THR D3n0's Recovery Thread

D3n0

Country
United States United States
Hi, I am 43yo and had a right total hip replacement on May 12th due to severe arthritis. I had no idea I had a problem until my hip went out on me during a run back in September 2019. I iced it all weekend, didn't get better. So I went to my Mom's ortho dr who did her knees. He asked me if I'd ever had a hip x-ray, I said "no". Well he came back as surprised as I was with the finding of severe arthritis....bone-on-bone spurs, cysts etc etc. I tried one cortisone shot, it did pretty much nothing. And off to surgery I went....until covid.....but after a few rescheduled dates, I finally got in for my replacement on 5/12.

I had a total hip replacement with what my surgeon called a "mini-posterior" incision. He does both anterior and posterior, but he chose posterior due to undiagnosed dysplasia so he could get a good look at the joint. The surgery went well I guess. He did say he had to re-fit the cup after x-ray. But seemed pleased with the end results.
The implant I have is a Biomet dual mobility active articulation something-or-another. Surgeon says it is a good implant for "younger" active people and I should be happy with it. I have no restrictions except not to reach between my legs and behind me. He also believes I will get at least 20 years out of it, and he seems to think 30 is doable!!

I am 17 days post-op and was moved off my walker yesterday and on to a cane. I also had my staples removed yesterday. Everything seems to be going well. I have ups and downs but mostly I think my recovery is going as well as can be expected.

Welcome to the other side @D3n0 ! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Easy does it in these early days.

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @D3n0 :wave:
So happy to see you on the healing side.
These first weeks can be especially tough, but slow and steady...letting all that surgery trauma heal and you will be left with a great hip that will put you back to an active healthy life.
Healing vibes coming your way!!:loveshwr:

You're on your way! :yay: Take it easy and don't feel guilty. This is major surgery and your body needs time to heal. The bonesmart philosophy worked for me. The hardest thing is to be patient and not try to push things too fast. I think setting the right realistic timeframe expectations are 90% of the battle. We're all here to cheer you through the ups and inevitable downs along the way. Keep on walkin' and icing and you'll get there! :yes!:

Thank you everyone :) Yesterday was kind of a backslide day. Lots of aching in the morning, but mostly post-op blues.

@D3n0 Be sure and take your pain medication as prescribed, around the clock. When you start forgetting doses that's the sign you can start reducing your meds. For now the trick is to stay ahead of the pain.

Congratulations on your shiny new hip. Slow and steady will get you to a recovery that works long term. Remember to keep icing and elevating and listening to your body instead of pushing through the pain.

Hello and Welcome to recovery!

Yesterday was kind of a backslide day.

You’ll have those. Sorry yesterday felt like a step backward.
Check this out for a chuckle and reminder of the reality of recovery -

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

Wishing you brighter days this week! :SUNsmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope things are looking up for you these days. We’d love to hear from you and continue to offer support as you’re healing.
A great weekend to you! :)
@D3n0

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom