CT Scan Question for Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsSplenda56

Jo,

Findings: Bipolar right hip prosthesis is noted in grossly normal position. I understand this but what I don't understand is: There is mild cystic change along the acetabular roof. A small spur projects from the lateral aspect of the right acetabulum. My chiropractor or OS have not gone over the report with me yet.

Thanks!

MsSplenda56.....Jo will be away for a couple of days at a medical convention. I don't recall if she is leaving today or tomorrow (Friday), so it might take a while for her to respond. If you don't get a response by the middle of next week, put another post on the thread to bring it to the top again. That will make it easier for her to find.

Unfortunately only Jo will be able to give you the response you're looking for....

I'm here! Not leaving till the am

Jo,

Findings: Bipolar right hip prosthesis is noted in grossly normal position. I understand this but what I don't understand is: There is mild cystic change along the acetabular roof. A small spur projects from the lateral aspect of the right acetabulum. My chiropractor or OS have not gone over the report with me yet.

Thanks!

The acetabular roof is also known as the floor of the acetabulum or socket. More specifically the 'roof' is that part of the acetabulum that transfers most weight onto the femoral head. This part as slightly thicker than the centre piece.

Mild cystic changes are when small cysts or balloons of soft material, form in the bone. It happens as part of the degenerative process known as arthritis. They can be a problem as they
compromise the strength of the bone stock.

Bone spurs are also a part of arthritic changes and commonly occur as outgrowths around the edges of the joint. They are also known as osteophytes.

Bone spurs most definitely cause pain. They can catch on the articulating bone, for instance, as yours are on the acetabulum, some movements will cause the femoral head to impinge on them and that will cause sudden sharp pains when you're getting out of bed, standing up or turn on your foot.

As for the bone cysts, mostly they are covert and just contribute to low grade achey pain you experience. As I said before, they are a very normal event in arthritis. Most people get spurs, only a few get cysts.

Ms Splenda,
This is on your hip replacment? Shouldn't those things be gone or replaced?
I'm confused. :pzld:
judy

Im sorry MS I was waiting to let Jo answer I hope it all works out for you.....) you shouldnt still be in pain...........

Sounds like it's time to have a chat with your doctor to clear this up for you. It is confusing to me also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics