Lounge Doctor

TKR Daveboy1810 My August 11 TKR (left Knee)

Gingerbread

Country
United States United States
Day #22
Well yesterday's 3week post op meeting with y surgeon went well. He wont do an x-ray until our next appt in October. The meeting lasted all of 5 minutes. Dude is an in and out sort of fellow. He did extend my temporary handicapped placard for another 6 months which is very helpful, I never thought I would be one of those people you see riding the carts at Sam's Club but yep...that's me.
I opted to NOT take the oxy last night and although I slept well without it (using only Ambien) I am not walking as pain-free this morning. Continuing to ice both my knee and upper thigh muscles, where the tourniquet was applied. You would think after 3 weeks the thigh muscle pain would be gone, but it's not yet. The bruises are gone however. It really does take a LONG time for tissue to recovery after TKR.
My wife is showing her first signs of caregiver frustration, saying this morning something to the effect that I am "acting so helpless". So I will try to resume some of my normal chores to keep her happy.
Edit: Although I have a script for outpatient PT at a location of my choice, I am debating doing any of it this time around. I did not find PT to be all that helpful with my recovery last time, but I will see how I feel in a week.
I wish our spouses knew that none of this is an "act". If we could "act" our way into fully functioning knees with proper gait, mobility and function, we'd have done that weeks ago!
I try to help with chores too but it's limited still at 6 weeks out. I'm sorry your wife is frustrated. As women we depend on our men to shoulder many things. I am sure it is hard for her to see you struggle; she is probably scared at the prospect of it not changing in the foreseeable future. I agree with another poster; perhaps encourage her to read the many stories of recovery here. It is not a sure, smooth course. Everyone is different and at the end of the day I believe we all just want to love and know we are loved.
Praying for a happy resolution for you :)

OP
OP
Daveboy1810

Daveboy1810

Country
Day #25
The wife got a break this weekend, she went to a wedding leaving me at home to fen for myself. I'm glad for her to get out of the house. Things continue to slowly improve with my knee. Every day it gets a little easier. My wife will be returning today with my daughter and year old grandson who came up from San Antonio for the wedding. So I an definitely looking forward to seeing them as I only get to do so a few times a year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daveboy1810

Daveboy1810

Country
Day #28
Not much to report except that recovery is slow and gradual. There is still pain in the upper thigh muscle(s) and in the knee where the prosthesis is cemented in. At night I get shin pains as well. I tried to sleep in the bed last night and eventually moved back to the recliner, because I just could not get comfortable. I need to lie on my back because sleeping on either side get uncomfortable. I hate kneeling on my new knees as well and can only do it on a cushioned surface.
I'll probably start out patient PT next week just to get a little "encouragement" and advice.
I am just counting the days to go by at this point...

OP
OP
Daveboy1810

Daveboy1810

Country
Day #30
Made the mistake of getting on top during my "manly chore" last night and I am paying the price for it today. Jeesh! Lots of sharp pain in my upper thigh muscle and going up stairs was painful, but it is improving quickly with icing and massage.
One thing that I have been hesitant to post here are the benefits of cannabis. It's legal where I am. I have found that during times of extreme pain and aching at night, smoking one before bed really helps with pain blocking and sleeping. I don't recommend doing it in the day as it may interfere with activities.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
@Daveboy1810 .... generally the guidance for knee replacement patients in resuming sexual activity is to pay attention to your body and what is comfortable but avoid anything that puts significant pressure on your new knee, like kneeling. Sorry you learned this the hard way.

In regard to the use of cannabis as a sleep aid, we don't permit discussions of any cannabis products being used in this way on BoneSmart unless you have coordinated it with your surgeon or GP and state that in your post. Even though the products may be legal where you are located, cannabis and CBD taken orally or smoked can react with other medications you might be taking. Just like any herbal products, your doctors need to know what you're taking and approve before you make the choice to self-medicate.

OP
OP
Daveboy1810

Daveboy1810

Country
@Jamie, yes I felt apprehensive about posting regarding both topics, so thanks for your thoughtful advice. That little romp of mine set me back almost 2 days! Come to think about it there is no exercise that can prepare you either. Kneeling is no fun after a TKR.

Day #32
Feeling OK today, like I have reach a plateau. I am finding that I'm still restless at night because my sleep cycles are way off. Because of limited activity, I find myself napping every couple of hours throughout the day, and this carries into the night. e.g. I'll go to bed at 9 or 10pm and awaken at 12am, 2am and 4am with very light sleep throughout.
Most of the thigh muscle pain has subsided, and most of the pain I now feel is concentrated around the knee area. Most of the time I am taking extra strength Tylenol to alleviate pain. I am still taking a dose of Meloxicam per day. The worst of the recovery is now over but there is still a long way to go...
For those of you who have had their legs straightened during the TKR, one knee at a time, you will likely experience a limp until you have your second knee done and your legs properly matched. This limp will go away after both knees are done, if your surgeon does a good job matching up your conformation.

OP
OP
Daveboy1810

Daveboy1810

Country
Day #35
Most of the discomfort I am feeling these days is in the evening and what I am talking about is the aching in my shins. I found a very good youtube video which purports to answer WHY this pain is common after TKR. Check it out:

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Interesting video. Thanks for posting it. It's nice to see this therapist backing up his advice with scientific documentation. And he is supporting the things we say here on BoneSmart.

Ghostpipe

senior
Country
Cyprus Cyprus
Thank you for that video. I am having shin pain and it’s been a comfort. Particularly the bit about gain in extension causing it. I had a feeling of overextension a few weeks ago, which went within a few days as the odd pains and weird feelings do, and that was about the time the shin pain started.

OP
OP
Daveboy1810

Daveboy1810

Country
Day #39
Just checking in. Thing are progressing nicely and I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am walking quite normally now and the evening shin pain is getting better. I DO think I will begin outpatient PT next week to regain muscle strength. I still take extra strength Tylenol as needed but no more oxy or other pain meds. I look back on my "summer from hell" and I'm very glad I bit the bullet but I sure would hate to go through it all again.

OP
OP
Daveboy1810

Daveboy1810

Country
Day #43
I can finally say I am nearing the light at the end of the tunnel...
I am now walking normally with no pain although I don't do much distance. I still feel a little discomfort sitting and getting up from low seats, and a little shin pain at night which is going away by the day. I know I am not yet 100% but I can see eventually there is a good chance that I will get there. I've never been an all night sleeper but I need to get more sleep for longer periods at night instead of napping throughout the days. I'm still taking extra strength Tylenol a couple times per day.
I am considering outpatient PT just to give me something to do. Sitting in a recliner all summer has made me out of shape even though I lost 15 pounds in the process of recovery.
It's amazing to me the body's ability to heal and adapt...it just takes time and a good surgeon.

Reader525

Country
Day #35
Most of the discomfort I am feeling these days is in the evening and what I am talking about is the aching in my shins. I found a very good youtube video which purports to answer WHY this pain is common after TKR. Check it out:
@Daveboy1810 Thanks for the video. I found this particular physical therapist while searching YouTube. I think he is very reasonable and seems to share a lot of the same thinking that BoneSmart does. He has wonderful videos on walking exercises after a TKR too.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carolyn67
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom