TKR Cramp

JoanneC

I am 4 months post op and am really struggling with cramp and sleep particularly at night on my operated leg. Lasts for over an hour. Is this normal? My surgeon is very quick and says its all fine see you in a year.

Hello @JoanneC - and :welome: to the knee side.

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I don't think we've heard from you since you had your knee replaced, so, although it's been a little while since your surgery, I'll give you our recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Some people take Magnesium and Potassium to help prevent cramps, but I think your best course of action is to first consult your own doctor/PCP.

I had horrible cramps and started using electrolyte tablets that I added to my morning water. I used NUUN brand sold at Wholefoods which worked. Took a week or more but helped and I still take this every morning

I use voltaren cream which is a muscle relaxant sold in Australia. It helps almost immediately. I also regularly massage my entire leg when I can feel cramps or muscle spasms mostly during the night. It's getting better.

I have been always a sufferer of cramps in my legs, I was recommended by my family doctor to up the intake of bananas, as I don't particularly like eating them on their own, I chop and add to my cereal, or make a smoothie and often banana bread, also the same doctor told me to drink tonic water as it has quinine in it, a good excuse to add gin :heehee: since I have started doing both my cramps have ceased, althought it is not wise to drink alcohol whilst on any medication so do not under any circumstances add the gin, tonic and lemon on its own is just as nice xx

Last edited:
A few words of warning:
I use voltaren cream which is a muscle relaxant sold in Australia.
Voltaren cream contains Diclofenac, which is a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory (NSAID). Unless prescribed by your surgeon/doctor, It's best to avoid NSAIDs after surgery, particularly if you are still taking anticoagulants. A certain amount of the drug is absorbed through your skin into your general circulation and NSAIDs can increase your tendency to bleed.

the same doctor told me to drink tonic water as it has quinine in it, a good excuse to add gin
That sounds good, except that you should avoid alcohol if you're still taking narcotic pain relief.
Narcotics and alcohol can be a dangerous combination.

As a supplement ,magnesium may help.

I am 4 months post op and am really struggling with cramp and sleep

Sorry you’re struggling. It’s such a disappointment to get in your nice comfy bed and struggle with sleep, or worse yet annoying cramps.

Something to consider as mentioned twice above, is Magnesium. You can do your own research, consult with your Physician, whatever you choose I hope you find relief and sweet sleep soon.

Magnesium Glycinate supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard of drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Magnesium Glycinate is often recommended over other forms as it has less of a laxative effect.

Hi Yes we have similar in the Uk but unfortunately its not cutting it. I cant bend enough to massage my own legs and although my husband does his best he struggles at 3am x

I have been always a sufferer of cramps in my legs, I was recommended by my family doctor to up the intake of bananas, as I don't particularly like eating them on their own, I chop and add to my cereal, or make a smoothie and often banana bread, also the same doctor told me to drink tonic water as it has quinine in it, a good excuse to add gin :heehee: since I have started doing both my cramps have ceased, althought it is not wise to drink alcohol whilst on any medication so do not under any circumstances add the gin, tonic and lemon on its own is just as nice xx

I will try xx thanks

An old wives tale is to put a bar of soap at the foot of your bed for leg cramps. Any soap is Ok to use.

I've heard that old wives tale too and, surprisingly, it seems to work for some people. I have no idea why.

The Tonic Water works great for me. I also had a doctor tell me to try it because of the quinine. I just chill it and add a dash of juice....cranberry is my favorite.

I had some leg cramps at night during my recovery and my PT suggested some stretching before bed. It did the trick.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom