December SuperNovas 2012 - Are You Having Knee Surgery in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope I am doing this right, not good at all this computer stuff... My BTKR is Dec. 4. Counting down the days, as with all of you, I want the surgery but at the same time the mind goes crazy at times. I find comfort in knowing I'm not the only one going through this and you really know the pain, anxiety etc. that I'm feeling. Thanks for all the good will. I don't know how to do the signature deal, can someone walk me through it click by click...:sos:

I know how everyone feels I am having total bi lateral knee replacements and the anxiety is kickin in

Hello all I am a 43 yr. old african American active woman and I have found that I am going to have bi lateral knee replacements. I am prayerful and believing that my Father God is going to see me through , or it is his will to see me. I am scheduled for Dec. 11, 2012 to undergo this procedure . I have a surgeon with an excellent reputation. I believe that I will be educated and encouraged by this site and intend to blog about this experience. I have severe OA in both knees and right hip. My MRI showed grade 4 in one knee and grade 3 in the other. These problems go way back. Early in life I have had to wear ortho shoes , braces , surgery and now replacement. I am really going to track and document this journey.

A very warm welcome to the forum, believer. :)

We are from all over the world so together we have quite a nice and friendly forum. We learn, laugh, comfort and rejoice with one another.

If you would please start your own thread below where more people will see it and be along to say "hi". You can cut and paste what you wrote here if you like; then all you need is a title.
Here is a link to the directions. Click here.

Hello fellow December TKR family! My date is Dec. 19th and I am very nervous, terrified actually. What am I thinking getting this done just before Christmas!

If you have support, then it is the perfect time, everyone can rally round and help you, just think no cooking, washing or cleaning. Enjoy..... mmmmm? If you don't have support, then rely on your fellow bonesmarties for virtual hugs and lots of constructive advice. Scary times but keep thinking of the prize after a few months, a new life!

welcome-waving.gif
believer, so pleased you have joined the forum.

Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.
The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often.
Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.

Lucie's Mom - This will be my 2nd one just before Christmas. The first was 12/10/10 and this one will be 12/18/12 so closer for sure. As stated above, all will be well. For me, my daughter who is a sophomore in college and lives at home, will be on break for a month so even though she will be in and out, she will be around when push comes to shove. My boyfriend's job shuts down during the holiday as well so he will be around the week between Christmas and New Year's. For me, I'd rather be laid up during the winter because I love the summer so much.

Not to worry - get whatever you can get done ahead of time and roll with the punches.

Aileen

Hi Everyone,
I'm having my total knee replacement surgery on 12/12/12. Just found the site and signed up for the fourm.

Having my right knee replacement December 10th. Left knee completed February 4th 2011. Not sure if they can do a partial, wont' know until the surgeon sees how much arthritis in the kneee. Here's hoping for a smooth recovery either way.

1welcome-waving.gif
CdnGolfer, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum.

Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.

Hello All - I had a RTKR on Oct. 30, 2012 and am scheduled for the LTKR on Dec. 17th. Debsnm and Riley, we will become sisters of the knee that day! :friends:
Riley, I was scheduled for a bilateral and must have sounded like a sailor when I woke up in the OR to learn I would have to do it all over again! I insisted they put me back out and finish the job! They were wiser than I, however. Apparently, when they remove the tourniquet (sp?) after the first knee, the blood pressure and blood oxygen levels drop and if they do not recover quickly enough, they will wait until later for the second knee. Having had both hips replaced bilaterally in 2003, I figured it was the best way to go - one surgery; one recovery. You will learn to trust your new knees immediately and the one thing I appreciated in recovering from the hips is that you are forced to stand tall and even, since there is no "good" knee to rely upon.
Wishing all you Decembers good luck. Focus on the physical therapy - especially the foot pumps initially and then stretching the hamstrings and guads so you get full ROM back asap. :dancy: At 5 weeks out, I find I am able to get around pretty well (still avoiding Christmas shopping crowds), I've regained 128 degrees of flex and am at -6 degrees of a straight leg. Now I've got 2 weeks to make my right leg the "good" leg and the one I can rely on totally.

:flwrysmile:
Hello All - I had a RTKR on Oct. 30, 2012 and am scheduled for the LTKR on Dec. 17th. Debsnm and Riley, we will become sisters of the knee that day! :friends:
Riley, I was scheduled for a bilateral and must have sounded like a sailor when I woke up in the OR to learn I would have to do it all over again! I insisted they put me back out and finish the job! They were wiser than I, however. Apparently, when they remove the tourniquet (sp?) after the first knee, the blood pressure and blood oxygen levels drop and if they do not recover quickly enough, they will wait until later for the second knee. Having had both hips replaced bilaterally in 2003, I figured it was the best way to go - one surgery; one recovery. You will learn to trust your new knees immediately and the one thing I appreciated in recovering from the hips is that you are forced to stand tall and even, since there is no "good" knee to rely upon.
Wishing all you Decembers good luck. Focus on the physical therapy - especially the foot pumps initially and then stretching the hamstrings and guads so you get full ROM back asap. :dancy: At 5 weeks out, I find I am able to get around pretty well (still avoiding Christmas shopping crowds), I've regained 128 degrees of flex and am at -6 degrees of a straight leg. Now I've got 2 weeks to make my right leg the "good" leg and the one I can rely on totally.
Hi!!!!
Yep, we're on the final countdown aren't we?? Every time I think about it my heart falls! I keep telling myself that my knee isn't that bad, I can leave it for awhile, and then I try to get up off the couch! I know it will be worth it down the line, just so scared about the surgery going wrong (I have a young son), terrible thoughts go through my mind (irrational I know!), not recovery soon enough to get back to Uni (FT student doing occupational therapy degree), and not being able to fit a chair into my VERY small English home (I am American and I live in the UK. The house I live in is the size of my sister's pool house!)...The hospital said I need to get a chair which has a 19" cushion. Have no idea where this is going!
Well, that's my moan! Thanks for listening! Now, it's your turn! :flwrysmile:
Debbie

I am having both Knees replaced on December 26th.
Hi Wendy,
Good luck! I notice that you live in ABQ..I used to live in Taos before I moved to the UK. What I would give for some green chile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Debbie

Be still your heart Debbie - I put it off for 4 years and would kick myself, if I could! There will be challenges of course but you have it scheduled so you should be feeling a bit more in control by the time classes resume. And in time, you will be able to romp so much better with your son!

The 19" chair sounds like you just need to have a chair with a very firm and high cushion on it because it reduces the strain on your knee/stitches/quads when you go to stand or sit down for the first several weeks. Perhaps you can use a chair you already have and get a firm piece of foam to place on it. I was able to get a 4" cushion after I had my hips replaced. Put a strap on it and could carry it from chair to chair!

Good luck! I look forward to seeing you on the other side! By the way, I am the queen of irrational fears - you will be fine!

Hello fellow December TKR family! My date is Dec. 19th and I am very nervous, terrified actually. What am I thinking getting this done just before Christmas!

It sounds to me LM, that you are going to be able to sit back and let everyone wait on you through the holidays! I worried about it as well, but the sooner it is done, the sooner you will be on your way to recovery and enjoying life in such a richer way. Good luck!

Thanks NightQuilet...I like the idea if strappping a cushion to myself! I may actually do this as we don't have a chair, we have a couch, a tv and a table...(think small dolls house).....Good luck to you too! See ya on the other side!

Hello fellow members of the December knee replacement club. I check in on December 14th for a bilateral knee replacement. My nerves are getting a little high strung as the day gets closer I've been singing a new version of an old Christmas song: "All I want for Christmas is two new knees." I am worried that having both done at once will be a mistake because I won't have a good leg to stand on but I also know I don't want to live with this constant pain. My knees have gotten so bad if I want to stand up I must first stand up halfway and then slowly stand up the rest of the way. And of course when I first start walking I half step until full motion returns. My concern is I will rush and push to get "better" I will make matters worse. And I am worried about the added stress this will place on my wife since she will have to pick up all of the work around the house. And I am mostly worried about the little things like getting up in the middle of the night, showering... All the simple human things I take for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back