THR Groin Pain When Laying Down

Brandywinegirl7

Country
United States United States
I had my left hip replaced on Monday and was able to go home the same day. The biggest issue I’ve had is lifting my left leg up on the bed! I got a leg lifter from the nurse to use and it’s been a life saver!
Not much of an appetite and dozing off in between doing exercises and walking but my daughter is being strict with me.
Is anyone else doing steps? My cardiologist told me to, in order to minimize blood clots. Wearing compression stockings too!

hi. I just had my left hip replaced Thursday and am following same path as you but wasn’t told anything about steps. Not being able to lift my leg has been frustrating but all in due time! I am walking better as I go, trying to make my walk more “natural” as GF says I’m still stiff like before. Best of luck on your journey, our dates are close so let’s bounce things off one another as we go on!

@Brandywinegirl7 Welcome to the other side. Many surgeon recommend moving around regularly during the day to prevent blood clots. Are you also taking blood thinning medication?

That log leg will ease fairly quickly. The leg has suffer major trauma. Ice and elevation will help reduce all that trauma.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Not sure what you mean about doing steps, do you mean moving your feet to prevent clots? I did what is called ankle pumps to keep the blood flowing, didn't wear compression stockings. Every OS seems to have a different plan. Log leg is pretty common, happened in 50% of my THR's, it will pass.
Have to ask, what exercises are you doing?

Hi @Brandywinegirl7 and welcome to recovery.

Yes, my surgeon also advised me to get up and walk around a bit every hour or so to improve circulation and prevent clots. My husband set an alarm and made me get up every 90 minutes and walk 100 steps. It was very annoying that first week when all I wanted to do was nap, but I think it helped the swelling go down sooner.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I agree that getting out of chair and walking even a little is a good idea. I also think sitting in the same chair all day is bad....at least for me, changing my seating was helpful.

Tomorrow is my 3 month anniversary of THR. We flew to Spain 2 weeks ago and are walking a few miles every day, broken up into 2 or 3 walks. My DH had his THR in Feb. of this year.

We've been thru 5 airports so far and set off alarms at all of them. Airports in either Spain or Mexico (where we live). Mi cadera es un implante, is our new Spanish catch phrase.

There was NO way I could have made this trip pre-surgery....the pain was terrible the last few months pre-operation. So happy with the outcome! Though if you asked me the first week how pleased I was, you might have gotten a different answer!

Time to heal varies for everyone. Don't rush it...I did at times and in hindsight caused myself some unnecessary discomfort. As my Mexican surgeon says, Escucha Su Cuerpo, (Listen To Your Body). That's the best advice IMO.

Hi Everyone and thank you for your responses!
Eman My exercises are heel pumping, sliding my foot up to my thigh, thigh squeezing and butt squeezing. I have to do it three times a day. I walk for ten minutes every hour per my cardiologist because I had a mini stroke two years ago. The steps are to help with circulation too.
Ruth so glad you got to enjoy your amazing trip to Spain!
Mike that log leg definitely sucks but at least we know it’s going away eventually!

All of that sounds good, when someone comes on and mentions exercise many times it's a lot of unnecessary stuff that actually causes more pain than good.

Eman - agreed! I slowed down with the walking because it was causing me more pain. Now I am just getting pins and needles in my leg with or without the compression stockings on. Not sure why but I may call the surgeon’s office if it continues.
How are you doing? :wave:

@Brandywinegirl7
The pins and needles is very likely going to be nerve regeneration. It will happen for months and get lesser over time.
Are you wearing foot to waist compression? That's what my surgeon recommended yesterday when I saw him. Knee high only will get the lymph stuck before it gets to the groin.
What brand do you wear? And are you able to get them on and off yourself?

Pins, needles, zips, zings, zaps and all other sensations will happen while healing. I didn't wear the stockings but I kept doing ankle pumps continuously while I was sitting.

I love how the english say you have niggles!

Now I am just getting pins and needles in my leg with or without the compression stockings on. Not sure why but I may call the surgeon’s office if it continues.
Take comfort in this -

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Happy Sunday...a great week to you! :wave:

Happy One Month Anniversary! Happy Thanksgiving too!
I hope you had a good week and continue to enjoy steady progress.
Take good care and stay in touch. :)
@Brandywinegirl7

Thanks Layla! Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving as well!
Using a cane now and driving but still getting discomfort when sleeping in the groin area. Doing my exercises and walking 4-5k steps a day. Hoping things continue to get better! ☺️

I know that about the same time in my recovery i had some groin pain which worried me because that was where my pain was before surgery. It has totally gone away and i cant remember when it it did. By reading you post it brought back that memory but somehow I quit worrying and it went away.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom