THR Cracked femur and hip #2

Hi @Atkinson8
Thanks for updating! I took a peek and listen in regard to your daughter, Kristen. Beautiful girl and voice. She must make her mama proud!

It sounds as though you're doing well. Balancing rest with activity is key. Keep doing what you're doing.
Enjoy the special time with your kids and grandchildren while you're off work next week. :)

Beautiful:angel:

Thanks! Yesterday I walked more than usual, today I’m taking it easy with ice. It’s going to snow tomorrow, but I will take laps around the house; better yet, do some much needed cleaning. And on it goes.

:bored:On it goes...but as the weeks go by..with your begrudged patience, the body will appreciate that you are not considering against its best efforts to heal itself...and put you on the path to a Golden Summer.
You are doing great, in my opinion.
A great week to you, @Atkinson8 :roseshwr:

I am curious about your dr telling you that you would have more thigh pain. I got a fracture during surgery and the dr put a wire around it. I am now dealing with a lot of thigh pain and wondering if it is normal. So did you have thigh pain? If so how long did in last. Thank you
@JoeKnows

I never did get the details, mostly because I was focused on getting out of the hospital. My impression is that it was a minor stress fracture or something that occurred before surgery, and he banded it to make sure it didn't expand. Which obviously is quite different than your situation, though he did warn I'd have more thigh pain due to the band / more muscle getting pushed around.

To Leahhdp, I don’t have thigh pain, it’s just numb. The discomfort come from my knee, and I think it will ease as the muscles and thigh keep recovering. The fractured hip/leg give me no trouble at all, thank goodness. Yesterday I ventured into Boston w/ daughter, her 2 year old and 8 month old, to the Children’s Museum. So much fun to see the excitement on my granddaughters face, and boy, did she enjoy herself! I did well too, I must say, although I did come home and ice. Going to see the shoulder surgeon on the 6th to see about taking care of that, then I should be whole!
At the risk a sounding repetitive, and perhaps earning a scolding, I do find it still doesn’t take a whole lot to overdue it, which seems to be my pattern. thanks s week off from work was filled with kids, grandkids, and definitely not relaxing (but fun!). so the next few days I’ll regroup. Reading through the threads, it sounds like everyone is positive, and longing for Spring.i have tulips on the table to bring a bit of Spring inside.

Checking in: I’ve read a lot about aches and pains and being reminded of the year it takes to truly recover which is good to hear on so many levels. I wonder if this long gray, cold winter has taken its toll on our resiliency, but not for long. . .or not right now. I’m feeling much more comfortable moving around, walking, and sleeping. Sometimes I’m surprised that I’ll be walking and feel “normal”! It doesn’t last long, but it’s a glimpse into the future.

I'm glad you are getting a glimpse into your future with good hips...makes all the patience and perseverance worth while to know we are going to get a great payoff with new hips.
Hope your day is sweet!:SUNsmile:

Happy Friday :hi:
You're right, it doesn't take a lot to over do it. Try your best to balance activity with rest.
Enjoying the Childrens Museum with your grandkids must have been fun but I would imagine a little exhausting also. With two major surgeries over the past 6 months, there is still a lot of healing to happen. May it only get better. Take it s-l-o-w and enjoy the weekend!
@Atkinson8

Today might be my 3rd or 4th month anniversary for the newest hip, I’m not sure if I count the actual surgery day in the equation. Regardless, time has passed. One nice thing about snow, and my work, is that the call came last night that there’s no school today. Hooray!!! We got about 8 inches. My plan is to ice, relax, and read a good book. Maybe, inspired by some other hipsters, I’ll reorganize some kitchen drawers that are over stuffed and illogical. Walking has been relatively comfortable, stairs still baby-like and slow, but all in all, things are fine. I go have my shoulder checked this week; I’m curious as to the recommendations, but I think I already know. Last night I was awoken my my legs, shoulder, and hands (now, that’s new!) and I’m glad I could sleep in. Hope all is well with you all!

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
The date of your surgery is your anniversary date. Sounds like you're in for an extended weekend, Woohoo!
Best of luck on getting your shoulder checked this week.
Enjoy the day :flwrysmile:
@Atkinson8

Happy Three Month Hipversary
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
Lots of improvement to come and lots of good times ahead!:ok:

Well, I met with the shoulder surgeon yesterday, and as I feared, the left shoulder is bone on bone. I'll schedule surgery for June (and start a thread on the shoulder forum). I'm a bit bummed, but not surprised. I basically haven't been able to use my left arm for many, many months. Today the chill has entered my bones (or what's left of them) and I do find walking and rather stiff and uncomfortable, especially in the thigh/knee area. So I get up and walk every 30 minutes or so to try to work the kinks out. I do know this situation will improve, and it has, but sometimes it feels like a backward slide. Okay, enough of that wallowing - I'll check back in on a more positive note soon. Thanks!

Oh dear @Atkinson8
It sounds like you weren't surprised as you say, and I would only guess that it would be horrid to have that bother while you are still dealing with hip recovery.
So I get up and walk every 30 minutes or so to try to work the kinks out. I do know this situation will improve, and it has, but sometimes it feels like a backward slide.
It's how I had to do it and it does get better.
We need some Spring in our lives!:SUNsmile:
You know you have many on the forum sending sincere sympathy and I do hope things ease for you this weekend!
Healing hugs!!:roseshwr:

Aww, I'm so sorry to read this. If it's not one thing, it's another it seems.
The upside is that thankfully something can be done to ease your pain and give you back the mobility / flexibility you've lost in your shoulder.

You can "wallow" we don't mind. You've been through a lot over the past 6 months and will still be healing right into the time you have shoulder surgery. Feel free to come and vent when necessary. We get it...promise not to judge :heehee:

Sending you a warm hug and wishes for a great weekend. :friends: :SUNsmile:
@Atkinson8

Oh, wow--hips and now shoulder, too? That sounds discouraging, if not unexpected, @Atkinson8. But you also seem to have an understanding and accepting that it will be a slow process for recovery, but you WILL get there, and it's one day at a time. Maybe it's buried in your thread somewhere, and I should read that more carefully before asking, but how did your shoulder get so damaged? Did you fall or have some sort of repetitive motion problem? I agree with @Layla, thank goodness there is something that can be done to repair the damage although nobody looks forward to more surgery. Hang in there!

Thanks your your kind words @Barbaraj : I know over time I’ll be happy with results of all this replacement business, but right now I’m resigned to the reality. It’s all osteoarthritis just eating away at my joints. . . I hope it’s had it’s fill and leaves the rest of me alone! Today it’s snowing again but yesterday was nice and I got out for a walk, which felt good. All in all, I can’t complain ( much). I’ll post again soon in a more upbeat tone, promise.

I agree with you totally, @Atkinson8! We're all hoping that eventually we'll be thrilled with our surgical outcomes but, boy, what a long slog it seems sometimes. Sorry to hear about the snow--hate that stuff--but maybe the sunshine will come out soon, melt that nasty stuff away and you'll be able to get out for another walk. Here's hoping!

Hope today is a better day...OA is miserable, for sure.
Hugs @Atkinson8:console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member