Crutch

Joro

Country
United States United States
Hi fellow bee’s knees!

I had a very quick and smooth recovery from both of my total hips, but I keep hearing that total knees make hip replacement seem like a walk in the park, (yes, pun intended) (lol).

Anyone had both of these surgeries? What are your comparisons?

How long was anyone with knee replacements on crutches?

Surgery is scheduled September 6th. How about you?

I had a right total hip replacement in June 2017 and then a left TKR in December 2017. If all goes well, I’ll have a right TKR in December of this year.

In my experience, the knee was much more difficult, but still not that bad! I was so happy to not be feeling that grinding pain.

It took me about 3-4 months to feel A LOT better, which is not to say that I didn’t feel sort of better earlier. And the knee doesn’t feel totally natural now, but it’s not yet been a year and it feels a lot better than it did pre-op.

I did spend a lot of time on BoneSmart reading recovery stories and following the BoneSmart advice.

I’ll bet you do just great.

Just adding - no crutches experience, but I used a walker for 1-2 weeks and then used a cane for quite a few weeks after that. After I got more secure, I’d often carry the cane just in case, particularly when walking outside in the snow and wind.

Knee surgery is harder to recover from, because the knee is a more complex joint than the hip.
TKR or THR: which is more difficult surgery for recovery?

However, that said, don't dread this recovery. It is a marathon, not a sprint, and you will need lots of patience, but with the right pain medication regime and plenty of rest, ice and elevation, it will not be unbearable.

Here is the approach to recovery from a knee replacement that we recommend:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I was on crutches for about a month post-op, gradually moving from two crutches to one and then to a stick.
People vary and there's no set time when you should be off crutches.

With my first knee, I used my crutches outside for at least six weeks, then on and off for another two. Sometimes I used just one. I‘m nearing week 5 with knee #2 and i‘m Using them most of the time.

If you‘re in a crowded city, or mall, or if you‘re taking a train or bus, crutches help with balance, and they signal people to give you some room to walk. For me it‘s partly psychological. Also, if you‘re outside having a walk on uneven ground, or with stairs that might not have a railing, crutches help.

In the house, I stopped using crutches after the first few days....but I have no stairs inside and can reach my apartment from a lift.

Everyone‘s different...

During the day I used crutches for a couple of days - about a week or so at night. (Expect to be using my cane for several months). I used them the first time we went out to eat (after about a month) because our favorite restaurant is crowded with people standing near the bar all the time. You have to push through to get to the seating area. When people see me coming at them on crutches, they get out of the way. Makes me feel like Moses parting the waters.....:) Seriously, people are so self absorbed now they don't pay attention to stuff but for some reason, crutches get their attention.

I had two anterior hip replacements; one 4yrs ago; other 8 weeks ago tomorrow. My first went easier, probably because my thigh was numb prior to surgery. I feel everything this time.

My first knee replacement is tomorrow; hope I don’t need two crutches. I’m a clutz so using two probably wouldn’t be smart

First time around, used crutches for about 6 weeks. For the second it was only 3 weeks.

One bit of advice I would give you is not to be too convinced by the "PT is essential" credo. It's not. I recommend you read my recovery thread to see how little exercising I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)

I used crutches for about two weeks. I occationally used them if I were going out to a crowded place. I never used them at home. never used a walker at all, they were too big for my small house.

I used walker for about 2 weeks, then a cane for several months when I went out, but didn’t need it in the house. As has been mentioned, we are all different and you can use these as much, or as little, as you need/want. There are no set timeframes (and don’t let anyone tell you that there are!)

Hang out here with us.
Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!

@Joro i am 17 days post TKR. I used crutches the first 3 days home, then one crutch until day 15 now I am using a cane. While sleeping is definitely more difficult with the knee( haven’t managed to sleep in bed yet) being able to bend from the waist without the 90 degree restriction is a plus for getting dressed and puttering around the house. I have had a lot of thigh pain which I suspect comes from having this hip opened 3 times. Overall it is just different.

Got my check-in time for tomorrow’s surgery...it just got REAL!

Every thing will go wonderfully well, see you in recovery

Best wishes, Joro. We'll see you on the recovery side.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom