TKR Coming along<<

@Elad1002, in my personal case, my OS recommended antibiotics 1 - 2 hours prior to dental work for the first year. He also didn’t want any dental work done for the first 90 days after surgery, but that never got communicated to me. I had rescheduled a dental procedure (replace an old filling) due to my knee surgery. I had it done 4 weeks after surgery. Had no issues. My dentist follows whatever protocol the surgeon establishes, even keeps meds in office just in case someone forgets. I have a coworker who had hip replacement and his surgeon requires preventive meds at least two years post surgery. The meds are cheap, sometimes free depending where you get them, but I do worry about the issue of promoting antibiotic resistant bacteria. In the end, it really is a personal decision whether to follow the doctor’s protocol or not.

Current thinking is that it isn't necessary to take prophylactic antibiotics prior to dental procedures. The bacteria in your mouth are not the ones usually responsible for causing joint infections.
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

The over- prescription of prophylactic antibiotics is partly responsible for the proliferation of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

My doc recommends it for 2 years. I'm not sure exactly why, just his protocol.

I feel if I reply to the last persons post that I am replying to them personally when actually I am starting a new topic.
No, if you scoot down and start typing in the empty area at the end of any page you are posting on your own thread. If you want to tag a member just put an @ sign in front of their user name.

Let me know if you want your thread title changed.

Is it ok to get the pneumovac vaccination at 6 weeks po? Thinking about getting that and the new shingles vaccination. My ortho said, "It should be ok"...sounds too non-commital to me.

I had a flu jab just 10 days out from the RTHR. The nurse who was checking my incision suggested I have it then and there.

They gave me my flu shot in my hospital bed four hours after my knee replacement.

So my incision line has turned a darker color but all the reddish areas around the incision line have faded. My husband is a PA and said it looks fine, but I tend to freak out over any changes. No fever, no change in warmth, just perhaps part of the healing. Does it keep changing color? I noticed that little surgical scar on an area on my foot has turned darker too. Maybe it's just what I do.

Mine changed colors, too. So do my other ones, and I have tons of those!

My scar changes colour from a light pink to a burgundy shade. Activity seems to play a role.

Ok, just got back from urgent care. I'm 6 weeks po from a RTKR and last night, while walking to bed, lost my balance and fell down, but not on the surgical side, thank goodness. I now have a spiral fracture in the 5th meta-tarsal of my left foot. I seriously need some positive vibes right now. Good thing I'm only in a boot, no surgery required. 6-8 weeks healing. So the right knee and the left foot can heal together.

Last edited:
@Elad1002, oh no! So sorry to hear about this! Good thing it doesn’t require surgery. Since I like to look on bright side of things, at least now you will have strict limitations on your overall activity so you shouldn’t have to worry about overdoing it for a while.

Thank you for your positivity. I can be a worry wart but I have decided to just go with it, and make the best of it. So, they recommended rest, ice, anti-inflammatory meds, sound familiar?...and the boot! No more worries for me, its mentally incapacitating .

@Elad1002

There’s that analogy about our knees not being in a cast and yet it’s more broken and we try to do more with it than if we had a broken ankle.

Glad nothing serious. Now go rest and heal and pamper yourself.

Thank you, I do remember the analogy...still gonna do straight leg raises, extensions, bending, to keep my ROM, (dont know about bike though.) But at my own pace.

I'm sorry you had a fall, but I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.
It was a wise move to go to urgent care.

Rest well now, and let your knee and foot heal.

I am now taking naproxen 2 x daily for the broken foot, which may also help my knee. I'm not a fan of NSAIDs but what am I to do, hopefully will get some pain relief and will be a short course. So, back to using the walker for awhile. I plan to do the rest of my PT at home. Any tips on doing PT at home...I am 6.5 weeks TRKR and now have a metatarsal fracture on my left foot after last nights fall. I need some ideas so I can keep moving.
Presently I am ok to do straight leg raises, leg extensions, anything seated. No stairs, only light walking (hopefully more when I get some pain relief in foot). I have been getting up every hour for a few minutes. I tried the bike but cant fit the walking boot on the pedals. Appreciate any suggestions.

@Elad1002, I wouldn’t worry about doing anything other than small walks around home and some minor stretches. Doing this for a day or two is not going to hurt you or cause any set back. To be honest, will probably do you some good.

I am now taking naproxen 2 x daily for the broken foot, which may also help my knee.
I broke 2 bones in my foot and my ankle in 2017 when I stepped in a hole. I was using an NSAID to help with inflammation and swelling. My doctor told me to stop because NSAIDs slow down bone healing. You should do some research and ask your doctor about it. I also researched items to help with bone healing and found some things on Amazon. Please do some research before continuing with Naproxen.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts