THR Cracked femur and hip #2

Friday!:happydance:
Thank goodness for the weekend, friend.:yes:
Hope you have been doing okay as you approach your two month mark. Back to work so soon has got to be wiping you out, I should think. Did me !
I sure do hope you can take the weekend for You.:SUNsmile:

Friday,! Yes, I over did it. I think I’m repeating myself. Here’s the thing, sometimes I feel “normal” and pick up the pace or carry too much weight (in addition to my own) which I feel almost immediately, in both the new hip and especially the other one ( which I’m trying hard to protect). What really gets me is when people tell me of their grandmother had hip surgery and was up and around in 2weeks. I’m sure she was, but it makes me feel like my recovery is being judged. . . . Okay, I just have to focus on what I need to do, and that’s to take things gradually, right?

Okay, I just have to focus on what I need to do, and that’s to take things gradually, right?

Exactly right!
Grandma also is not going back to your activity level possibly either.

Two months is EARLY...lots of healing still happening.
You are not behind the curve but can be in danger of not giving this the proper time to get well, especially with unhelpful expectations from others.
Giving this recovery the time it truly needs will serve you well.
Hope your weekend is sweet!

I loved the tall tales link, thank you. I’ve also just read many threads on this forum and have a more realistic picture of my situation. As I’ve said before, the THR left leg is solid and seems like the strongest part of my body at this point. I’ll see next week about cortisone options for the right hip. One woman wrote that she didn’t like to mention her pain because she didn’t want to be considered a whiner. I’m with her on that, although I don’t think I’m fooling anyone. If anyone has suggestions on how to mitigate shoulder pain (of course, arthritis has eaten away the fluid in the joint) I’d love to hear them.

If anyone has suggestions on how to mitigate shoulder pain (of course, arthritis has eaten away the fluid in the joint) I’d love to hear them.
This is a tough one! I'm going to tag our admin @Jamie who has experience with shoulder issues herself. I'm afraid there is not much you can do if the joint is gone!

Happy Sunday!
Don't be afraid to share pain issues here.
You may get ideas from others, possibly some you've never heard, or thought of.
I hope you're able to find some relief for your shoulder pain.
Wishing you a great week ahead!
@Atkinson8

@Atkinson8 ... You're talking to the Queen of Shoulder Pain here!!! I found out about 5 years ago that my left shoulder was "shot" (as my sweet doctor so nicely put it). He recommended a shoulder replacement way back then as I was bone on bone and the "ball" joint was now an oval. (So THAT was why I could no longer lift my arm above my head!) Here is an image that shows where the wear takes place once your shoulder is affected by arthritis. The highlighted area is where cartilage loss usually begins. You can also get bone spurs in this area, but I have been fortunate not to have that problem.

upload_2018-10-28_12-33-40.png

Shoulder replacement was out of the question five years ago because I was a caregiver for my husband. So, in talking with my surgeon we worked out a plan to get as much as possible out of my shoulder without doing damage to the still-in-tact rotator cuff. As you can see from the image below, there are 3 muscles that make up the rotator cuff and one actually weaves through the shoulder bones. Inflammation of this muscle (Supraspinatus) can result in pain at the front of your upper arm. This is what I have experienced. I actually have no pain in the shoulder joint itself.

upload_2018-10-28_13-11-44.png

My surgeon's first treatment was a cortisone shot into the shoulder area. It gave me relief from pain for maybe 6 months. About a year later, he did arthroscopic surgery to clean up the cartilage and smooth things out as much as possible. After each procedure I had physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder joint, avoiding anything that caused any pain or discomfort. It was a lot of really gentle movements with resistance bands.

Arthritis doesn't remove the fluid in your joint, but it definitely does a job on your cartilage. Once the damage is done, that's it. Some surgeons will try different regenerative procedures, but the results are not really very good or consistent (and it's expensive; not usually covered by insurance). Lose enough cartilage in your joint and you have bone rubbing on bone, which begins to "remodel" the bone (change it's shape). The arthroscopic surgery was three years ago. I still have some pain, but it's manageable with 1000mg of Extra Strength Tylenol. The problem for me is that I cannot lift my hand to my head and the arm is really weak.

My husband has since died and now I'm planning to have the shoulder replaced after the first of the year. I've tried very hard not to do things that would push it to the point of pain, as that could increase inflammation and cause faster deterioration. Hopefully all these things I've done will pay off once the surgeon gets in there to do the replacement. With shoulders, the worst thing you can do is try to push on when you have a lot of pain. If you damage the rotator cuff (the main muscles in the shoulder), it may not be repairable. Then the surgeon must do a Reverse Shoulder Replacement. That procedure does give you back fully range of motion for your arm with the up-and-down motions, but you can be somewhat limited in the movements side-to-side (like reaching your hand behind your back to zip up clothing, for example).

If you want to talk more about your shoulder issues, rather than derail your recovery thread, please start a new thread in our "Other Joints" forum (tab at the top of the page). There are a number of folks over there who have had treatments including shoulder replacements that you can talk with.

THANK YOU! I’ll switch this conversation to the shoulder section and look for you there.

@Atkinson8 I came across your thread tonight and was curious about your status, if you don’t mind sharing. I had Right hip replaced on 10/9 with a tendon repair at the same time but I also had a cracked femur from the exact reason you did during the surgery. I have rods inserted to brace the bone. Since I was already restricted to 50% wb after the surgery anyway because of the tendon repair, the surgeon never mentioned the fracture to me again. Are you now able to bear weight on the leg? How is your recovery going?

Hi Atkinson8!
I'm 10 days from the table. A left total hip replacement. I have osteoarthritis in most of my joints but was told this hip problem was due to an old injury or birth defect. (It took 10 years to get a dr. to look at hip instead of my back). I also had a crack to the femur during posterior surgery. Dr. said he wired it back together and I'm on toe touch only with in home rehabilitation 2 times a week for at least 6 weeks. I think the first thing I learned by myself is how horribly inadequate the walker handles are. I now have bruises on my hands from not being able to put any weight on my leg at all. I'm not really small but I only weight 165 lbs. I've had a good day finally and then the therapist came again today so I'm feeling more sore and am tired again. But so much looking forward to getting better! I wish you a speedy recovery

To "hamstrung": The surgeon put something like a zip tie around the fractured bone (no rods, etc.) and as of last visit he said it "looks good" and to stop using walking assists (walker/crutches). Now I use a cane, more for stability than anything else - the right hip/knee is giving me some trouble. My left leg is the strongest part of me!
That being said, today the elevator is broken at work, so I've had to do a lot of stairs, or at least more than I'm used to. Going up I lead with my left leg( the operated leg) because it's now the "good" leg. Boy, I'm feeling that right now and can't wait to go home and ice it.
To "Giddeons", good for you after only 10 days! When I was on the walker with only 50% weight bearing, that's what aggravated the oestoarthritis in my shoulder. It's a trickly balancing act to hold it all together.
To anyone: it will be 12 weeks for me next week (I see the surgeon then) and although progress is slower than I ever thought, and I get home sometimes exhausted and uncomfortable, I am making progress. Today I felt pretty chipper and have tried to increase my snail's pace of waking, unassisted, and not favor one side or the other. I hope I've done okay with that. It's amazing how I look at simple tasks at work: meetings across campus (I opt out), broken elevator :)(. low chairs with no arms, etc. A whole new perspective. Sometimes, in the morning, I feel "normal" which is nice - then the day takes its toll. All in all, things are fine on this end.

Sometimes, in the morning, I feel "normal" which is nice - then the day takes its toll.
Considering how long you were non-weight bearing I think you are doing really well. Activities will continue to get easier as you strength that op side. Just a bit more time needed.

@Atkinson8 Boy can I feel your pain.... My femur was fractured from an improperly placed implant... Ive had a total of 5 Hip Surgeries. #3 they removed the second hip to install a hip spacer... They had to cut the femur in half open it like a book and clean it out due to infection. However long the road is, keep the faith. If I made it thru so can you!! Ice and smile!!

Here’s my update: saw the surgeon yesterday and the left operated leg is solid and looks good (12 weeks out, approximately). I asked them to X-ray my right knee and hip because I’m limping badly, using a cane, and it’s the right sides fault. The knee looked ok, the right hip is shot—-arthritis. I knew it from the pain which just really set in over the last 2 weeks or so. So, I will be scheduled for THR sometime in December. Yikes! I really can’t delay it until any later. He promised not to fracture my femur this time around. I’m bummed, disappointed, and frustrated. I really didn’t want to take another chunk of time off from work so soon, but it’s out of my control.
I guess I’ll have to check out the pre-op forum for some tips!

:wave:Hate you have one more to go, but is a bad hip and won't get better...I had two bad ones and there's no choices for real!
Yikes! I really can’t delay it until any later. He promised not to fracture my femur this time around. I’m bummed, disappointed, and frustrated. I really didn’t want to take another chunk of time off from work so soon, but it’s out of my control.
Oh my stars...I should think not.
You have such a brilliant spirit about you...but who wouldn't be anxious?
This will probably be great for your recovering hip and if you didn't take the time off for surgery...how long could you keep going?
That's what I was faced with also.

You have your fan club in the bullpen...and this is a different hip...different surgery...different recovery, right?:tada:
If you have a date I will see it gets added to your signature.
I will be glad to see your hip pain go bye bye!:yes!:

Thanks! I redid the math on my first hip, and it’s been 10 weeks since surgery. Now I’m just looking forward to knowing the date for the next one. I’ll post it as soon as I know. I’ve said it before, but this forum is such a wonderful resource of wisdom and experience! This weekend my husband is on a much anticipated hunting trip, so I have time to putter, get a few things done, and relax. I’ll also start thinking about what I wish I’d had or done after the first surgery, so I’ll be ready next time around. A recliner would be nice, but perhaps a bit too ambitious!

I loved and still love my recliner...and it IS close to Christmas!:yes:
Hope your weekend is sweet:curtsey:

@Atkinson8 - I hope you get your surgery date soon. I am with @mojo, I LOVE my recliner (still sleeping in it at night). We thought about getting a double one (love seat size) before this hip but didn't get around to it. I may try to sleep on an air mattress on our bed this weekend since my husband will be returning to work on Monday and I'll need to becomfortable with the stairs on my own.

Have they checked the status of your first hip and that fracture heal? What does your OS think about doing hip #2 while hip #1 is still recovering?

Thanks NanaKP for your encouragement. The OS SAID THE LEFT HIP AND FRACTURE “looked good” but I didn’t see the x-rays. The hip and leg feel solid and strong (right now the most functional limb on my body, except my right arm, thank goodness),so I’m trusting his judgement. . .plus, I really don’t have an option to wait too long. Traditionally cortisone doesn’t work, and now if I tried a shot, it would delay surgery by 2months or more. I hope you’re doing well with your recovery. Rest up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back