THR Debbie’s New Right Hip

Things sound like they are going well, happy for you.
Did they give you compression socks....I'm hoping not to get them. I read they aren't really necessary.

I hope my recliner is comfy...haven't tried sleeping on It yet.

Looking forward to following your recovery and comparing notes.

@Hoppy Nanny Hi, Chrissie! It’s so good to see a familiar name. I am having a much better recovery than with my other hip. The pain I was feeling earlier seems to be getting better. My only problem now is constipation. I’ve been taking stool softeners and drinking milk of magnesia like it’s water. Somethings got to give pretty soon. How are you doing?

@Dmcfad2 Do you have a particular food that you really like but it does not like you back? For me it's onion soup! I love the stuff but every time I eat it my digestive system clears out completely. It was a wonderful antidote to post surgical constipation for me :yes!:

@Dmcfad2 post-surgery constipation is the worst! As cliche as it is, drinking coffee and black tea has really helped me keep the “systems moving.” Hope it clears up soon!

:wave:@Dmcfad2
These first days are tough ...
But sure am glad you are ok the heading side and All Temporary.
I also remember the constipation problem that came with my much needed meds and kept on stool softeners for the first weeks.
Still took my system a bit to get regular but at least the "go" wasn't as difficult.:nah:

Hang in there new double hippy. :flwrysmile:

Day 3. Well, everything is better today. My bathroom issues have resolved. My stomach is kind of churned up, probably from all the laxative/stool softeners I’ve been taking! My pain is minimal. I am taking oxy10 every 4 hours along with Tylenol every 8 hours and Celebrex every 12 hours. If my pain stays like this, I am going to start weaning off the oxy tomorrow by going longer between doses. I am so amazed at the minimal pain level with this THR! When they did my left hip 7 years ago, I was in horrible pain for weeks! I can not get over how good I feel. I am walking with the walker, putting full weight on my new hip without issue. I am sleeping well in my recliner. Went to sleep at 10:30 pm. Woke up once to take pain meds and use the bathroom. Then woke up at 5:30 am and made coffee. I get tired in the early afternoon, so I am taking naps. Today my son and daughter-in-law are coming to visit.

Happy Friday Debbie, thanks for the update.
Wow, you are doing well! How nice to have a recovery that feels easier than the first. Good to read your bathroom issues have resolved and you’re sleeping well also. I hope you have a peaceful relaxing weekend! :)
@Dmcfad2

Excellent the pain is manageable that’s what I like to hear

I have no pain right now either. I hope this continues. I already told the nurse I want to stay ahead of the pain. She agrees.
No swelling yet either. Will see how that works.
Keep sharing I am enjoying your positive journey.

Day 4. I went from 10pm last night to 6am this morning without a pain pill. I just took 1000 mg of Tylenol at midnight. I could tell the difference a little bit, but it wasn’t that bad. I am taking oxy10 during the day every 4-5 hours. I am still not doing much. Today I have been resting and icing my hip. I can do ankle pumps, heel slides, quad and gluteal squeezes with ease. i am doing 20 minutes on the pedi cycle, too. I am using my walker when I get up, concentrating on walking properly. I feel a bit of stiffness when I first get up for a walk around the house, but it’s not bad at all. I continue to be amazed at how much better my pain is with this THR compared to my left hip in 2014. It’s like night and day. I’m wondering if it is because I had anterior this time. All in all, things are great.

Great news. So happy it’s going well for you.

I was just telling my sister that my surgeon must have gentle hands made out of gold because no pain. Also taking 5mg of oxy and don’t know if I even need it because no pain. But I’m not taking any chances. I had posterior and I just have some numbness on the incision site and that’s it. Too good to be true. I am also just a bit stiff. When I do the exercises it loosens up a bit. I’m in the hospital till tomorrow. I’m definitely ready to go home. These vital checks are what is exhausting me more than the surgery. Lol

Day 5. I continue to feel fantastic with my pain well controlled. I skipped my middle of the night pill again. I don’t think I will need it anymore. My incision still feels tight and sore, but it has only been 5 days! I walked once around my pool in my back yard today with just a cane and seem to be able to do it without limping. I will use my walker most of the time for now, though. I have PT coming tomorrow to evaluate me. I know that I have to be careful to not do too much too soon. Now, I’m back sitting down with ice on my hip.

Welcome to recovery @Dmcfad2 You're doing well.

Jaycey left you the Recovery Guidelines, back in Post #2.

Wow...super recovery. You have graduated to a cane.
I will need to use a walker for a month but I don't mind. Whatever gets me healed properly.

Grateful for this forum.

I continue to be amazed at how much better my pain is with this THR compared to my left hip in 2014.
More proof every THR is different - even on the same person. There have also been some advances in pain control. These days, before they close the surgical site they inject pain medication around the joint. Really reduces that horrid pain just post op.

Sounds like you are doing really well!

Yes! I agree.
My surgeon used the anesthetic Exparel (numbing agent) which blocks nerve impulses. He injected it in the area of the incision before closing and the effect lasts up to 72 hrs. Personally, I think this got me over / through that hump of day three and four that many stress about and some experience.

You’re doing great and how wonderful to have your second recovery feel easier than the first, rather than visa versa. Best of luck today with your PT evaluation. Don’t allow them to push you into anything that stalls your great progress. Happy Monday! :)
@Dmcfad2

Day 8. I am still using my walker, but I have PT coming today. I am going to have her evaluate my walk with a cane. I have walked wonky for years and I am really concentrating on a heel to toe walk, following through on each step. I really have to think about it to retrain myself. It’s easy to do when I have my walker, but may be more of a challenge with my cane. I have minimal swelling pain my leg. I’m doing good. Still taking pain meds.

I am really concentrating on a heel to toe walk, following through on each step. I really have to think about it to retrain myself

Me too! It does take concentration when your gait has been off due to a deteriorating hip. I think I found heel-toe walking easier with the cane than the walker, but we’re all different. I hope you have a good PT session today. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back