THR Cracked femur and hip #2

Second week back to work went well. Tuesday there was an ice storm, and we had a fire drill! Well, not a drill, a pipe burst in my building. I knew I couldn’t go to the other building where everyone was directed; down a big hill and then a hefty walk. Went to a closer place and the wood floors were like an ice rink under foot. Then transported to another location by pick up truck. . .quite high a get into and down from (I’m trying to disguise my useless left arm). So it was an adventure! After that things calmed down. Yesterday I did a ton of errands, overdid it, so today i’ll Just take it easy. I still can’t do stairs “normally” and avoid steep up or down hill walking. I saw the graph of actual recovery pattern (the hyper squiggly one) on another thread and had to chuckle. How true!

Nothing about this recovery goes in a straight line. It's definitely ups and downs. Sounds like you did well with all the "adventure" at work. Hope you can get some rest and relaxation today.

Oh my stars...unnecessary aggravations!
Nothing like real life to test our abilities..:gaah:
Hope today is a Good Day.:yes:

Oh my goodness @Atkinson8 - I can't believe what a day you had last Tuesday! Mercy me. How were you feeling Tuesday evening? I do so hope that this next week is MUCH calmer. I get in and out of my husband's big truck with a step stool that he pulls out and sets up for me (there are side rails on the truck to step on but it's still rather high). I fear stepping down hard on either side. Walking up the driveway is still difficult for me from time to time.

I can't remember, did you have hardware put in when they fractured your GT? Does that hip bother you more than the other side or are they about the same? You are still pretty fresh with that newest hip. My husband read on a different hip support sight this morning about a man who dislocated his 6 week old hip when he stepped with good leg out of the vehicle and pushed with the operated side. It was an unfamiliar vehicle so he didn't think about swiveling out. Yikes!!! I am renting a car when I get to FL this week so of course, husband is concerned about me doing something like that. I sure hope not!!!

I hope your Sunday is a relaxing one and that you get a blissfully good night's sleep so tackling the week ahead is without challenge!!

Thanks, NanKP, and have a great trip to sunny FL. I think the cold bothers me more now because of the extra effort it takes to do almost everything. When I get home I’m just so glad to relax that all defenses let down. I’m definitely a whimp when it comes to ice. I do NOT want to fall!
Today was just felt very tired, took it easy and I’m hoping for some quality sleep.
I’m noticing that it’s still light out even after 5 pm, so Spring is on the way.
Oh, I didn’t have hardware on the fractured femur, just cable wrapped around, wihich is probably still there. That hip feels quite good. I see the surgeon on Thursday, and I’m sure he’ll be pleased with his work. 8 weeks post op, quite a journey that isn’t even close to being over.

@Atkinson8 - I hear you about the ice and that fear of going down. Today we had another wicked snowstorm that hit hard right during morning rush hour so I stayed home. Instead of the 1" that they forecast, we ended up with 6-11" around town!!!

I have noticed the longer days as well and feel so happy about that. I will be pushing it to get out of town on Wednesday since I didn't go in today but I'm trying to figure out how to handle my emails atleast while I'm gone. (My mom doesn't use the internet so I'm going to be searching for the most secure connection I can get since many of my emails deal with federal, state department of revenue this time of year). Good ole' Uncle Sam doesn't want to miss out on his cut of anything!!!!

I hope your week goes well and that you stay warm!!

Best of luck with your appointment on Thursday.
Let us know how it goes.
I hope you have a nice week! :SUNsmile:
@Atkinson8

This week is so cold, but tomorrow is Friday and we’ll head north to two of my 4 grandchildren, ages 2 1/2 and 8 months. I can’t wait.
Surgeons appointment went well, X-rays are great and I’ll go hack in 6 months. Some interesting things though: I mentioned the continued numbness in my thigh. I learned that this is quite common with the anterior surgical approach which has less muscle cutting, but the numbness can last quite a long time. What that means is indefinite, but there you go. Also, when I mentioned the knee pain, well, that’s due to the “unnatural contortions forced as part of the surgery”which I knew from other sources. So my concerns are alleviated, I’m on the mend, it will take a relatively long time, and there’s nothing wrong. Walking into the medical building, I thought, despite my limp and zero degree weather, it was the most comfortable I’d been making that journey since I started this journey last June. That’s a good feeling.

Hi @Atkinson8 :hi:
Great update. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to have questions answered and receive reassurance all is on track.
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Also, I'm sure you recall from your first recovery that it's advised you use an assistive device until no longer limping.
Safe travels and have fun snuggling those grandbabies!

I know I’m being a tad stubborn about walking without a cane. The first time, I was dealing with a broken femur, so things moved more cautiously and slowly. This time , at week 4 I was told to just leave it all behind. I did wait a while before doing that however. I don’t want to become dependent on a cane, I mostly do okay without it. This weekend however, I couldn’t resist picking up the kids once or twice, despite my bum shoulder, and my daughters house tends to have low seating which was more difficult to get up from. So, of course, the knee of the newer operated hip is acting up. Right now, I’m in position and icing. I do feel frustrated on the pace of recovery. I also know it’s both in my hands, and out of my control at the same time. I look forward to moving around “normally”, managing stairs better, putting socks on, and all those other things I know I’ve posted about previously. The good news is, my hip(s) feel strong and fine. And, it reached 50 degrees today, and it was light out when I left work at 5:15. Thanks for letting me ramole a bit!

Two Months Today! (Only!)
Happy hipversary!:happydance:
Yes you are hard headed and impatient ...and whine all you like..I did!:heehee:
You are doing well...although maybe pushing it a bit.
Good for you for assuming the position and giving yourself a break!:ice:
Sometimes we just have to push it...whether by necessity or exuberance or impatience.
Just do what your body tells you need to do...four months out was MY biggest turnaround.:yes:

Wishing you a good week!:friends:

Last edited:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I'd say you're doing well as you're recovering from two major surgeries within the past five months.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the week! :SUNsmile:
@Atkinson8

Okay, I think just getting yourself out of bed in the morning should be considered a major accomplishment, @Atkinson8, especially when you are having to schlep off to work daily. I can't imagine having to return to work at 2 months--but I'm an old retired lady and my days are pretty much "how to amuse myself today?" Bully for you for getting up and out during the week, and you absolutely deserve to crash in the evening and on weekends. Hope walking properly (stand up straight, heel/toe steps) is getting easier every day. Sure, you'll go through days when it feel like your progress is stalled, but it's not--every day is another day forward along the recovery road. Keep on moving, that's my mantra. It will get easier.

When going into the market yesterday, I watched myself walk. I thought I was moving pretty well: the moving image showed stunted gait and not what I felt as I “strolled” along. I was bummed and so frustrated. Later, I checked in here, thankfully. I’m reminded that for both surgeries, and that I’m actually doing well! To give credit, hubby was also positively supportive when I almost had a meltdown of frustration. So, once again, thank you to everyone who has gone through this, understands, and supports. We all need it!

Healing can take up to 12 months or more. Just keep trying the heel/toe walking. It's very hard to break old habits. You'll get there!

You are doing SPLENDID!! I do think you should keep your cane handy for those days/times that your knees are raging war. I know the frustration of wanting everything to be healed and ready to go only to realize that everything is healing as best as it can.

Lifting those grandkids brings such warmth and happiness but it also means aggravated bending, stretching which can feel like a set back. I'm sure they were so very happy to see you again!!! Mine notice immediately if I am caneless "look at you go Nana!"

I'm glad your appointment went well and you are OS free for 6 months (hopefully). Keep your positive attitude going and yay, yay, yay for longer days of "light"!!!! I'm ready for Spring!

Quick update: first, I do appreciate all the encouragement and support. As I’ve said before, this is a much longer process than anticipated. I’ve now got the 4 month milestone idea in my head, so hopefully I’ll calm down until then ( April 4). Meanwhile, progress. Today I needed to go go meeting across our campus. The first one involved a hill or two, I brought my cane and did fine. At the end of the day was a slightly longer walk, and that went well. The sidewalks were clear of snow and ice today (not so for tomorrow).so this was my first real venture of any distance. Granted, it wasn’t very much, bUt psychologically it put me over a hurdle. I know I need to walk more, and I’ll work on that. We have a treadmill in the basement that is gathering dust. I’m reluctant to go to the gym for a lot of reasons, mostly because I definitely don’t want to over do things. Anyway, today I feel good. Not without twinges and a few gasps (pesky knee pain) but I feel progress. :thankyou:

:happydance:Baby steps add up to big strides in recovery!
Attitude counts for alot too...so good that you were able to get out and revive your spirit.
Hope today is a Good Day!:SUNsmile:

I haven’t posted for a bit because I feel like I’m quite repetitive, and there aren’t any milestones this week, really, except I made it through intact:). I got around okay and I plan on walking more this weekend. I’ll go shopping at some outlets stores this afternoon, so that’s a hike. I’m off work this week, which is a welcome relief. I plan on walking, resting, icing, and my kids and their kids will be in and out, my oldest daughter launched her second album yesterday, so exciting. If you want to hear am amazing jazz vocalist, google kristen lee sergeant. And you’ll get to her website. Enjoy!
I still can’t do stairs, knee still bothers me, still use the sock aid, but I Can do more things than ever. I wonder if I should do more exercises other than the calf, quad, glute sequences, March lifts, etc. ?
Anyway, I get a lot from reading other threads and that’s been so important. Thanks and have a great weekend!

If you want to hear am amazing jazz vocalist, google kristen lee sergeant.
Wow - your daughter has an amazing voice! Congratulations to her on the album release!
I wonder if I should do more exercises other than the calf, quad, glute sequences, March lifts, etc. ?
Nah - just keep focusing on the walking. Build up your stamina and distance. Recovery can take a year or more.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member