BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Crunch! Then swelling, now stiff and just doesn't feel right

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Phipcicle, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Phipcicle

Phipcicle new member

United States United States
    Hello, just received my posterior stabilizing rotating platform right knee implant 6 days ago. At 48yrs old I was a little hesitant having it done but the pain just became too much. I'm very (or was) active and could not stomach any more time down. I've had 7 scopes (4-LH, 3-RH) and a RH ankle reconstruction so I thought I had an idea what I was in for. Slight miscalculation there, it's been painful.

I've had 2 PT's since and seem to be progressing well. ROM 80deg sitting and 9 deg straight.

Biggest problem for me so far has been sleeping.. I can't sleep on my back. Rolling over just too uncomfortable. Prescription pain meds don't help with sleep as they just keep me up. Ibuprofen seems to take enough of the edge off as I'm thinking about tabling my prescription pain meds completely to see if I can sleep better.

Just looking for feedback. If there's anything I can provide to help anyone just ask. Hang in there all!! Looking forward to getting back on my bike!!

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Phipcicle - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the dates of your other leg surgeries, so we add them to your signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

You do need to keep up the pain relief, as it's an important part of helping your knee to heal.
    A TKR is major surgery that causes a lot of trauma and complete recovery does take a long time - as long as a full year for all your soft tissues to be completely healed.

Don't worry about ROM at this early stage. It's more important for your knee to start healing before you stress it with lots of exercise.
    There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

In any case, it's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

Here's our post-op reading - lots of short, but informative, articles:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello, fellow Wisconsinite! Sleep disruption is a problem many —I would say most— of us face for the first weeks or months of recovery. It does get better, and you will find ways to sleep, though maybe not as your would prefer. Grab sleep wherever you can. Naps are perfect. Your body heals when sleeping and resting, so consider those naps part of your healing program.

Do stay on your pain meds. It’s way too early to cut back. You’ll know it’s time when you start forgetting to take that next pain pill. Being in pain isn’t helpful to your healing, so stay on top of it.

You are helping already by sharing your story and experiences. :) People come to BoneSmart, many of whom lurk and never say anything, to read about how real people handle their surgeries. Thanks for being real.

4. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Very typical. Just try to sleep when you can.
    I slept overnight in installments and napped during the day as well for the first several weeks. It naturally resolves for most of us, but it takes time.

5. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I slept for a hour or two in my bed, then got up and slept in my recliner, then back to bed, then back to my recliner. This went on for at least 2-3 weeks. Once I was able to stay in bed, I still slept only for an hour or so at the time, then up for a while, then back to sleep. Sleep anywhere and any time you can. Sleep it very important because you heal more when you're asleep!

6. Phipcicle

Phipcicle new member

I know, goofy title but that in a nutshell is what happened. I'm a year out from right TKR. Everything went great!! (as great as having a joint torn out and replaced can go I guess..) However, about 2 weeks ago I was lying down in a prone (chest down) position, I pushed myself up onto my knees, I then went to stand up and my right knee locked up (about 3/4 straight but that was it) I could not straighten my leg. I could not put any weight on the knee as it hurt pretty bad. I managed to hobble a few steps only to experience a nasty "crunching" sensation where my knee finally straightened back out. From there it swelled up pretty good. Over the span of a few days the same thing happened from a sitting position. Ever since it's been swollen and just doesn't feel right, kind of unstable. Having had 7 scopes (4 right, 3 left) due to meniscus issues all I can say is it feels like when I tore a meniscus; swollen, unstable and very stiff... Anyone experience anything similar?? Scar tissue maybe? Probably should go see my ortho Doc. Thought I'd reach out. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

7. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :thumb:

I doubt if it's the joint; you have done something to the soft tissue, IMO. But in any case you have to get it checked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @Phipcicle - You'll notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Please don't start new threads.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
    Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

9. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree with Roy Gardiner. Chances are that you haven't done any serious damage, but you should see your surgeon and get your knee checked out.

10. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Was the 9 degrees of extension a plus or a minus? Plus means it's not totally straight.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?