TKR Days of Recovery (TKR 1/4)

Well, Hello ALL! Entering week 11. Knee a still bit heavy still from the bad cold I had. But I'm moving a bit faster

Did ok at work today and yesterday but jumped in bed as soon as I could (6:59 PM) when getting home.

I mistakenly sat down quickly/ deeply into a VERY low seat in the office of a co-worker. Cause my knee to really grasshopper compress (ouch!). Hurt bad but getting better. Extension motions (gentle) are helping.

Bed time at 7:00 or eight is a bit early but sometimes I need it after work - then I get up again about 11:00 calling it a nap. Or just stay in bed.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you are doing really well.
Sensible to take it easy after work.
Totally agree about low chairs!
 
Ouch! I did that with first tkr!
You're doing great at 11 weeks! I'm starting 10 weeks today and couldn't imagine working yet.
And I hit the bed by 8 to watch tv. Without putting in a days work LOL
Curious about your heavy knee. Do you think your cold made it feel heavy? Cuz mine feels like a giant redwood lately! And I didn't have a cold.
 
Well regardless to having vaccinations I contracted COVID (this is not an uncommon narrative).

Some pain behind my eyes was noted this weekend but was improving. Otherwise no major symptoms (coughing or nose running). The day I was most sick was over the weekend. Perhaps that was a common flu...

I have the option of testing easily so did so yesterday evening. Today's afternoon result was Positive.

This perhaps explains the general increased heaviness in legs I've felt beyond common cold and the increased exhaustion and a slow-down in general I'd attributed to working too hard.
I am now working remote from home for the time being... :scary:......
 
Last edited:
Aww, I am so sorry! I certainly hope your symptoms don't worsen and you feel better soon!
Give yourself lots of TLC. Sending a healing hug your way, LD. :console2:
@LD of Michigan
 
Sorry about the Covid diagnosis. It is a strange illness and probably is the cause of any odd symptoms like the heaviness. Hope you feel better soon. Don't work too hard- even at home.
 
@LD of Michigan So sorry you caught the dreaded Covid! I also had it last year at this time despite having all the vaccines. But the good news is the symptoms are not debilitating. I just found the exhaustion a bit tough. Be good to yourself!
 
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concern...:flwrysmile:. I feel good this am - less pain in knee and probably on tail-end of COVID. From some reading I've learned I was probably highest in symptoms already - thinking it was a cold.

I was sick with a hard-coughing cold right before surgery in December yet tested negative - and had TKR. So I do think a standard virus IS afoot. My self-isolation continues four-five days. Ending if no further symptoms.

I'll retest again. My immune system is pretty high but I interact very heavily with the public at points per my job.
 
Last edited:
Well, Hello ALL! Entering week 11. Knee a still bit heavy still from the bad cold I had. But I'm moving a bit faster

Did ok at work today and yesterday but jumped in bed as soon as I could (6:59 PM) when getting home.

I mistakenly sat down quickly/ deeply into a VERY low seat in the office of a co-worker. Cause my knee to really grasshopper compress (ouch!). Hurt bad but getting better. Extension motions (gentle) are helping.

Bed time at 7:00 or eight is a bit early but sometimes I need it after work - then I get up again about 11:00 calling it a nap. Or just stay in bed.
Glad to read how you manage following work.
Returned work but from home beginning of week 9. Went into office last Tues. All I wanted was to get home ice and elevate.
Now don't feel so alone knowing it tires others.
 
Yes, you never need to feel alone here... :console2: I'm working from home due to COVID for now.

Have been up since 6:00 AM working on laptop computer, completing assignments and mingle-mangling emails and other work. No Zooms or Teams thankfully as I'm in bed in pajamas, plain-faced and bit puffy/ dark under-the-eyes LOL! I must say even without having contracted COVID it was a bit tiring getting dressed/ made-up to be presentable (smile) and drive to work too!

Per my last TKR when I went back to work (7 weeks) I'd sometimes dive into the bed when I got home but thankful for ADLs work provided. Sometimes I'd get back up at cook and do other stuffs then go to bed for the night at about 10. COVID made me EXTRA tired - unable to get back up, extra sluggish in the legs after doing so well. That's when I decided to test for COVID.
 
Last edited:
A family member and a friend thought I should let my TKR surgeon know I tested positive for COVID. I'd not thought that was necessary (I have no major symptoms) but, called and awaiting doc to call back Monday.

I feel better, though pretty exhausted and mainly in bed the last 36 hours and now feeling weak from being so sedentary. Not sure. My knee is a bit warm but it's still young and the other one took a while to cool down (about five months), so I don't think COVID has had any impact. But just to be on the safe side I made the call.
 
Feel for you LD!
You've had major surgery, returned to work, and now Covid. IMHO I think its good to let your surgeon know about Covid. Rest up and take care. Let us know how you're doing. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you. I think I got a tad depressed about it all and slept another seven hours straight - in and out. Hah!

I was behind on sleep so not going to beat myself for that. I am thankful that I am well. But sluggish.

Need to stretch these limbs from staying in bed so long. Stiff from inactivity.
 
Seven hours straight is remarkable! That's wonderful and I'm jealous! I think your downtime has done your knee some good, giving it extra time to heal.
 
It was in and out as my Fitbit recorded. Still I was in bed!
Can't wait until my quarantine is over so I can go take a walk... :flwrysmile:... Getting warm here finally!
 
Back
Top Bottom