THR Cracked femur and hip #2

The garbage bag trick saves the day! Step stool is enroute. Awesome tips!

Good Morning. I now know what is meant by Log Leg, as mine is slowly losing the affects of the Block. Two nights ago I experienced the most intense pain ever (and I’ve delivered some big babies!). It felt like my whole upper leg was engulfed in flames; ice felt like fire, and it persisted for what seemed like hours (probably close to 2hours). Awful! I must have gotten behind with the meds, but believe me, I won’t let that happen again! Yesterday I took it easy, and that’s the plan for today as well. PT is due to arrive soon, so that will be good. Shower today, or I might procrastinate until tomorrow. Still need to get the bowels moving. . . .
On another matter, I’m watching Poldark on PBS; what a fabulous series to accompany recovery! I totally recommend it! I hope everyone has a good and comfortable day!

@Atkinson8 do try and stay ahead of the pain. Set an alarm or a reminder on your cell phone. As you experienced, it's hard to play "catch up" when you are just post op.
I’m watching Poldark on PBS; what a fabulous series to accompany recovery!
I've watched Poldark from the beginning of the series here in the UK. Enjoy!

Take it slow in PT.
Brave the shower, you'll feel better.
Then watch some Poldark and take a long winter's nap :yawn: :sleep:
Enjoy the weekend!
@Atkinson8

Hang in there...yes, meds, ice, and lots of rest.
All temporary!
Healing hugs....:console2:

All seems well on this End of things. I’ve been reading some threads (now I can’t recall which ones) about excruciating “burning” thigh, glute pain, and I’m so grateful that torture only lasted a few hours for me. I’m diligent with the meds, although tomorrow is the 1 week post op mark, so I’ll probably start to wean a bit (plus get the one refill allowed, just in case!). I’m sleeping well, and PT. Is fine. I do return frequently to Layla’s article on post op progression, just to remind myself that I don’t have to force activity or undue exercise. For now!

Thanks for the update @Atkinson8
I love that Library article! I referred to it often myself.
It takes the pressure off that makes you wonder if you're progressing normally....or doing enough.
It sounds as though you're doing well with sleep and PT. Please remember that if anything hurts with PT,
STOP. Also be aware of the Big Tip while you're engaged in your physical therapy -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope you have a lovely Monday and a great week!

although tomorrow is the 1 week post op mark, so I’ll probably start to wean a bit
Much too early to start reducing your meds. When you start forgetting doses it's a sign you are weaning off. Usually it's the midday dose.

Good morning! Well, 10days post op and things are going well. It’s true about the meds, the last few days it’s been longer between taking the oxy; then I wonder why pain starts to raise its ugly head, I look at the clock, and it’s been 6 or 7 hours since the last round. That’s not the norm, yet. My PT had me try out using one crutch or cane, just around the house for now, and that went well. As long as my shoulder holds up, I’ll keep working on that. Getting up from sitting, getting in and out of bed are still uncomfortable, but I know that’s a muscle/tissue issue, which I’m working on, or letting time do it’s healing thing.

So all sounds good, right? Yes, but I do feel like a lazy lump, I tend to get a tad grouchy and impatient with my husband, and I’m sort of enjoying my solitude. I hope I’m not turning into a recluse. Minor issues, but there you go. I see the surgeon Monday and don’t anticipate any surprises, which is good.
Thanks for letting me ramble. . . I hope you all have a good day!

You're doing great!
I think many of us feel like a recluse at only 10 days post op.
Usually not venturing out much at that point. Cabin fever definitely sets in and getting out to smell the
roses a necessity for ones sanity. Good luck with your post op visit on a Monday. Let us know how it goes.
A happy weekend to you!
@Atkinson8

Hi @Atkinson8 It is hard to be a patient patient second time around I've found. I just want it to hurry up already and be done with it!! I found getting out for my ten day post op visit lifted my mood...even if it was just a trip to the ortho clinic at the hospital and the x-ray department! we went for drive by coffee on the way home LOL! :heehee:

:flwrysmile: Wishing you a good day and hope the time flies by for you now that you are post op!

Hope your weekend is relaxing and healing.
This has been a big year for you.
Getting on with life with good hips...all worth it.
:loveshwr:

Checking in - 2 weeks out and my new recliner just arrived! Yay! My plan is to get cleaned up, do my PT routine, recline, and start a good book.
I feel good - yesterday, with only a cane, I met with the surgeon - he says everything looks good, come back the end of January. Check. Then I did a few quick errands (obviously, I was not driving, my husband was with me), came home, cleaned up a bit and had a friend over for dinner. By 7:30 I was exhausted and uncomfortable. Hence,
today, I will recline more than I'll move (or so I say right now). I'm still going to use the walker around the house - I need to protect my left shoulder, the one that guides the cane or crutch. My focus is on trying not to limp, however I'm moving.
So all is good - I 'm also going to re-read some of the articles about recover after this initial 2 week drama, just to refresh myself on the pitfalls and goals. Hope everyone has a great day! :)

Happy Two Week Anniversary!
Sounds like you're going to celebrate it in style with your new recliner.
Great news on your post op visit. Keep up the good work.
I hope you have a cozy afternoon in your new chair and maybe even a little nap.
@Atkinson8

Hello @Atkinson8 - I'm so glad to read that your recliner came. I so hope you find that it brings you great comfort and you are able to relax in it. I find that I yearn to be sitting in ours if I've had a lot going on and been up on my feet for several hours. It sounds like you are right on track with your progress, just remember to have patience and let that second side heal. Also, I can't remember where I read it yesterday but someone was told to not hesitate to go back to the crutches vs. cane or walker. There is no written rule that you can't use all aids in various scenarios. I think that is a truly great piece of advice - I am device free in the house but for the last couple of outings (an outdoor mall and surgeon), I have taken both the crutches and the cane, decided which to use when we arrived at our location. I'd like to think by now we all have learned to read or bodies pretty well and know when we need that extra assistance.

Enjoy a good nap on your 2 week anniversary!

@Atkinson8 and @NanaKP My physio suggested to me also to use what I needed, and not be ridged in my thinking that once off one assisted device that I couldn't go back to if if needed at a certain time and place. I take the crutches and my walking poles in the car now!

So great about your recliner @Atkinson8. I love mine and have no regrets purchasing it. Enjoy!!!

Thank you @Alitm - I KNEW I had read it somewhere (I will chalk my lack of memory up to the pain meds on board)!!!! LOL I think it is truly great advice, indeed.

:yahoo:Glad to hear you have a great place to ice it up and get comfy!:ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom