• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Day before ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

alpha
Country
United States United States
Chuck, glad to hear from you. I would definitely get the "insurance blanket". The oxycodine does me well. One pill usually does it without knocking me out. They had given me some hydromorphine for when I was really hurting at the two week mark but I rarely need it.
Sounds like you are really getting up and around. Painting.....I hated doing that with two healthy legs. Snow blower??? I've never even seen one. I just absolutely can't even imagine how people live much less drive in that stuff. I saw vehicles sliding all over the road on the news tonight.
I've been able to get up and do more of the house chores I had assumed after I retired. My knee still swells and gets stiff when I push it too much.
Still peddling away on the old torture bike.
Hang in there. By the way, you don't ride that nice motor in snow do you??

Skeet

supremo
Country
You all have way more energy than I. I think it's a good day when I load the dishwasher and remember to turn it on! I do play the piano, watch TV, crochet, work on the computer, but none of those are too demanding physically. Guess I need to pick up my fat, lazy tail end and get busy!

I feel for you with the snow. We had some rain today, but not much. Even had some sun breaks (only Oregon uses that term for weather - says something about our weather, heh?).

I finished my first week of work today. I'm doing better every day. The brain is kicking back in. May even go into the office next week just so folks know I'm still alive. Thanks for all your support. Without the stories about how folks managed to return to work, don't know if I could have done it so easily.

Love you!
Skeet

bsassy

Country
hi skeet...i think the energy level comes and goes....one day i feel i can handle whatever is facing me and another day i don't want to even get out of bed. i guess it's how much we push ourselves. here it is, saturday morn. 10:20 and i'm still in bed watching a movie and playing on my laptop...don't think the hubby is too happy...i know he has high hopes for this week that he's off on vay-k but honestly, just taking my shower, getting to therapy and dealing w/my stepsons is about all i can handle, i don't even want to make conversation at times......but i do, and i'll rally, it's just so darn cold and dreary out w/more snow forcast , it's depressing.....i think once spring comes and it's warm and we can sit on the deck w/our coffee or drink it will change dramatically.....at least i'm hoping! it is what it is & we can't change it so we deal with it.......countdown is on for cast removable!!! 10 days after today......will i keep my sanity till then???!!! (i'm not so sure!) oh well , i too should get my lazy butt in gear but these covers are so nice and warm.....

Josephine

FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
You guys ever thought of changing your meds around? If Hydrocodone leaves you too wired to sleep, why not take something else at night? Have a chat with your doctor and see if he can suggest an alternative.

Here in the UK, I would suggest a cocktail of paracetamol, diclofenac and maybe some codeine phosphate which should not leave a sense of being stimulated to the point of being unable to sleep and yet give good pain relief. It was a mix we often used in recovery for post op pain relief and one I now use for my migraines.

TitaniumMan

Josephine....here in New Jersey, and perhaps all of the US, Doctors are very hesitant to prescribe opiates and other addictive pain meds. I have seen many people addicted to legal pain medicines turn to street level heroin because their Doctor "cut them off". It is very uncomfortable when I ask my Doctor for pain medicine because he either minimizes my pain or wants be to take an over the counter med. Thank God, I am at a point where I do not need medicine for every day activity. But what about the other people, such as friends in this forum, who really need it on a daily basis. As I have said here before, if I ever do another surgical procedure, pain management will be the first topic addressed!
Thanks and God Bless,
Chuck

Skeet

supremo
Country
I just refilled my pain meds for the 5th time (90 per refill) with no questions. I just call the pharmacy and they deal with the doctor. My doctor is quite young - only 32 - so maybe the younger ones have a new philosophy on pain?? How old is your doctor? Just curious if that has anything to do with their approach. My older OS was less free with meds. That said, all my OS have said I need to be pain free enough to do the things to heal, so they have never denied me drugs or given me challenges. They have helped me with ways to wean myself when I've asked, though.

Doug

alpha
Country
I guess I'm very fortunate with my Dr. He told me I would need pain meds for three months and they don't hesitate when I call for renewal.

Chuck, I guess it helps that my Dr. is also a reserve police officer. I taught him how to lift weights when he was a kid.
There is no consistency as to when I need the pain meds. Lately, I can go most of the day w/o using. I do ice down several times. At night, I take them before bed so I can get comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Macintyre
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags