Cryo Cuff Icer

brucerit

Country
United States United States
I am having a TKR on my left knee. I am considering the Cryo Cuff Ice Machine. My question is does the knee cuff cool both the back of the knee as well as the front when it is running?

Hiya,

If you are referring to game ready brand then yes. Fantastic I used a double version for my bilateral. Well worth it.

But if you have a choice of 2 weeks or monthly rental I woukd go 2.

I am not sure which machine you are looking at. I hired Game Ready (super fantadtic) and also purchased an ice machine (good bu t not as good). If the cuff wraps right around your leg in an uninterrupted way then it probably will cool behind your knee (you want that). Good luck.

Sadly not completely. The cuff only reaches around the front and sides though it depends upon the isze of your leg how much farther it will reach round the back!. I used a Cryo and added another ice pack for the back of the knee.

Aircast-Cryo-Cuff-Gravity-Fed-Cold-Compression-System-Knee.jpg

The cryo cuff, and similar, only ice the front of your knee, unfortunately. I wish the companies that make these would change them to completely cover the entire knee, but until they do, use it on your knee and add ice packs (don't forget to add a cloth behind both the ice pack and the ice machine cuff to prevent frost bite) to the back. I also recommend an electric one if possible as, IMHO, constantly raising and lowering a bucket of ice and water at any time would be a pain, and especially so when you're recovering from a TKR!

I don't know much about the Cryo Cuff brand, but have looked into other brands and I'd avoid the DonJoy; it's a great one when it works, but IME it breaks down constantly and needs repair and replacing often. I've heard the Breg brand machines are good and reliable though. Also, since you're in the USA, check with your OS, your hospital and your insurance to see if they provide one; mine does so I didn't have to buy one, but definitely would have if they hadn't provided one.

Check with your hospital
I was given a Cryo Cuff
It works but not the back of the knee
I would purchase something else if you don't get one free as part of your package

@Atlas_aus Thank you for responding. This morning I talked to the OS, and they are going to send me home with an ice machine. If it don't cover my whole knee, I will add gel packs to the back of my knee. The Game Ready must be the Cadillac of ice machine's.

@rosieNZ I think I may invest in Game Ready stock, I have not heard one bad comment about it. Thank You.

@Josephine if my OS sends me home with a Cryo cuff, thanks to this site, I know what to do. You suggested Gel Packs, so I bought 6 of them. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Hi again, brucerit. Just a little info...You don't need to quote an entire post to reply to it. Just type your reply in the reply box. Sometimes you may want to quote a specific part of a post, and that's fine also.

@lovetocookandsew Thank you I'm not very bright, but I'm learning.
Thank you for all of the knowledge that you just gave me about the different ice machine's, it is much appreciated!

@mainegirl1 Thank you hopefully the hospital will send me home with Game Ready, but I bet it is Cryo cuff.

I'm sure you're plenty bright, this is just a new site to you and you'll soon get it figured out. :)

Go Game Ready! It’s super awesome. I’m using it presurgery and it’s totally eliminated all swelling!

Actually, @lovetocookandsew I have a very high I.Q.. It's somewhere around room temperature!

@Cynof4 you can't ask for more than that with Game Changer! I am afraid of losing my appetite, so I am going to have spinal anesthesia, with a leg block. When someone talked about the sore throat from the tube, it brought back bad memories.

I wish I lost my appetite. I have always had general and the first thing I want is food.
If you do PT you may find as I did they use Game Ready saving yourself some money perhaps
I know this is hard to plan out ahead
The upshot is I already had a CryoCuff and said I didnt need another and the nurse said " It's part of your operation package"
Like it's a cruise.

I finally learned enough about the different levels of being knocked out with just a spinal, so went with that for my revision. I had been under the impression it was zero to light sedation and you could wake up and see and hear the surgery. I would never go for that. But, it was wonderful! No after effects at all, and believe me when I say I had horrible after effects with every general! I was deeply sedated to boot. I woke with a clear head, no nausea and vomiting, no four hours in recovery with my oxygen levels going crazy, nothing but a clear head and from what I was told and remember, I woke very quickly and was out of recovery in no time at all. That's all I plan on having if I ever need another surgery, which I am hoping I never do need, but one never knows.

:rotfl: Like you, I bought my own icing machine for my upcoming TKR and do not know yet if one will be offered to me or what. Like you said, it is hard to plan out ahead. But an online friend who has had TKRs, said that if I end up with two, I can put one by my recliner and one by my bed. So, if I want to go to a different room, I don't have to lug the ice machine with me. Makes sense to me! I have two TKRs ahead of me, one after the other, so I will make good use of it, or them.

mainegirl1, lovetocookandsew, I am so sold on the spinal that I looking forward to it because every time I've used general, bad things happen, such as trying to get back to reality, sore throat, loss of appetite, etc..

I had the opposite experience, though I think I'm an anomaly. I was thrilled at the idea of a spinal and no general anesthesia. But I didn't have a great reaction to the spinal. I spent 3 hours in recovery because it wasn't wearing off and I couldn't feel my feet. (I don't remember this; my daughter told me afterwards.) I also was shaking/shivering uncontrollably and that lasted until the next day, and that I do remember.

floridoris, now you've scared me. Sorry to hear about your problem's but I'm sticking with the spinal. I'll let you know how it went when I wake up on August 5th.

Shaking after surgery is not unusual, from what I was told. I know in my case in past surgeries, if I was shaking, they first brought me heated blankets; if those didn't work they upped my pain relief a little. Usually one or the other worked. I don't remember if I was shaking at all after my spinal, but I know that if I was, they handled it.

My surgeon for the hip upcoming prefers general. I am fine with that..He indicated that muscles are more relaxed with general than with spinal and whether or not its true I am going with that.. I have had some three surgeries under general and have had no issues and am willing to go along with what the surgeon wants.. Maybe my total relaxation made me crave more Haagen Daaz.... I was not in pain much past TKR and needed opiates only two days. Perhaps because muscles being moved around were more floppy?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back