BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

CT Scan Scare

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by CorpHippie, Mar 19, 2019.

1. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

United States United States
    My surgery is day after tomorrow and I’ve been struggling with being distracted at work over it. So today at 4:30 my Dr office calls and says we need a new CT scan and we need it right now. The one I had (and paid $300 for) was not done right. So I fly out of my office fight down town traffic at 5pm to get this CT scan done. My questions are what should I do about the money I paid for the wrong one? After having this done it’s clear that the first one was not correct. I even told the first tech this is for Dr. Freeman and this is a MAKO TRK twice. So now I’m out the money and worried my surgery may be postponed. And what are opinions on how likely it is that my surgery date won’t change?

2. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I would hope if the first one was not done correctly that it would be treated like a "warranty" deal on the redo, and not be charged to you, but that will likely depend on the individual company.

3. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

Jean, I agree. I actually calle the billing office and left a message. I’m fine if they want to apply the money I paid them to what’s left of my deductible. Most concerning to me is the though that this will be delayed. Everything is in place for my responsibilities to be covered for 5 weeks. After that - gulp. Not sure what we’d do. Figure it out I suppose.

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You should get a refund for the first CT scan if it was done incorrectly.
    You may need help from your surgeon for this. Talk to his/her office.

You may find that there has been a miscommunication somewhere. Either the surgeon's office didn't specify clearly what was needed, or the technologist did not understand.
    Either way, I don't think you should have to pay a second time.

Ask the surgeon's office for clarification about the possibility of your surgery date changing, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mature mama

mature mama member

I hope your surgery is not rescheduled and I would not expect that you need to pay for another cat scan but that is only the fair answer, not necessarily what will happen.

Good luck!

6. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

Thank you all. This has been quite a week of surprises and ups and downs. So I’m just going to stay the course and run back here for comfort and information. Thank you all so much for making me feel not alone though this and thank you to the powers that be that keep this up and running. You’ve been a life saver for certain.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. Since you do feel BoneSmart has been a benefit to you, please consider making a donation to us. There is a tab link at the top of the page and any amount you give will be greatly appreciated. All funds go directly to the operating costs for BoneSmart and help ensure that we continue to be here for you and others who need information and support.

I agree that you should not be charged for that first CT scan. Put up a fight if they do try to bill you for both. The error was not your fault and you shouldn't be on the hook for it.

8. gia2cats

gia2cats junior member

Don’t take no for an answer on this if they want to charge you twice. It was obviously their fault and caused you a lot of stress. You may have to fight them on this but I think they will have to admit their error.
    And good luck, hopefully your surgery will proceed on schedule.

9. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

We have a green light! Dr office called a few mins ago and he’s got my 3D model ready and they will see me in the morning! YAY!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes! :happydance:

• Like Like x 1