THR Cstinchcomb's Right Hip Recovery

All the best today! I'll leave a copy of your recovery articles here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I am done :yes!: .
Feet are still coming back to life. In my room. Everyone is just so kind. I haven't got a report yet, but all indications are that it went well. And took less time than expected.

Pain well controlled. Oxy, Celebrex, and a preventive lyrica. I'm tired, but fairly clear headed.

I'd expected 2 nights, but it looks like they might send me home tomorrow :SUNsmile:

Good news! I’m happy to see surgery is now behind you. I hope they keep your pain well managed so you can rest comfortably.
Healings hugs! :friends:
@cstinchcomb

So good to hear!! Thank you for letting us know. Many well wishes coming your way! Here's to kind nurses and a quiet night of rest for you.

Oh, a hint about potential constipation. Paul Newmans organic pitted prunes: 6 before bed plus 4 ounces prune juice with breakfast. My dear friend was given this hint before his surgery by his doc. Worked like a charm!

With warmth and comfort,
Carita

Dang, just lost a post I think. I should install tapatalk.

Thanks for your kind encouragement and @Carita for the prune idea. I actually love prunes.

I stood up with the PT and took a few steps, but my feet and butt were still numb, so not much. More later I guess but now I just want to sleep ... :sleep: more later ...

Congratulations on your shiny new hip. Wishing you a restful night :sleeep:and a trip home tomorrow since there is no place like home. :flwrysmile:

Hope this play-by play is useful to others.
I slept long and pretty well. Had some real pain at 4am, they gave me 10 mg oxy instead of just 5. Pain is gone but I'm kinda stoned. We shall see how they adjust all of this.

I'll have two pt and one ot session today, then if all goes well home in the afternoon.

Ate some eggs, now feel
Hubby added prunes to the grocery list.

Ooo, catheter out, so much more up and around today.

Good to hear your update. Oh, that early pain can be unsettling. Glad it is better with oxy though the head does get foggy.
May your day with PT and OT go well. Safe travels home to your recovery nest! Rest! Sending lots of well wishes.

Carita

Hoping your home nest helped you rest through the first night home. Nap all you can Cst. Sending you comfort and ease.

Warmly,
Carita

Nap, :heehee:, constantly. It's the inverse of nap, where the normal state is asleep.

Home yesterday afternoon. Pain well controlled. I am alternating oxy and tramadol every 6 hours. Entire bag of drugs, need to make a better schedule.

I feel ok but really fragile. Getting up every 3 hours for more pills, bathroom etc.

It's so good to see you in recovery, congratulations! The exhaustion is real, isn't it? I would begin to type someone and would wake up to a bunch of jibberish as my fingers sat still on the keyboard as I snoozed away.
:ice: is your best friend.. I know you are aware of that, but I love this little fella sitting on that ice block. :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013