Revision THR Cup revision in South Africa

Oh and they will be using a Smith & Nephew cup and liners for the revision, same as last

Would you suggest things like not shaving before hand? and also taking antibiotics to treat the shaved spots that have red inflamed dots on them? I have also heard something about not cutting your nails close to the date. As far as the shaving is concerned does that include the face?
Shaving what, exactly?
If the spots require to be treated with antibiotics, I doubt the surgeon would proceed. And he would/should prescribe any antibiotics necessary
Never heard anything about not cutting nails! That's a tad mad, in my opinion!
Pre-op shaving usually refers to the area of surgery meaning the thigh and groin
I have also heard that applying ointment to your nose for 5 days before is also advised?
If it is, then your surgeon will prescribe both the treatment and the ointment. But it is often required for joint replacement patients to decolonise the nasal passages using Bactoban ointment.

Hello all Bonesmarties
@Josephine

Would appreciate some advice on this as I've never read much about this.

I'm day 5 today of a revision of the acetabular cup on my right hip due to a malaligned cup with aseptic loosening, I think I'm progressing well and can crutch around but do feel a bit fragile.

I was discharged this morning.

My leg is feeling fairly stiff around the thigh with sharpish pain in the groin area but I suppose that's normal as there is some swelling

I've been in a daze for the last few days in hospital and had some quiet time today to reflect on the op and all that was said and done, my duo of surgeons said went well. My OS mentioned a few technical details like he couldn't improve my LLD as it would compromise hip stability but then mentioned something about improving tension which gained about 0.5cm of LLD, I will ask him again when I see him in 3 weeks

When looking at my post op revision X-ray today and comparing it to the last one taken about 6 weeks ago before the revision, I noticed a significant amount of bone loss in the space between the where the cup meets the bone of the acetabulum to the edge of the pelvic cavity (I'm not sure if that's what it's called). The space between these 2 looks on X-ray now to be halved. They also used 2 screws now and none the last time. The cup is Smith & Nephew oxinium with an R3 XLPE liner.

- is the amount of bone that now remains between the edge of where the cup meets bone and the end of the pelvic bone/cavity in a revision strong enough too create a stable hip that withstands fractures? I'm just a bit concerned

I'm not sure how one measures that space between the two and what amount of bone is sufficient and strong enough to to withstand weight and force. For arguments sake, if the remaining space was 2cm before revision it's now 1cm

Anyone been through similar and have advice?

Is there a section where one can uopload X-rays on Bonesnart?

@Josephine can you perhaps change my thread to revisions and perhaps the heading to "one week post op cup revision - Can't figure it out how to do this

Sorry for the long draft and thanks to all

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you are through the revision and at home. Hope you can get rest and get your thoughts collected. I haven't had experience with any of your concerns and questions, except I do know how to upload photos of x-rays. I just put one on a post yesterday! If you are typing in the reply box, you'll see a black box in the bottom right hand corner that says "Upload a File". If you click on that, it will take you to a place where you can choose a photo that's on your computer. It worked easily for me.

My leg is feeling fairly stiff around the thigh with sharpish pain in the groin area but I suppose that's normal as there is some swelling
It's normal because it's normal post-op pain!
They also used 2 screws now and none the last time.
The use of screws is dictated by the cup design, nothing more.
- is the amount of bone that now remains between the edge of where the cup meets bone and the end of the pelvic bone/cavity in a revision strong enough too create a stable hip that withstands fractures? I'm just a bit concerned
I'd really need to see the xray to answer that.
Is there a section where one can uopload X-rays on Bonesnart?
You can do it right here! Just read this A few tips on posting xrays

Hi @Jamie

Hope you are well :)

please can you change my thread heading to:

Right THR cup revision in South Africa - unknown territory for me

Can't figure out how to do this and saw on a thread that you are able to assist with this, could you also change the status so it show its a revision

That would be appreciated

I'm so sorry you've had to go through so much! We are in the hands of our surgeons, which can be quite unsettling at times. I will be praying that this surgery has remedied all of your problems. Hopefully you can upload a photo for Josephine to view (she knows her stuff and can tell you what her thoughts are). At the bottom of each post there are 3 black boxes and one of them says "upload a file". If you press this it should take you to your photos and you can upload the X-Ray from there (I'm using an iPad, so I'm not certain if the format is exactly the same). Well wishes and prayers sent to you today @MTbiker.

I just found this in an earlier post ...
On the day of discharge I went to the shops before going home to get supplies and it was so intense I also got nausea and started sweating and also had sensitivity to light. I had this same intense headache the following day when I had to take my dog to the vet.
So you went shopping and took your dog to the vet in the first two days? No wonder you had headaches and worse! That was far too much too soon and your body just couldn't cope. I hope you're going to be more prudent this time!

@Josephine yes I am intending to take it waaaaayyyy easier this time!!! I'm staying with friends for the first 2 weeks who are taking care of me. I didn't really have a choice to go to the vet back then, she was having organ failure and someone drove me there, so I was on crutches and its a few blocks from my house, hopefully this time I don't have any curve balls, but in saying that the headaches never went away since then. I went to Chiroptactors, saw 3 physicians, a Neurologist, my GP, had bloodwork, had an MRI, I just get on with them now and stay positive.

I will load those X-rays next week, just need to call the radiologists to get digital images from them

@MTbiker
Did you ever find out if you had an epidermal or a spinal? I read on the internet where the longest headache reported after a "lumbar puncture" (I'm assuming, and may very well be wrong, that this would encompass both procedures) was 19 months. If you can ask if you had a "lumbar puncture", I will be happy to post the online results I found regarding this issue.

@Cynthia777
Yes I did find out, it was a spinal previous and I had one last week as well. This time I spoke at length to the anaesthetist before hand and all went well. I was hoping that when I woke up they would be gone miraculously, but not. I'm not gonna let them get in the way of a good recovery and staying positive

@Cynthia777
They started on day 3 of my RTHR 6 months ago, at that stage they were more severe when standing and mobilizing and l felt nauseas and would break out in sweat, once lying down they would subside - all typical signs of a spinal headache. They aren't as severe anymore as they were those first few weeks but they have persisted and now feel more like brain fog, it's difficult to concentrate when I have them and they really make me feel unwell. They now arrive at different times of the day and come and go regardless of whether I'm standing or lying down. I've thought they could be spinal headaches - which they still could be I suppose. At one point I suspected infection as my incision bled a few times after 2-3 weeks - all bloodwork was fine though, inflammatory markers have been excellent. I also suspected metallosis as my 3 month X-ray results showed possible particle disease but I went for metal blood tests which were all negative. I've thought they could somehow be nerve related. I'm still not sure but they are there! Perhaps it's all the medication from the last few years taking its toll on my body so I've started doing detox cleanses and eating meat once a week and upped my intake of plant based foods but acknowledge that good results won't appear overnight :)

I read in several articles that there is a treatment for them (IF they are due to the spinal). Have any of your doctors discussed this with you? If not, I surely would ask about it. There are several google articles regarding post spinal headaches lasting months and the treatment that works about 90 percent of the time. I sure hope you can get to the bottom of this. You're too young to be dealing with chronic headaches on top of everything else you've been through. Well wishes and prayers my friend.

@Cynthia777

Thank you so much :) :) :)

What have you read?

I've read that the last resort is a blood patch. That's also what my surgeons assistant said. The anaesthetist told me he isn't comfortable doing that however. I went for a brain MRI last year with and without contrast and nothing was out of order. So I can't conclusively say it's due to the spinal

My surgeons not against it, it's the anaesthetist, because it was 6 months ago I don't know if he remembers the exact spot where he insterted the needle, but thinking about it I'm sure they generally go for a specific section of the spine on the patient each time - not sure about that though. We spoke about it last week before theatre and he says it's a bit hit and miss, he also said in as many words that he has never had to do one, so perhaps that's why he is so hesitant. I'm also not sure if that's something that you can go to a different anaesthetist for, like a second opinion, perhaps I should call another one and see what they say, cause if all these headaches are due to the spinal and I could get that fixed it would make managing my days so much better. I would be a different happy person, I've changed for the worst the last 6 months, always angry, just scraping by day after day. I was happier even when I just had Avascular necrosis pain. These headaches take the sunshine right out your life and change your perception of life, they've made me miserable,dont find things funny anymore, used to love watching comedy, now too busy worrying about them

I see you are expecting some results soon, best of luck with that! @Cynthia777 will keep an eye on your thread

How true, @MTbiker, chronic pain just sucks all the life out of a person. I've certainly been a lot less pleasant to be around since I've had mine. I would definitely go for a second opinion from an anesthesiologist who knows how to do the procedure and is experienced in doing it. It certainly can't hurt to do so, and might help. Nearly constant headache pain would be just awful, and even more so if it is fixable.

It just breaks my heart to see you have all the joy taken from you my friend! I love to research and I'm going to read several medical papers to see if you can be helped in some way (I have a bit of medical knowledge and am able to read and comprehend many of the published articles). There must be something they can do to help you.

Thank you for your well wishes on my upcoming test. I, too, will be following your progress as well.

A warning folks - this information is very confused.
Did you ever find out if you had an epidermal or a spinal?
@Cynthia777 It's not epidermal which means under the skin, it's an epidural!
I read on the internet where the longest headache reported after a "lumbar puncture"
Lumbar punctures are about as similar to spinals as a dental filling or a dental extraction! Lumbar punctures can give headaches because the purpose of the procedure is to remove a quantity of cerebrospinal fluid which is what causes it. Epidurals are similar but do not actually remove CSF thought they can still cause headaches. Spinals got nowhere near the CFS and are not known to cause headaches. Blood patches certainly are a last resort as they are very hit and miss.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom