Crutches vs Walker After TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasp is RIGHT!!! Oh my.....
ai41.tinypic.com_jphemb.gif

Desertqueen....I moved your post (and the 2 comments after it) to its own thread so you could allow people to respond directly without getting lost in the surgery thread.

There have been some discussions about this before - the pros and cons of each. I think mostly it depends on what makes YOU most comfortable.

I used a walker for a day or 2 after BTKR and then went right to crutches. Never had a walker at home, only the crutches (Canadian ones at the forearm). I used the crutches for about 2 weeks. I did not use them in the house after 2 weeks and I used at least one for another week or 2 outside on uneven ground. Then went straight to walking as my ROM increase.
Best,
Crystal

desertqueen,
It’s like this, a walker gives the most support and the least mobility, crutches gives support and some mobility, the cane gives the least support but the most mobility. Seven months after a BTKR, gives the most support with the most mobility.

God Bless,
Rick

Great way to put it, Rick!!

I think you need to not to worry about it, what you use will be obvious while in the hospital between you, OT, and PT people. When I went to TKR training class we all had to go up and down stairs on crutches (which I already knew because of previous surgery) and walk around the room on a walker. What you went home on depended on your status, your release situation (step down care vs home), and whether you had stairs in your house.

So after all that, when I left the hospital, I left with a cane.

They also gave me all this OT stuff and I think the only thing I ever used more than a couple of times is the magic sock putter on-er.

I personally liked the walker for the first week or two. I felt more stable, had a place to sit if I needed it while out and at home could use it to "carry" things around, something you can't do with crutches. After that I went to a cane but soon found I kept leaving it in another room so only used it outside because of the ice and snow, actually I still use it outside if it's slippery.

See what you think while you are in the hospital - they'll have all three choices there and you will be able to decide which one is right for you.

Best of luck Desertqueen - when are you scheduled for surgery?

Diane

I had a walker and used it for several days before moving on to a cane...The walker actually doubled as a barrier to keep my two boxers from jumping up or bumping the knee.

The walker for about a week and then the cane for a day then watch out world, here I limp.

I think it is whichever you are most comfortable with and perhaps which one they give you when they release you from the hospital. I got a walker and thank God, I would have killed myself on crutches.

What I like best of all the stuff they gave me after the surgery was THE GRABBER. It was by far the most fun. You would be amazed at what you can grab with one of those things.

"watch out world, here I limp"

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_LOL2.jpg

The walker was good at first. It comes with a built in sense of security, and you can get a basket for things. After that it was nothing in the house and the cane outside the house "just in case."

Baby steps and then bit by bit, giant strides, eh, Linda? Sounds good to me.

I like walkers better. I've used them for all 4 surgeries (hips and knees). I've encountered too many people who got shoulder problems from crutches after surgery.

Hollie

WOW Thanks all. LTKR on May 4th 09. SOON! I like the advice about making a choice in the hospital. Sounds like it will be easier. I cant wait to get it over with and get my life back. I have to get up and down on stage risers. I'll tell you, that hurts. I have one week to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back