December SuperNovas 2012 - Are You Having Knee Surgery in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
ai295.photobucket.com_albums_mm158_Kelly_M_photo_star_supernova_6.jpg

December is the month of miracles and, SuperNovas, yours is just beginning! Here's to you...the soon-to-be bright new shining BoneSmart stars bursting forth into your new, more active lives!

If you're having surgery in December, please post here and join the group. It is so helpful to have the support of others who will go through the waiting for surgery and recovery together.

Dec. 5 is the date for my RTKR. Today I had the pre-surgery visit with the Dr. The preop visit is scheduled as is a visit to the rehab facility if I should decide to go.

My surgery (LTKR) is also December 5 -- RTKR to follow six-to-eight weeks later. Getting nervous, I have to admit!

Just had LTKR in September, and getting RTKR on Dec. 13th - can't wait! One step closer to getting back to "normal"...

My surgery is December 17th, RTKR....Scared, but can't wait till it's done!!!

Hope I am doing this right, not good at all this computer stuff... My BTKR is Dec. 4. Counting down the days, as with all of you, I want the surgery but at the same time the mind goes crazy at times. I find comfort in knowing I'm not the only one going through this and you really know the pain, anxiety etc. that I'm feeling. Thanks for all the good will. I don't know how to do the signature deal, can someone walk me through it click by click...:sos:

Go to the top of the page. Your name will be in the upper right corner; click on it and choose "Signature". Just put whatever you want in the signiture box and save it.

I am having BTKR on December 17th. When people hear I am having both knees done at one time, they look at me like I have two heads! I get comments like "I can't believe you are getting both done at the same time, you must be really brave." Those comments really scare me! Help!!!!!

Don't be scared! If I could've, I would have had both at the same time. One surgery and one recovery - voila! I think people assume that you will be unable to walk, not understanding that you'll be on your feet within 24 hours of your surgery. Best of luck to you!

I am having BTKR on December 17th. When people hear I am having both knees done at one time, they look at me like I have two heads! I get comments like "I can't believe you are getting both done at the same time, you must be really brave." Those comments really scare me! Help!!!!!

Hi Riley,
Looks like were getting our knees done on the same day! Gulp....I too wish that I could just get both of mine done at the same time. My right one is the 'bad' one, but, from over use of the left leg, it too is now really painful!
You will be fine. Trust the people on this site and don't pay any attention to what others say! They have NO IDEA how painful it is to have bad knees. Deep breath and visualize walking all over town shopping without having to find a bench to collapse on! xx

Seems like December 5th is a popular day for TKR. I am brand new to this fourm (or any other fourm for that matter) so please excuse any mistakes, typos or fourm manners (rules). I am also having TKR 12/5/12. My left knee is totally shot (right knee is right behind it) I have been walking the floors for weeks. sure i'm nervous looks like i have some new friends to be nervous with. I wish you all the best and speedy recovery.

Hi seabreez99, welcome to BoneSmart. I am more familiar with hip replacements, having had one myself, but just spotted that you had joined and wanted to welcome you aboard :)

Would you like to start a thread of your own in the knee pre op area and share your story leading up to your surgery, that way lots of TKR folk will be able to interact directly with you :)

There is a black button too right hand corner of the Pre op list titled 'Post New thread'. You can give your personal thread a title and then write your first post and it won't be long before lots of members will be posting to you, welcoming you to the forum.

Do let us know if you have any problems, we are here to help. Also, the forum rules are in the Administrative section of the main list.. and of course I can forget to tell you about the fantastic library of informative articles we have. You can see the tab in the grey navigation bar above the post new thread button.. One of the Moderators who are more familiar with the knee articles will also pop by and give you some links to start you off. Once again, welcome :)

Thanks for your help, I'm still a bit confused how to use this site as far as the correct place to reply, just write updates etc.
Had my bone/joint class yesterday, my anxiety level increased too when I get the looks from people, even the physical therapist, nurses, as well as others waiting for surgery when they hear I'm having BTKR. I know it can be done and I can do it.

To all of you having surgery in December, I will be praying for you and watching for your posts on the other side! Life is so much better after knee replacements! I couldn't walk without braces and a walker, and now I have lost 150 pounds and counting! God has been so good to me, and I know he has tremendous plans for all of you as well!:happydance: I am attaching a before and during picture so you can tell there is LIFE after a knee replacement! Recent downloads 119.JPG Recent downloads 386.JPG

I'm back! I will be 2 years post LTKR on 12/10/12 and I am scheduled to have my right knee replaced on 12/18/12. I wasn't actually planning to have it done this year (especially since I had lumbar fusion unexpectedly at end of July and spent 11 days in the hospital), but I have been laid off from my job and only know for sure that I have insurance until the end of the year that I don't have to contribute too so I am biting the bullet even though I've already been through major surgery and rehab (just finished today). My plan is to review some of my previous posts, remind myself of what I went through, how I felt and see where others in my shoes are in their process.

Leenie, welcome back! I am sorry to hear about the lumbar fusion and being laid off, but you are making a smart decision getting your knee replaced before your insurance runs out. Can you get on Cobra from your job? I did and had insurance for 18 extra months. I was on my husband's policy also so we never paid anything except the cobra premium during the 18 months.

Hi Sonja - I can get on Cobra but with my insurance I have a high deductible plan and I met the deductible with the hospitalization and surgery in July so the only thing I will have to cover is the nominal cost of my prescriptions - and I plan on having the doctor write plenty ahead of time. Everything else will be 100% covered so the decision was sort of a no brainer. My boyfriend wants to know if I will be ready to go to a Patriots Football game on 12/30 to which I replied a resounding NO but he keeps trying to find ways to convince me to go. He needs to see a video :) and get someone else to go in my place.

Hi everyone! I'm having RTKR on December 3rd. Went to the doctor today for my pre op visit. He was great and answered all my questions, but I am scared to death!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie