Hip Arthroscopy Pain 12 weeks post op

Lindylou30

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi im new to the group and feeling quite low today, i have some nerve damage in the top,of my foot since op and Surgeon told me can take up to six months to settle? Has anyone else suffered this?

@Lindylou30 Welcome to BoneSmart! Can you give me the exact date of your surgery and which hip? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

Sorry you are feeling low. Yes we have had several members who suffered nerve damage. Nerves do take a very long time to heal. Since you are only days out of surgery you are just starting this recovery journey. Post op blues are very common. This too shall pass!

I'll leave you with some reading. These articles may answer questions you have about this recovery.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Lindylou30,
I had nerve damage after my TKR, numbness on the bottom of my foot, seemed like it took forever to return. It did not hurt so was not a problem for me.
Do you have pain with your nerve damage, or is it just numb?

Last edited:
Hello @Lindylou30 - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your hip surgery, what you had done, and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

By the way, I've moved your post and its thread to the Hip Surgery Recovery Area, since you have had your surgery.
I hope you start to feel better soon.

the date of my proceedure was the 23rd March 2020 and it was performed on my left hip

Hello Lindylou :wave:
It’s been a month now since surgery and I hope you’re doing well since you last posted.
Please leave an update. We’re here for support and would love to offer encouragement as your healing journey continues.
Happy One Month Anniversary! Wishing you a pleasant weekend.
@Lindylou30

:hi: Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hoping all is well with you and will look froward to an update...when time allows.
Be safe, stay well and enjoy life with your new hip! :)
@Lindylou30

Im eleven weeks post op, am almost back to normal, apart from sitting which is very uncomfortable and not sure why! Scar also still a bit sore on outside of left thigh!

Lindylou30,
Depending on what was done during your arthroscopy, as an example: anterior labrum repair, that could explain why sitting is uncomfortable.
You are still in the early days of recovery at 11 weeks, while a lot of healing has occurred and you feel much better, it can take a year+ for complete healing.

Hello @Lindylou30
I also found it uncomfortable to sit too long for a few months post op. I especially found it difficult while in the car, possibly because I was more restricted there. Please don’t forget about icing any areas of discomfort while your sitting.

I often felt like I was sitting on something the size of a golf ball, but with the firmness of tennis ball. As silly as it sounds, that’s my best description of the discomfort I dealt with. I’ll bet yours eases with time and hopefully is more of an annoyance than actual pain.

My incision was tender in certain areas up until almost nine months post op, so give that time also.

Best wishes as you continue to heal. :)

Thank you for your reassurance, and yes you are right i suppose i am still in the early stages of healing. ❤️

Hi forgot to mention in my last post, my surgeon has told me i have suffered some nerve damage in my foot caused throught my hip op, as the top of my foot in numb he said this could take up to a return to normal? Over the past few days my foot and lower leg has started tingling really bad, is this normal? I am 11 weeks post op this week!

@Lindylou30 you sent me a PM but I think you meant to post the question here. I changed your thread title for you.
Hi all, I am 12 weeks post op today and still have pain in my leg after exercising and walking, is this normal! Also i still get tingling and stiffness! I need some reassurance as never had a post op check due to hospital being closed due to covid 19.
Many thanks x

What exercises are you doing now? Yes, at 12 weeks post arthroplasty many still have discomfort. As others have said (above) it is still early days in what can be a year long process. Are you icing your hip?

Hi i am doing lots of walking! Also doing the exercises the Physio gave me from the hospital, swinging my leg out to the side 20 times , stretching it back behind me whilst standing 20 times, raising me knee up 20 times and also riasing up behind me 20 times, all standing, twice per day! Also,i am totally back to normal with household chores apart from hoovering! Dressing and showering is fine too! I thought i would be almost pain free by now! I am also not taking any pain meds as they upset my stomach as i suffer from Chrons and Diverticulat disease! I am still using one cane to walk!
Thank you for your help and info, i really appreciate it!

Hi...Happy Monday!

Sorry you’re struggling with some pain. I am going to re-post a phrase I posted elsewhere just days ago because I think it pertains -

“Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change”

How about you stop all of the maneuvers with your leg? The swinging, stretching, raising and continue with walking only (not to excess) and all else you do in a day. I’ll bet the pain lessens and disappears if you give up the exercises for a several weeks. If the pain goes, which it likely will, you’ll know the cause. Try it...I think it will be worth it.

A great week to you!
@Lindylou30

I did read an article somewhere saying that no matter what you do, your hip will heal anyway! Its what the body does!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back