THR December 21 Left Hip to be replaced

newguy

Country
United States United States
65 YO runner of 55 years. Finally it is time. To get this done. 6 years since diagnosis of an impinged hip and severe osteoarthritis. I actually continued to run up until two weeks ago but 11+ min miles now . X ray was pitiful. Oh yes it hurts to walk now and when I move it. It was a joy, NOT....walking through LAX last week !!Surgeon rolled his eyes at my wife, then smiled. So the shortest day of the year first day of winter. I'm ready. I keep thinking of my 1:31 half marathon at age 55. Then 2 years later how the wheels fell off. Seems my knee pain back in high school and college while running was really from my impinged hip. Crazy that I was able to run upwards of 70 to 100 miles a week for so many years before the hip said no more. Also seems to be a genetic issue. My father at 55, my first cousin on my dads side both hips in his late 50s. I made it to almost 66:)). I have avoided most pain medication maybe an aleve or aspirin once a day once a week over the past few years. Did not want other issues from NSAIDS. Did some Tumeric and Tart Cherry. Did it help? Don't know. Having it done at Duke in NC by the surgeon who has replaced Coach K Basketball Coach at Dukes Knee, and many other athletes.

Last edited:
@newguy Welcome to BoneSmart! You got the double whammy - wear and tear from all that running and genetic predisposition. I too had a genetic issue that resulted in both hips going. Sorry you have to join the club.

Now you need to focus on the future. Sure, there will be recovery time and it will require lots of patience. But you will get back to an active life once that hip is healed. Maybe not running marathons. But there are plenty of other activities our members engage in post op. Have a read in our hip recovery area.

Or here are some success stories: Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Oh my racing days are over. Nothing more to prove. I am looking forward to my hip not hurting and back not hurting and being able to HIKE and WALK!! Thanks. I intend to rehab by walking and ... walking and listening to my body through the process.

Good luck @newguy. I had my hip replaced in September. I am a runner. I intend to run again once I am further along the healing journey. Do talk to your surgeon, many are supportive. If your bones are strong (and they should be as you are a runner), a modern cementless implant might make all the difference.

I will do some running but like I said no way will I pound the new hip into dust like I did with my original :))).

@newguy Just FYI the new hip implants are expected to last 25-30+ years and do not "pound into dust" as easily as born with hips. Each person and situation is different -- it MIGHT be possible for you to resume running once you have fully healed from hip replacement surgery. Just take things slow and easy - heal first, strengthen/train later.

A large number of hip surgeons don't think running undermines the hip or leads to premature deterioration ... if you don't want to run, I get it. But did your surgeon say you could no longer run?

There have been some big breakthroughs in materials and in surgery methods that now make surgeons increasingly comfortable with all kinds of activity. I literally have no restrictions.

A big problem in the past was the friction between the ball and the new hip socket. That friction generated particles that fell into the bone over time ... and those fallen bone fragments over years and years led to unloosening of the hip. (This is my generalist's description of what's called "osteolysis.")

Most folks get ceramic balls these days on highly crossed linked polyethylene liners and the friction is extremely low, and the wear rates have dropped dramatically. So very few particles are falling into the body and bone. The hip replacements these days are seriously robust.

Not trying to persuade you, but just share a perspective that you really don't need to "take it easy" on the new hip anymore than you would do with your natural hip. Those are the old days. Of course, recovery takes time.

@Going4fun I completely agree. My surgeon said I would be able to run again, in fact it was almost the first question I asked the first time I met him. I have an uncemented system with a Oxinium femoral head (oxidised zirconium, so it’s a metal heat treated to a very high temperature to ceramicise it) with highly cross linked XLPE cup liner. Smith + Nephew Polar 3.

Let me just toss this out. I don't want to discourage you but rather encourage you to take your "down" time seriously. We all want to heal faster than our bodies do, want to get back to whatever our normal is immediately. That just isn't a realistic expiation with any joint replacement. Walking is wonderful, but over walking not so much. You get the jest here. Recovery doesn't happen over night, try to be patient and then you can in earnest begin your walking.

All ready here . Pre op testing all done, going to be done outpatient nice new surgery center, I get to go home same day. 12 more sleeps!!

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
Sounds like you’re getting close. I wish you comfort as you’re awaiting your surgery date. Just think, you’ll be home for Christmas with a brand new hip! :banana-santa:
@newguy

Great position - first up on the day. You will be tucking into a nice lunch post op.

All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side!

:banana-santa:
Yay... new hip for Christmas!
Bye bye hip pain:yes!:

Best Wishes tomorrow. You'll be home and on the mend in time for Christmas.
What a New Year you’ll have! Will look forward to following your recovery thread on the healing side.
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@newguy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties