• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

December SuperNovas 2012 - Are You Having Knee Surgery in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ELISEA

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United States United States
Hi ChevyOH
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great information in the Library above and it should calm some of the worry about everyday living. For instance, a bath chair in the bathtub was fantastic for me. I didn't worry about slipping while in the shower and probably is a necessity for someone having both knees done.

And an interesting piece of advice from one of the male members was to ask the nurse to shave all of the leg instead of around the incision site because he said it looked very strange with partially hairy legs. :loll:

Anyway, if you follow Bottomshollow instructions and start your own thread, people will be along to say "hi" and give advice.

Here are her instructions:
You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often.
Again, welcome!

NightQuilter

post-grad
Country
Hi ChevyOH - you will find a few BTKRs on here and they will give you great advice and insights. I was scheduled for a Bi on 10/30 - I did both hips together years ago and was eager to get this done at once as well. My body had a different idea since after they finished the one, the blood pressure did not recover as quickly as my OS thought safe. I go back in on 12/17. Your description of standing and walking is SOOOO familiar, likewise your incentive for getting it over with!

One thing I found with the hips and also with the one knee is you can immediately trust it/them. The new parts don't hurt and will do what they are intended to; it is all the connections, as it were, that are recovering from the trauma. As my PT keeps trying to drum into my head - we have no control over physiology and healing; the body controls that and each one of us is different. Don't try to rush it - your body will tell you what it is willing to do. And follow the mantra - rest, elevate, ice, and stay ahead of the pain with your meds. Will it be a bit of a burden on your wife? Of course, but the long term gain of having you fit and comfortable (and useful!! lol) is worth it. My husband worked overtime to nurse me back - I think he feels the investment was worth it. Good luck!!

DebsinIllinois

:) Hello everyone! I'm having a RTKR on Dec 13..I just found out a few days ago that my surgeon had a cancellation and could fit me in. I'm no stranger to the OR after having many spinal surgeries and a total shoulder replacement This surgery has me a bit more concerned for some reason. I had ortho done on it a year ago and remember how difficult it was to sit and sleep comfortably so I'm a bit freaked. Any suggestions? :thankyou:

leenie60

graduate
Country
Not to worry ChevyOH - showering will come in a few days as long as you have a shower seat to hold on to and to sit upon. As for house work - I am a single mother with two teenagers so some things you just have to let go no matter what. If your wife is too stressed you can always order groceries to be delivered (although she may look forward to getting out). If you have to get up at night just make sure your path is clear, leave a night light on for a few weeks and take your time getting out of bed.

I'm scheduled for RTKR on the 18th and had the left done 2 years ago tomorrow at age 50. So far so good. Take your pain meds, do your gentle stretches, move around as you can, nap often, drink plenty of water and all will be right in the world in no time at all. Expect some ups and downs but keep working through and you will be standing up in one fell swoop in no time.

NightQuilter

post-grad
Country
Hi Debs - you've come to the right place; I am continually amazed at the depth of caring and wonderful advice the folks on here share. I think whether one is an old hand in the OR or not, mild trepidation in anticipation of any surgery is normal and healthy. While I am only almost 6 weeks out of my first TKR, it really was not as bad as I had anticipated. No picnic, mind you, but following the advice of your team and the mantra you will see here repeatedly - rest, elevate, ice, and stay ahead of the pain with your meds - is invaluable. And of course, foot pumps and small stretches when you can. I wish you well; I go back in for my other knee on the 17th. :flwrysmile:

believer

I know exactly how you feel. I am scheduled to have surgery tomorrow replacing both knees. I am nervous but I am a believer and know that everything will be fine. If both knees are bad now then you don't have a good leg now, so just think when you are healed you are healed and will not have to return. There will just be restoration ahead of you.

Country
wish you the best 3.png
, believer. I had both knees done 2 days apart. Having them both done when both really need it, is the only way to go. True you won't have one "good" knee but you will have two brand new knees. You will still be able to walk and get around. And you only have one hospital stay and one recovery to go through. Just keep your pain well managed the first 3 to 4 months and don't get carried away with PT. Follow the BoneSmart mantra: pain meds on a schedule; plenty of rest; elevate those legs (toes above nose); ice, ice, and ice some more; keep exercise gentle and easy; and restrict daily activities and increase them very slowly. You do this and you'll be just fine.

I'll be waiting for your first post on the "other side" as soon as you are able. Take care and remember that we care.2 purple hugs.png

Dulcimer Diva

graduate
Hi Debs,
You will get through this just fine. Less than six months out on my RTKR and I realized last night that I've stopped thinking about that knee--just gritting my teeth over the pain & instability in the left one! Unfortunately, this is my last post in this thread because my LTKR had to be postponed till late Aug/early Sept.--despite what he'd told me last Aug. (to-wit, speak to him in early Dec. for a Jan. surgery) my OS is booked till early April but I'm booked from spring through summer! Will have to muddle through with brace, cortisone shot and topical pain gels till Labor Day weekend or so. BTW, where is Gillespie? Where in IL are you getting your surgery done?

fitjulieb

Hello, everyone! I just found this site and it looks like there is a lot of good information here. I had a left partial knee replacement on Dec 11, 2012 and I want to be further than I am. I had the best surgeon in central OH and the most caring hospital staff. I'm only 48 and I know I'm being impatient. Glad I found this site though!

Julie
L PKR 12/11/2012

Country
welcome 4.jpg
Julie, so pleased you have joined us on the forum. Please start your own thread in the knee replacement recovery area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
elf gymnast.gif
fitjulieb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knee2hip
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom