TKR December 16 2 weeks away

CANCUN1986

Country
United States United States
I am new to this and just wanted to put on here that I will be having my right knee done December 16. I love reading all the information here, I think this will help me a lot during recovery.

Welcome to BoneSmart! I'll put your surgery information in your signature for you and get you added to the December group.

Meanwhile, here is a bit of information that might help you prepare for your recovery.
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Happy to have another December surgery on here!
Is this your first joint replacement?

yes mam,
I have to have both knees replaced eventually but this will be my first knee replacement on the 16th. In the last 5 years I have had both of my hips replaced and I did really well, so I am hoping all goes well with this. But I will admit, I am sorta SCARED.

Hi @CANCUN1986

Please will you tell us the full dates of both your hip replacements and which hip it was each time, so we add that information to your signature for you?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

RTHR 4/2015 ANTERIOR WENT VERY WELL
LTHR 7/2017 ANTERIOR WENT VERY WELL
I LIVE IN HOUSTON AND WE HAVE A GREAT ORTHOPEDIC HOSPITAL HERE

We will be thinking about you and wish all the best for you. I am having my left knee replacement on dec 10 2020, my first was on June 25th of this year. You will be fine, everyday is better then the last day and the recovery just requires patience. Your best friend will be a ice machine ... recommend purchasing one so you have for longer period of time then renting one. Cheers to you and your new knee!!

Thank you for the dates of your hip replacements, @CANCUN1986 .
I've added them to your signature.

Welcome @CANCUN1986! You will find wonderful resources here and wisdom from others who have walked in your shoes ... literally. I had my hips done first and then right knee followed by my left 7 weeks later (they were supposed to be bilateral, but that's another story you can find in my thread - link below).
Recovery from a knee replacement is different than a hip - no getting around that. Since you had a good experience recovering from the hips, that bodes well, together with your confidence in a first-rate ortho hospital. With the knee, there are a lot more tissues involved and the surgery is done in a smaller area - not much room at that joint. What that means is you will need to be patient with your knee afterwards. There will likely be more swelling and discoloration but it is totally normal - and it will go back to normal! Do follow the advice you will be given here - lots of ice, elevate (gets the swelling down), rest, and keep up with your med schedule. Don't overdo and don't feel like you have to push through PT afterwards. You'll find many here who did none and - whala! they recovered as well as those who did some PT. You'll be dancing in no time. :dancy: And when you have to get the other one done, you'll be able to join the Four Replacements Club here on BoneSmart!

Hi CANCUN1986! Our thoughts will be with you! You are not alone, I think we are all kinda scared. But we are together on this forum, and we armed with information!

Thank you for all the encouraging words, now it is just getting to the 16th and beyond. I believe this message board has been a blessing for many. I will check back after the 16.

Hey @CANCUN1986 - how are you? We've not heard how everything went and how you are getting along! Happy New Year and happy new knee!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom