Date for surgery 28 February

kayjaydee

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi. I've now got a date for my surgery, and am trying to plan for how to cope afterwards. I live alone, but could hire a carer to help with things I can't do - what are the main ones likely to be? I can see cleaning toilets and hanging up washing will be a problem, and also washing any dishes that can't go in the dishwasher. How much am I allowed to move the shoulder to begin with, and how does that change over time? I've bought clothes that will be easy to get on and off, I hope I've covered all the options there. I plan to get ready meals at least for the first couple of weeks - how long will I need things I can just put in an oven or microwave? It all seems very complicated!

Welcome to BoneSmart, @kayjaydee.

Is it your shoulder left or right shoulder? Let us know so we can create a signature for you.

I'm sure other members who have been through it will stop by and share their own experiences and advice. Meanwhile, please visit our shoulder recovery area. It's growing daily as more and more of our members receive this life changing surgery.

@kayjaydee Welcome to BoneSmart and the shoulder section! Which shoulder is being replaced and what is your surgery date? We will make a signature for you with that information. As for how to manage after the surgery you should be able to do OK on your own though it does help to have someone with you for a while. Plus the hospital will insist that you have a responsible adult drive you home - no Uber or cabs or public transportation!! I have had both shoulders replaced and I found the right one (dominant side for me) a bit more difficult than the left since I used that side more typically. Practice now doing things one handed though you will be able to use the operated side hand to steady things or hold down something while using the other hand for what ever action needs doing.

You will probably be in a bolster sling for at least a couple of weeks following the surgery. Those things are not too uncomfortable but it is sort of like being 1/2 pregnant. For me I was only allowed to take the sling off for showering, dressing, and doing some very gentle swing the arm exercises. Again for me formal PT did not start until about 4-5 weeks after the surgery ... you need to HEAL first before starting any kind of strengthening and range of motion exercises. The shoulder is a complex joint and muscles and tendons get moved about, reattched, and generally traumatized during this surgery. But if you take things slowly and, as I said above, HEAL first, you should be able to get back to a new pain free normal with in 5-6 months.

It took me several months before shoulder could raise above about waist level ... but everyone is different and each surgery is different too. Now 10yrs and 6yrs after getting new shoulders I can do most everything I need/want to do ... except hook a bra behind my back ( I think each arm got a wee bit shorter with the shoulder surgeries) and do the crawl stroke when swimming ( can't get a smooth around and down motion)

Best of everything to you! Do read threads here and over in the recovery section to see how others have managed this surgery!

I had a call from the pre-op assessment team yesterday - they're not happy with my sodium level. I knew it was low - has been for years - but what I didn't realise was that it poses a risk for anesthesia. So I'm getting bloods done to recheck it - the problem's thought to be due to medication - but I'm now having serious doubts about going ahead with the surgery. I wasn't sure previously whether my shoulder was really bad enough for major surgery, and I think this may have tipped the balance against it.

Please don't give up just yet, @kayjaydee. You should discuss with your surgeon whether you are a candidate for regional anesthesia (a nerve block with sedation) rather than general anesthesia. If not and your low sodium is the result of medication, it may be possible to address it prior to surgery.

Please keep us posted.

Assuming it is down to the medication, it'll be a slow process weaning off it - it's not something you can just stop, there would be withdrawal effects.

Hyponatremia, a condition that occurs when the level of sodium in the blood is too low is a serious consideration ....
With this condition, the body holds onto too much water. This dilutes the amount of sodium in the blood and causes levels to be low.
Limiting water intake is usually the first recommendation.
It is definitely is a concern for surgery and I hope you can get some direction so you can move forward.

I'm having my bloods redone on Friday. And restricting fluids, and gradually reducing the dose of antidepressant that's thought to be causing the problem.

But, in the meantime I've decided not to go ahead with the surgery anyway - I don't think the shoulder problem is acute enough at present to put myself through it, even assuming the sodium has gone up and they'd be prepared to do it. I can live with it as it is - it's a nuisance, but not painful enough to make me desperate for surgery.

This condition can be tricky (my sister struggled with it) but diligence in following protocols Does help...
I understand you not preceeding with surgery at this time and I hope it remains manageable.
Hope your day is sweet:SUNsmile:

My sodium was back in the normal range when retested, up to 136 - best ever! I have an appointment at the orthopaedic hospital in July, so I can go on the list again if the shoulder has got worse.

Good news, please keep us posted!
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@kayjaydee

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member