THR Day 3 Post Op

Hibb1016

Country
United States United States
Good Morning Everyone. My right THR on Monday 6/29 went very well. I did outpatient. I went into the OR at 2 pm and was home by 7! PT came to my home yesterday and will be returning today. I’ve basically been doing a little bit of walking and the simple exercises to do in bed. I’m very sore but keeping up with my pain meds. Hoping the soreness will start lessening after the next few days. My mom is here helping as well as my husband and boys. Couldn’t imagine this without them. Thank you all for your support . I love reading everyone’s experiences and advice. I will post again in a week or so. :) Happy to be on the healing side!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi:
So glad you are home and healing. :egypdance:
You are on your way, but these first days can be definitely jarring so keep all Slow and Steady.
Healing mojo coming your way:loveshwr:
Here are the recovery guidelines that proved very helpful to me when I had my hip surgery.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I went into the OR at 2 pm and was home by 7!
It’s like drive-thru joint replacement! :heehee: This always amazes me.
Congrats on that new hip and glad you made it safely home. Sounds like you have a whole crew on board helping. You’re blessed.
Wishing you all the best as you begin healing.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your shiny new hip. I am amazed at such fast turn around time though I think I might have been able to do this with my last hip as I just could not wait to get out and was out by noon the next day.

It is nice to have so many helping hands at home. Don't forget to ice as it really helps with discomfort and any swelling. Icing is recommended for 45-60m at a time and often throughout the day. For me, this translated to basically icing non stop when sitting, reclining or laying down. I also iced at night by taking a small cooler with ice packs to the bedroom with me (upstairs) so every time I woke up or got up to use the bathroom I would change the ice pack to a fresh one.

Hip4life

senior
Country
Ahhh, so good to be done and on the road to recovery. I’m glad everything is going so well but don’t get discouraged if in the next few days, you start to have more pain and stiffness. This is when things can really start to wake up and ramp up. Hopefully it won’t but don’t give up the pain meds, icing and elevating too soon. Wishing you the best in continued healing. Looking forward to your next update. ❤

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @Hibb1016, welcome to the healing side! Wow, an seriously amazed at your quick turnaround, that is crazy! Not that I probably wouldn't have jumped at the chance to do the same but I was pretty out of it so better that I stayed put till next morning.

Definitely try to stay ahead of the pain, playing catch up is no fun. Take your meds as prescribed, ice, elevate, hydrate and sleep whenever you can. The first week or two can be a bit of a pain, no pun intended, but it does get better.

Pink Peony

Country
Hi HIbb1016, it looks like we are surgery twins, as I also had my surgery on June 29th. Like you, I was also on an outpatient basis.

I will be following your journey, as it is nice to have someone who had surgery the same day!

Happy healing!

Softtail

senior
Country
Recliners are great, wish I had one. In our florida home have 2, but all my operations have been back here in NY, so have made the best of it between couch and chair.
Not far ahead of you , operation on 26th, but mobility has jumped up ,and pain is under good control with tylenol ,gabapentin, and Celebrex.
Hope both our recoveries go smoothly.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I loved my recliner for my recoveries. It was the most comfortable for me. I hope it does the same for you.

Hip4life

senior
Country
I’m glad you’re getting the recliner today. Just in time for those uncomfortable days. Let’s see...bed-bathroom-walk-recliner-elevate-ice-walk-kitchen-walk-recliner-elevate-ice-nap-repeat in whatever combination (with meds) to get as comfortable as one can. It’s a simple routine but it gets you to the less painful days. Simple is good for a while. Hang in there. Healing blessings. ❤

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Hibb1016 and welcome to the recovery side of things.
Oh my gosh, did I ever love my lift recliner, glad you are nestled happily on yours, now.
if only it could also bathe us... :snork:
looking forward to following your recover, it takes patience and lots of ice!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How is recovery going for you? We’d love to read an update on your progress if you care to share. Hoping all is going well and you’re enjoying your new hip, minus the old pain.
A great rest of the Summer to you! :SUNsmile:
@Hibb1016

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
jakess61
Recent bookmarks