THR Decadeofbliss's Recovery Thread

Decadeofbliss

Country
United States United States
Hello! I just discovered this. I had a RTHA 1/16/2020, otherwise known as the day I got my life back!

My husband saw an emoji in my badge of honor. He thinks it is the second best part of my body, second only to my c-section scar. Postier replacement with a Superior approach using a MAKO robot you can kinda see one of the three incisions for the robot on the top of my hip bone. Picture taken 2/17, surgery 1/16.

Attachments

• FFEA2B10-DC82-4B98-BA91-0C5D4BD3B3D5.jpeg
    FFEA2B10-DC82-4B98-BA91-0C5D4BD3B3D5.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 155
Hi @Decadeofbliss and a welcome

Looks like your surgery was the week before mine
Hope you can post to the forum some more details on your recovery and any little hiccups.
I’ve found BoneSmart forum an excellent source of information and reassurance. A friendly Internet forum with lots of fellow hippies .
Sounds like you’re healing well and hope your new hip continues to give you bliss

Hello @Decadeofbliss - and :welome:

I have copied two of your posts and started a recovery thread for you. Please continue to post in this thread about your recovery, and not in the other threads, both of which are not for chatting.

Here, in this thread, we can talk about your recovery without disrupting the other threads.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello @Decadeofbliss
Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us! Congrats on your new hip.

I believe you’ll love having your own thread where you can journal in regard to your progress, seek advice and obtain responses, as well as receive support and encouragement from those who‘ve gone before you or are in recovery also.
Have a great rest of the day and stay in touch! :wave:

Hello! I am just thrilled with my life post-op. My hip was bone on bone, with the femoral head looking like a stop sign. I am 39 and have Ankylosing Spondylitis and it decided to eat my hip for me. I was off my walker within 3 days. I keep my cane around because my right knee isn't so great and it's being looked at in order to determine if it needs to be replaced or not.

I graduated PT 3/12 and was pulled off our precautions on 3/10. I hit a HUGE milestone this past weekend. I tied my own shoes..on both feet!

I still have a ton of strength to rebuild in my right leg as I really didn't use it much for the last few years. I was at the gym 3 weeks post op, but had to stop due to the pandemic.

Hello and welcome!
You are doing very well, I can imagine that you had some significant pain with that bone on bone hip.

It is so exciting to feel so good, isn't it? Plus you tied your shoe laces!
You will be fine with the cessation of PT, the hip doesn't need a lot of exercises to improve.. just walking with a good 'heel toe' gait is one of the best things you can do and hey, many of us used a cane for support.
Sorry to hear about your knee, though. I hope it allows you to continue to walk.

You sound so pleased and that makes me smile! Congratulations on your shiny new hip. :flwrysmile:

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
It seems you’re doing great. May it only get better month by month.
Be safe and stay well. Keep in touch! :wave:
@Decadeofbliss

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a wonderful Memorial weekend and Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Decadeofbliss

@Decadeofbliss
Sounds like your recovery went very well. I am 9 weeks post op from a superior approach THR on left side. You also had this approach, correct? THere aren't many people on the forum who mention having this surgery done in this manner. I am wondering what you remember about pain 2 months out...
I don't have a lot of pain, but the area around and on top of the incision is still sensitive to touch/pressure, and I have a lot of achiness in my glutes/periformis. I can walk a couple of miles fairly easily though I feel it the next day. Did you do PT? What was your experience with that? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you can offer from your experience, and I hope you have continued to make great progress!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom