Lounge Doctor

THR Day 1 surgery day

cetch1

Country
United States United States
Can't go home as too much pain to pass physio tests. Pain level in bed 2-4 so all good. Op was easy, doc called my son right after and I have had 2 visits from him. Kind of nice to be in hospital with meals delivered. Tonight I actually stood up and was able to take 2 steps with a walker to bedside commode. PT lady comes at 9am to see if I can pass tests and they will go over with my son. So happy to be on the other side. Doc says my X-rays look excellent

Last edited by a moderator:

Hippielife

senior
Country
Welcome to the other side. Sending lots of encouragement and support for a good recovery.
to hear you took two steps on day of surgery is really amazing. Tomorrow you’ll pass all the requirements to go home. Be sure that pain meds are given before steps it help with pain. Second day I was walking up and down hospital halls always had pain meds to control pain Ready to go home and get some sleep.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @cetch1
Good to see you All Done and on the Healing Side.:loveshwr:

Sounds like they are taking care of you and hopefully they are getting your meds tweaked so you can be as comfortable as possible.
Early days are a bit tough, but just keep telling yourself All Temporary. This mantra helped me alot post op.
Hope you are able to go home soon.

Meanwhile, Here are your recovery guidelines...

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

JohnWilky

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well done C , looks like you’re in good spirits post op, I,m due in March 1 so excuse inquisitive questions.Did you have spinal ? Was you aware of the reconstruction, how long was it post op before you got your marbles back ? How long did it take ? How did you sleep , both position and actual sleep?

Wishing you a speedy recovery , keep posting your progress , very interesting , best of luck .

OP
OP
C

cetch1

Country
Hi John,
Good luck on your March op! Spinal was easy Peasy. Didn’t feel or hear anything. Awake in Recovery room about an hour after op- hungry and thirsty. Pain level about 7 grew to 8 - had 15 mg Oxy. More later as nurses here

OP
OP
C

cetch1

Country
Pain level in bed last night and this morning 2-3!!! Didn’t take any Oxy last night. 1000 mg Tylenol last night and this morning. About 5-6 hours sleep/ dozing. Many interruptions for monitoring but all ok as no pain lying here. Getting out of bed to use bedside potty on the other hand pain level in parts to 8 at last night. Today 7 and short lived. Glad to be off catheter. Have not taken any more Oxy.

OP
OP
C

cetch1

Country
Day 2
Pain has arrived in the form of PT. Passed the hospital test walking down the hall, up and down stairs but wow pain a sharp 12 when I moved the op hip. Need help getting op leg onto bed. But now I am home and poor son has to help me to bedside commode, her leg onto bed. Am on 5mg oxycodone every 4 hours so I can get out of the bed. Pain relaxes to a 4 on bed. More tomorrow

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
You didn't mention ice @cetch1. Ice for 45-60 minutes at least 4-5 times a day, but I iced constantly in the first few days and it really helped. Just make sure to keep something between the ice and your skin.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh @cetch1 :console2:
The first week, especially, was certainly not a picnic.

I wasn't aware of the possibility of a "log leg" effect, and was quite concerned.
But many hippys here assured me they had the same issue and it does subside.
Your leg is super traumatized right now, and FCBayern is right....ICE is the best :ice:
Keeps the swelling down and numbs the pain.

Healing hugsxxxx

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
But now I am home and poor son has to help me to bedside commode, her leg onto bed.
Welcome to Recovery! I’m sorry you’re struggling with pain. If you don’t have a Leg Lifter, you can use a simple tie from a bathrobe to lift your leg, yourself, onto the bed.
Wishing you lots of comfort today. :console2: Ice, ice, ice as those above mentioned. It really helps.

Schaargi

senior
Country
Yes, many people can't lift their leg (hence the term "log leg"). I found it a bit comical (ya gotta have a sense of humor). It will pass. Don't stress about the physical therapy. Just heal.

OP
OP
C

cetch1

Country
Day 3. Yes ice and Percocet and Tylenol around the clock! It’s helping. Somehow in the middle of the night I got up my self and made it to the potty. But son deserves a Purple Heart. It’s pain level 2 in bed and 8 when I get up. Better than 12 yesterday

Sticker Lady

senior
Country
Sounds like you're on the road to recovery, cetch 1! I found the first 4 days were much harder than I was expecting but then things began to improve. Getting pain under control was a challenge and was definitely the key to feeling better. As others have said, ice, ice, ice. Be kind and patient with your body as it heals and becomes strong. My progress has been slow but steady and I'm OK with that. This is our best chance to do this right!!! Best of luck in the days ahead!

OP
OP
C

cetch1

Country
Day 4. PT at home. Can get to my potty by myself if I have pain pill in me or within 2 hours of next dose. Yay. Can do 5or 6 steps with pain level 7. In bed pain 2 or zero. PT was surprised at amt of pain I was in but I’ve been having hip pain for 4 years, sciatica and on walker for 3 months before surgery. Good friend has been staying with me for the weekend along with my son. We’ve been ordering food to go and my spirits are great. Sleeping, icing and lots of potty trips as I am on a water pill

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi:
Glad you are in high spirits as this is very important for our recovery. Stress and anxiety is horrible for our immune systems.
Just kind of have to roll with it right now as you appear to have figured out. Good for you.:ok:
I hope your PT protocol doesn't consist of anything more than some ankle pumps and walking about....and ADLs (Activities of daily living including eating, dressing, getting into or out of a bed or chair, taking a bath or shower, and using the toilet.)
We are, as you say, not only recovering from the surgery trauma, but also from the years of limited ROM and dates on the body due to that horrid hip pain.
I wonder if your doctor might consider adjusting or switching meds to manage your pain better?
I lived on a heating pad for two years pre-op but found ice to be my best friend after THR.
Keep the faith friend, and hope your Sunday is restful and restorative.

Eman85

supremo
Country
I hope the PT is only to show you how to walk and be comfortable at this point, not trying to "strengthen" anything. I'm amazed at the lack of understanding many PT's have of what our bodies have gone through and how each reacts differently. In the hospital the PT's had us doing movements in a group setting and some people were in terrible pain and they still pushed them. With my first I had no problems with the movements but saw others struggle. With my 2nd I was the one struggling but from experience I knew not to push it and not to let them bully me as they did others. Very sad as they are supposed to be respected health care professionals.
I wore a trail from my chair and bed to the bathroom in the early days and I wasn't on a water pill, I can't imagine if I was. The good news is if you had hip joint pain for years and limited ROM that joint is gone and so is the pain. When you do get to move, even in bed, you'll be amazed at the ROM. On the other hand your muscles which haven't been past a certain point will protest this new found movement.

OP
OP
C

cetch1

Country
Day 5. Thanks all of you for your kind thoughts and suggestions. Walked around the kitchen and back to the potty. Am going to have to call advice nurse re water pill. 5 times in 2 hours this afternoon. Prob what is helping my rom and pain as I navigate the potty path so many times. Percocet every 6 hours. Sleeping pretty well even with potty runs

JohnWilky

Country
Good luck C keep it going , for all what’s the craic with icing ? I actually mean the logistics of the process , if you have an anterior op , where do you actually place the ice , and I,m supposing your are using gel packs ( I normally use a frozen bag of peas)
I,m not getting the pain scale either , what are the parameters e,g what was your pain level before the op .
All the very best C keep up with the daily reports, interesting and helpful.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Am going to have to call advice nurse re water pill.
They pump you full of fluids before, during and after the procedure. Many people even notice a weight gain just post op due to all the fluids. Your frequent trips will ease with time.

New

Active Antibacterial
STEPS Challenge

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Miah1996
Recent bookmarks