Crutches or walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurenkate

graduate
Country
United States United States
Finally scheduled surgery; it looks like most people use walkers in the hospital but I was wondering if it's just a personal preference to use a walker or crutches when you get home? It seems like a walker would add more stability but what do you think? Did you use one or the other or both in different stages of recovery?

I found a walker way easier. My second surgery I had to be on non-weight bearing crutches for a month. Nightmare. So wished I could have used a walker with that one. With a walker you can attach a bag with all your goodies to it to go from place to place. Never want to see crutches again[emoji21]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I used a walker than crutches when I fructured my ankle years ago. You are right the walker does provide more stability.
I plan to use a wheeled walker this time.

I used a walker. Everyone in my hospital used a walker and they gave me one to take home.

I used a walker and moved to using just a cane within a week.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Walker to cane. My son replaced my walker rubber tips with tennis balls so I could glide around easier on our wood floors. I relied on that walker off & on for 6 weeks!

Walker was provided at hospital to take home. Could attach a basket to carry ice bags, water bottles, meds, etc. I had an old set of crutches at home and didn't find them as stable or convenient, so I did not use them. Moved from a walker to a cane (mostly used out in public) and walking on my own.

I think it depends on your surgeon and your hospital whether you have a walker or crutches. It seems that most people in the US have a walker.
In NZ, I only had a walker for the first day after surgery, and then used crutches.

We did put a plastic basket with a flat bottom on my dad's walker after his THR. He wanted to be independent and this was the best plan. He could carry mail, newspapers, snacks etc.

I used a walker then graduated to a cane. I personally think a walker is much easier than crutches. I used crutches when I sprained my ankle a couple years ago and hated them. That is just my personal experience and opinion, though. Do what you think is best for you.

It depends upon a lot of things. I found a walker I liked at a second-hand store for $10, got it properly adjusted for height, and took it to the hospital with me both times. I used it while in the hospital and for a week or so after I got home. I used it at night for an additional three or four weeks just to be sure I didn't fall while I was half-asleep and going to the bathroom. I used crutches for about a week, then I became comfortable with one crutch (if using one crutch, make sure you use it on the opposite side from your TKR to promote a healthy gait). Eventually, I felt comfortable with a cane. Then I used no walking aids in the house but still used a crutch or a cane when I was going outside.

It all depended upon what my knees were telling me they needed for support. On my first TKR, I used a cane long after my OS thought I didn't need one because my non-operative knee was giving me trouble. After my second TRK, I took crutches or cane on my first few extended walks just to be sure I maintained a good gait. If I felt myself getting tired or weaker, I used the aid. If I didn't, I carried them.

My surgeon required a walker to be brought with me to the hospital before surgery.. No walker no surgery. Check with your surgeon. I did not buy it.. ( I only used it a week). Rescue squads and town halls often have medical equipment for short term loans.

Health and safety demands the use of a walker for the first few days. After that it's a matter of choice whether to transfer to canes or crutches. I preferred crutches - in fact, I bought my own!

Walker was provided at hospital to take home. Could attach a basket to carry ice bags, water bottles, meds, etc. .
This is one of the key things I liked about the walker.

I found the walker at home to be a PITA. it was impossible to maneuver in tight spaces..Quickly I switched to Nordic walking ( hiking) poles. They are used in pairs often

If you have trouble weight bearing crutches may make more sense but I was looking for stability.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a walker I felt more secure for the first few weeks than I used a cane.

I used a walker for a few weeks at night only. Like Polar Bear said when you are half asleep it just felt safer. Two crutches to one crutch never did use a cane. Just do what works best for you.

Walker for sure. Much more comfortable, easier to get up and down, gets you walking rather than hopping.

I used a walker until I progressed to a cane and eventually to nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562