THR Cracked femur and hip #2

Alitm - when it comes to this situation, I too probably am too literal. The OS says, good to go - yesterday the PT said, good to go and we wrapped up her visits. So, my head says, ok - good to go! Except there's a long way to go, and that's okay. I know, one day at a time. I have a crutch in the car, a cane ready to go, the walker in the house - so I've quite a selection. I was given some good exercises to practice going forward; the recliner is my reward after a session (no worries, not too rigorous at all).
I finished the Poldark series (excellent) - and I'm really grateful to live in a time when modern medicine works so many wonders. Back then (1790's) who knows what they'd do with someone who couldn't walk!
Thanks all for your support and encouragement. Have a great day!

So, my head says, ok - good to go! Except there's a long way to go, and that's okay. I know, one day at a time.
When everyone says "good to go", it is my cue to over do it and pay a visit to the ODIC! So glad that you know, "one day at a time"! You've come a long way though, and are on your way...just one day at a time!! Have a great day!

Two weeks...and you sound splendid.
You are good to go slooooooow!
Do take care...want you good to go fast as you'd like...next year!

I had posterior RTHR on 5th December 2018. When my surgeon saw me post op he told me my femur developed a crack during surgery. I asked him how that happens and he said he was gentle with me and that possibly erosion was the cause. I was a bit confused so when his Registrar stopped by the next day he kindly drew a picture of what happens and the wire that they put in as a precaution. He told me my bones were good and they had continued with the uncemented procedure. He wants me on 50% weight bearing for 6 weeks and my physio explained how to assess the 50%. Physio explained bone needs to be stressed to strengthen but precautions apply to allow to heal as well. I have no pain and feel I could walk normally but doing as I am told till I see surgeon on 9th January (5 weeks post op). Physio is registering me for Hydrotherapy at the beginning of January. I had never used walker or crutches before and soon discovered that I was using my neck muscles to support rather than my arms and the larger foundation muscles...I teach Pilates so you would think I would have picked up on that straight away. There is a technique to using these things and I think because we are pre occupied with the hip, we forget to protect our other joints. We are all so different, but this is my experience and I shall update when i see my Physo and Surgeon. Good Luck with your recovery, oh my surgeon said 3 months before I could go back to work unless I just sit on a chair and coach at 6 weeks. That was before the surgery.Not sure what his opinion will be now that I have had the cracked femur.

Hi Pilates Lady! My OS said fractures happen in about 1 of 100 cases. In my situation the planer slipped when he was shaping the upper femur, or something like that. It heals, but definitely keep the weight off that leg u til told to do otherwise. Also, be careful and conservative with any physical therapy. My fracture healed well, and now that leg is my support for the newer hip, done Dec. 4th. One thing i’m Still learning. . .dont try to be a hero during recovery, let the bones heal. Hope you have a peaceful day.

Entering week four: my plan is to get out and walk a bit more. I’m off walking aids in the house, use 1 cane outside. Energy once in a while my knee catches, not sure what that’s about, but I’m aware it can happen, so I’m cautious. I’ve been reading some threads and I’m motivated by the energy of so many! I need to get with it.
I have been walking and doing some chores around the house, prepped and made Christmas dinner, but still feel the need for naps.
I feel good and positive overall. The memory of walking , or not being able to move, still filters in to my body and I think I might be too cautious, unnecessarily, with picking up the pace of walking. I’ll work on that, gradually.
Every week I check the activity recovery chart. Week four says one or two 30 minutes walks per day. It’s really cold outside today, I’ll do one walk outside, then putter around inside. Hopefully, that suffices.

@Atkinson8 Remember the activity progress information is just a guideline. Literally every recovery will differ in some areas. Please don't feel pushed to do more than you feel ready to do. What seems impossible one day will seem easy when you try on another day.
prepped and made Christmas dinner
I can't even imagine doing this at only 4 weeks out! Well done you! Hope you can get some rest today.

Good Morning, I hope you had a happy Christmas.
Your plan for today will suffice. Keep in mind it's a rough gauge, not a goal you need to meet. So take the pressure off yourself, you're doing great!
Happy Three Week Anniversary...a day late.

As far as being tired, keep this in mind -

Good old energy drain....you're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

A refresher on Energy Drain -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Hope you have a great rest of the week. Naps are good! :yawn: :sleep: :yay:
@Atkinson8

Thanks! I did a nice stroll for about 20 minutes, that was about all I had in me. Maybe a shorter one this afternoon, but I’m moving around nevertheless. I will keep track of my progress and do what I can without you know what, Overdoing It. Have a great day.

Good for you for listening to your body...it's in charge of your progression and all recoveries are different.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
I sometimes did five and ten minute walks two or three times per day, versus walking until I was Done!
Early days...you will get there, friend!:friends:

Hope you're doing well..and happy to see you offering learned wisdom that only comes from those who have been there.
Happy New Year, friend!:happyfeet:

Happy almost New Year! I've been doing well, which means of course today I'm recuperating from OVERDOING IT (although not too badly). Last week I started driving, which was such a relief. I move the seat way back to get in and out, and my right leg works well on gas and break. I've been walking each day, sometimes doing errands, sometimes just for a stroll. Wednesday I had to get some gifts (yes, a bit late) for 2 of my grandkids who came to visit this weekend. That prompted my driving and walking all the more. All went well. Thursday I did grocery shopping, and this weekend we had a full house with babies, toddlers, and my kids. It was great: they didn't overstay, and we had so much fun. I also went in to work for a few hours just to meet with a trial team I coach to get them ready for court competitions. As I said, all went well: today I'm elevating, icing, resting, and dozing now and then.
So, I feel good: not strong, but that will come. My thigh and knee are tight and I feel both, so I do the stretching exercises, but I'm concentrating on trying not to limp. When I do feel the limp sneaking in, I know it's time to have a seat or grab the cane.
To all, thanks again for such support and Happy, Pain-free 2019!:spin:

Sounds like you had a really great weekend with all the littles around!! It is fun being able to enjoy them and feel well all at the same time. I'm also glad to see that you're icing and resting afterward.

Keep up the great job fellow hippy!!!!:loveshwr:

Last edited:
Happy New Year and Happy One Month Anniversary.
You're doing great!

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@Atkinson8

Quick question: newest hip feels great, but I still have numbness and feel soreness in my thigh area and particular discomfort, sometime sharp, in my right knee. Right got THR WAS 12/4 (but you know that). I know this is all normal, or so I think. The other hip had a fracture so the recovery was a bit different. Here’s the question: I just tried to go up the stairs normally, that is not one at a time, and my right knee screamed! I won’t try that again for a while. Is this normal? I might just be paranoid that now the knee is going bad. . . .hopefully it’s all part of the same recovery process. Any wisdom is appreciated. Other than that, all seems well.
Thanks!

I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't keep testing it on the stairs either. Give it time. The knee is often used as leverage to dislocate the hip in a rather aggressive manner. I always equate it to cutting up a whole chicken. You know how difficult it can be to separate the pieces, aggressively jiggling back and forth? Kind of graphic and not exactly the same, but that's what I envision. In my case, my knee didn't really begin bothering me until I was 17 days post op. It was tender, swollen and I woke to bruising. New bruising and it frightened me a bit. I was instructed to ice it along with my hip and any other areas of discomfort and it slowly eased. Sore, painful knees are a very common complaint post op. Just have patience and give it time.
Wishing you comfort.
@Atkinson8

Thank you, this gives some peace of mind. I’m actually doing well; getting out, walking, and feeling independent and mobile. I do love late afternoons in the recliner, and a friend is teaching me how to knit (I’m not sure it will be a passion, but I’m attempting a hat). I will return to work on the 14th and know from past experience to take it relatively easy there. So, all s well and I hope the other hipsters are finding comfort and positive progression as well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom