wonderful disposition of yours and you'll do great! Happy day to you, my friend.

Good morning @DeepBreath, happy to read your posts that you are on the other side with recovery on the way. So sorry you were hit with more challenges, you're doing so well soon they will be behind you too.

Welcome to the other side! Easy does it - you need lots of energy for this recovery. Fractures do happen but they aren't the end of the world. Just a bit more of a challenge. You'll get there.

I'll post your articles here for you to refer back to:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88