BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Cracked femur and hip #2

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Atkinson8, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I hope today is a good day.
    I have terrible craft skills.
    My attempt at a hat became a pot holder:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I sewed the darts in a dress backwards once :curtsey:
    That was my last attempt at sewing. I was about 13.

3. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Well, this hat might take all winter to make - the good news is, it's a great excuse to rest, elevate, and ice. . . and feel productive (sort of). Pattern says the hat is complete in 3 hours; I'm now through hour 7 and I'm not half way there. Maybe a potholder is a good option!:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, @Atkinson8. I chuckled at your description of slowly making a hat--I, too, am not the crafty sort, but I am usually willing to tackle these sorts of projects enthusiastically, only to try to figure out, half way through, how I can somehow "modify" the project to hide all the mistakes I've made and get the dang thing finished in my lifetime! In short, I am impatient, slobby and very much "by the seat of my pants" when it comes to this sort of thing. I used to crochet, a zillion years ago, but knitting seems much harder. But, as a recovering hipster, you've got time to devote to crafting projects, so I'd say keep at that hat--it will get finished, just not as optimistically as the pattern would suggest. Have a great day!

5. NanaKP

NanaKP member

I'm chuckling at everyone's descriptions of their stab at crafting. I think I love what @Barbaraj said, as a recovering hipster, it is a good thing to fill that time (plus it could help avoid the ODIC some). I have always loved to do crafts, I'm thankful that my daughters do as well (the grandsons . . . well let's just say unless it involves hammers, screwdrivers, drills, etc, they want nothing to do with it).

@Atkinson8 it sounds like you are doing a really great job at thoughtful and slow healing!! Love your statement "don't be a hero, let those bones heal". GREAT GREAT advice!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

NanaKP, your post came at a perfect time; a third of the hat is done, I've improvised a bit, so some had to be taken out, but I shall persist. I've just returned from 2 hours of errands, which means a lot of walking. I'm doing okay, but the incision area is still numb and my knee is bothersome - I keep hoping and reminding myself that it's still sort of early to be expecting smooth strides (but I do). I return to work on Monday, which will be good - as long as I remember to concentrate when I walk, and sit when needed. I'm a bit frustrated with my progress - things have stalled a bit. Thanks all for the encouragement and reminders! :thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mojo333

The good old One Month Stall.
    It's so frustrating:sigh:
    No way to hurry things up really.
    Your body is working hard to overcome all of that trauma!
    And number one is still healing too:unsure:
    Wishing you patience and peace ....
    :friends:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @Atkinson8 I was giggling about your hat! I get half way through projects like that and give up! I wouldn't make it to potholder level. I'm in awe of your perseverance :bow:!

The healing goes in fits and starts. Hang in there, it will pick up again. I am about two weeks ahead of you on both hips, and struggle with the patience piece too :tantrum2:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mojo333

:hi:Back to work for you tomorrow?
    Best of luck and plan on doing little to nothing when you get home!:ice:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Klassy

Klassy senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @Atkinson8 . I just popped in to take my hat off to you. You are one energetic and courageous woman. I happened to see your message on another thread where you mentioned going back to work on Monday, ie tomorrow now. I thought yikes, I am 6 days behind you as a single hippy and no way would I want to go back to work in less than a week. But I see from your thread that you already made a successful return to work at a similar stage after the first hip. AND you have shoulder problems on top of the hip recoveries. Well! You are amazing.

Wishing you all the best as you return to work, and please, do remember to take it easy if you can!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Thanks @Klassy, I'm either energetic or crazy. My so called successful foray back to work after #1 ended up with me back on the table, quickly, for #2. At least the hips are done! I will come home, sit down, and ice - ice - ice.
    I'll let you know how it goes - and thank you all for your good thoughts. Here goes . . . .:scary:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Layla

Best of luck tomorrow!
    I hope you sleep well this evening.
    Let us know how the return is going for you one of these nights while your chillin :ice:
    @Atkinson8

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Okay, first week back to work. It’s friday now and I’m so glad I have a 3day weekend (and a blizzard in the forecast). It was great to be back, and I felt good. First 2 days I brought the cane with me, last 3i left it in the car. I notice that when I carry a bag that weighs more then a few pounds, it effects my walking. Overall, I call this week a success. Yes, did a good job, but more importantly, I feel I moved better. If I remember to Take 2 Tylenol mid day, I actually feel comfortable even By 4pm. Today I forgot, and boy, I felt the difference. All I could think about was getting home, grabbing the big ice packs, and sitting in my recliner—-with the house heat turned up. I get cold easily. Physically, I felt progress, now not so much. Also, it takes a lot of time and effort to go to work! Shower, putting socks on, and if I have to wash my hair, the alarm goes off at 4:45 instead of 5. Getting dressed now s a chore (mostly due to my shoulder issue) but it all adds up. This time round, I feel no guilt in coming home and just doing nothing. Thankfully, hubby is now in the habit of knowing that. I hope this helps those nervous about returning to work. Just be ready to be tired and take care of yourself.
    One more thing, this time I know I have to get up and walk or things lock up. Sometimes I stand a lot and that’s not the same. I’m creaky and awkward when first standing, but once I move, things go a lot better. More later . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Layla

Thanks for the update @Atkinson8
    It's good news to read you made it through the work week. It's great you're able to come home to your ice packs and your recliner, as long as that's what you're feeling you need. It's wonderful your husband "gets it" and allows you to get the rest you deserve. I hope with the cold, blizzard and three day weekend you're able to chill in prep of next week. It will gradually become easier and easier as you continue to heal and gain more energy. Wishing you a comfy, peaceful weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mojo333

Hey...you are me.:dubious:
    Your description sounds spot on for my first month back to work.
    Lots of work getting ready for work:unsure:...coming home and assuming the position:ice:..and getting stiff after resting for long.
    That's how I did it!
    I hate that the weather is wicked
    Do take care...no falling:no-fin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Gearing up for 2nd week back to work, the long weekend was so welcome! And, boy is it cold! I’ve been reading through some threads and it’s edifying to know so many of us are sharing the same sometimes bumpy journey. My goal this week is to walk more (inside) and focus on not limping, when possible. Today felt pretty good and comfortable, but I didn’t go too far. I’m inspired by all those who are going to the gym, aqua therapy, etc., but I don’t see that fitting in right now. I hope I’m not compromising recovery by not being more physically ambitious!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Layla

No, you're not compromising your recovery, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Going back to work at 6 weeks post op is pretty ambitious. Handling that is physically taxing in itself.

Two things -

BIG TIP:
    Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Another tip -
    Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
    It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Glad you had a extra long weekend to rest up.
    A great week to you!
    @Atkinson8

18. Mojo333

Totally agree with Layla..not even two months out and I think you are doing well.
    That energy is still being expended for healing and you are back to work too!
    When I went back to work...I was completely devoid of energy to do much else.
    This spring will be sweet!:flwrysmile:

19. Klassy

Klassy senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I hope your second week at work is going well. Not so long to the weekend now. Take care.

20. NanaKP

NanaKP member

Hey there - congratulations on almost getting through your 2nd week. This is HUGE. I do so hope that on those snowy/icy days that someone is there to help you walk in. I'm with @Mojo333 - NO FALLING. I find it interesting that you are feeling the cold, have you always been that way? I used to always run HOT (ceiling fan on every night year around & the bedroom window cracked open even in the winter) but I have found that I am a LOT more sensitive to cold temperatures. I still wear shorts in the house every day but I find myself reaching for the remote for the fireplace pretty much every afternoon when I get home from work. Is it the material that we are now carrying in us? Hmmmm. :what:

I do hope your Friday goes really well (remember to take those Tylenol) and then you can recoup for two days!

• Friendly Friendly x 1