Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

TKR Cycling

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I managed 20 mins at around 50rpm with low/medium resistance
You'll realise that this is training rather than mobility exercises. If you get swelling or pain, reduce the resistance and time - which you will already know, I think.

OP
OP
E

Eddy

Country
Thanks Roy

I'm being careful. Had several earlier goes at cycling but stopped due to discomfort. Today it felt fine and I've iced and rested immediately after. There was no pressure through the pedals.. I was happy to achieve the ROM and mobility. Saddle is still quite high. Little and often is going to be my mantra.

Roy Gardiner

Country
Saddle is still quite high
I'm sure you'll have seen my take on using the bike for mobility stretches, but here it is again just in case.

• Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
Still waking up and feeling an 'alien' knee! Curious to know how long before you wake up and you are not conscious of it?
It was probably about 6 months before I quit thinking about my implant. Now, not at all. It's much better than my old knee. You will get there in time, just don't push it too much or you'll set your recovery back.

np7

Country
United States United States
Hola Eddy. In a reply to one of my posts you asked about "muscle wastage" in the repaired leg/quad. As I have started to go up/down stairs I have been surprised at how sore & weak my right quad feels. I would have thought that lack of use would affect both, but maybe dependence on the non-repaired one kept it stronger. (7 wks out for me.)

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevmo
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom