THR Day Three - Going Home

Lucy155

Country
United States United States
Well, I'm on the other side! Total right hip replaced on Tuesday, going home today. Not quite a piece of cake as everyone said. Had a bad yesterday afternoon... following a PT/OT session. Walking to bathroom was tough, followed by bad pain episode... started shaking, not able to calm myself. Nurse was very responsive, gave me Dunlaudid, which was quick acting. It's VERY important to keep up pain meds the first three days, probably more!

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello and Welcome to recovery! I'm sorry you had a rough start, hopefully you're feeling better now. I'll leave the Recovery Guidelines for you to read once you're resting comfortably at home. Safe travels!

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Abbylayla

Country
Hope it starts getting easier for you real soon!! And welcome to Bonesmart. Lots of people to help encourage you & trade experiences here.

BellaMac

Country
Hi Lucy, hope you are having a better night. It does get better and pain free.

OP
OP
Lucy155

Lucy155

Country
Day 11, I think. Pain is minimal, but still have a lot of swelling. PT says swelling will go down with gradual motion increase and PT. The rough start with my other post surgery issues kept me in bed for five days with little PT. A bit behind, but I should catch up.

Met with Surgeon yesterday, removed stitches. He says not to worry about other surgeries I may need, get the surgeries done and he will take care of any hip issues that may come up as a result.

beachgal

post-grad
Country
@Lucy155, what a great update!! I’m at 8 days post-op and still dealing with random flair ups that just make me shake my head! I think I slept a bit off-center last night so while all the hip and leg muscles seem better, I’m having to do some back stretches to sort it out. As I move about, it’ll subside.

Have a peaceful and calm weekend and remember to continue the icing and water intake. Those dang muscles love and respond to both! Good job! And, yes, one step at a time, one day at a time!
:loveshwr:

Eman85

big-cheese
Country
Don't get too worried about any missed PT, in the early days of recovery there is nothing to be gained from any PT. Ice, ice and more ice will help with swelling. Your getting behind is actually a good thing as it gave your body a chance to heal.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi Lucy :wave:
PT says swelling will go down with gradual motion increase and PT.
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

A great week to you!

OP
OP
Lucy155

Lucy155

Country
Wow, I'm getting the message that PT isn't the priority at three weeks. I think I agree. I moved from the Walker to the cane 50% of the time a few days ago. Today I did laundry and walked next door to visit with a neighbor. It felt good to "get out".
I made wedding soup requiring me to stand for 30 minutes. Add clean up and I find myself with a decent back ache, not wanting to move from the chair to get my ice. I guess I over did it??!! Why my back and not my hip???? Hip feels pretty good.

Live and learn!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I made wedding soup requiring me to stand for 30 minutes. Add clean up and I find myself with a decent back ache, not wanting to move from the chair to get my ice. I guess I over did it??!! Why my back and not my hip???? Hip feels pretty good.
Well...
I'll let you sing it...you know the melody of this old song from childhood :wink:

Your leg bone connected to your knee bone
Your knee bone connected to your thigh bone
Your thigh bone connected to your hip bone
Your hip bone connected to your back bone

You may have entered the ODIC. Over Did It Club as its known around here.
Some Wedding Soup, Rest and Ice should have you back to where you were in no time.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing evening!

djklaugh

Staff member since December 30, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Lucy155 Adding to what Layla said - all the muscles connecting bones to each other are also connected to the other muscles. If you limped on a bad hip for quite a while it is going to take time for all those muscles to get use to being in a new normal and get reconditioned to functioning with a new hip.
So for a while it is going to be usual and customary to have odd aches, pains, and twinges in areas not directly related to the hip.

That wedding soup sounds delicious!

steveeasy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Lucy.
Piece of cake. Nope. Ive not listened. came home felt fine. too much walking and I cant walk at all now. I cant see a way through the forest at present but I recon most people get there it just takes as they say Time.

Steveeasy

Country
Lucy,
When I would stand at stove, counter, sink for too long my back would be screaming so it's all quite normal, ice, feet up, rest.
Trust me, you will come to recognize the days you can and can't get stuff done.
I wake up, have a loose plan for the day and do what I can! LOL!
Patience.

OP
OP
Lucy155

Lucy155

Country
Need some education regarding how easy an infection can happen if I have a colon resection done at 12 week post op? I had an unrelated perforated colon and sepsis, two DAYS after my hip replacement surgery. The colon surgeon did not want to do a resection at the time due to the major concerns about infecting the hip. After five days in hospital with IV antibiotics and 30 more days of oral 875 Mg of Augmentin 2x daily, I am now back on the same dose of Augmentin due to Colon infection flare again. I am scheduled for resection surgery on December 14. Hip surgeon is concerned, stating he wants me on the Augmentin immediately after the colon surgery. I guess I don't have a choice, but can anyone tell me how likely the hip will get infected with all these me antibiotics running through my veins?

P.S. Its eight weeks and I got all restrictions lifted, walking a perfectly normal gate. I walk 4-6,000 steps a day without being tired!! Incredibly happy with my hip!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello Lucy,
Thanks for stopping by with an update. Great news on restrictions being lifted and enjoying a normal gait once again. Thankfully you're happy with the progress you're making with your new hip.

I am sorry to read of the the struggles you've had with infection in regard to your colon. My guess is that between your PCP, OS and surgeon they will take every precaution considering your history. Possibly others will stop by to offer feedback. I wish you all the best, a successful surgery, smooth recovery and good health in the New Year.
Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@Lucy155

CricketHip

Staff member since June 5, 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi Lucy, I haven't anything insightful to offer, but wanted to offer you my best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Thankfully we live in an age where there are many different medications/antibiotics and surgical methods to make certain your hip remains healthy.

Please keep us updated.

@Lucy155

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member