BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

CPM

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by ridgw003, May 12, 2017.

1. ridgw003

ridgw003

United States United States
    Hi All!

My lateral PKR is coming up quickly, pre-op on Monday and surgery on the 30th!

I just found out that I'll be receiving a CPM machine. I know there are a couple threads on this, but I wanted to feel special, so I started my own.

Where is the best place to use these? I was thinking that after my PKR and tibial tubercle transfer I would be living downstairs for a couple weeks. That would mean the couch. Does that seem to work pretty well?

Are there a lot of "pinch points" in this thing? I have 3 kids, with 2 of them being 5 and 1.5 years old. Anything that looks remotely expensive is going to get played with. I want to make sure that little fingers are not going to get crunched off.

Are you supposed to do this while sleeping? How effective was it? What is the best way to avoid chaffing with it? Is it best to use it while icing?

I am a nice mix of nerves and excitement right now.

Thanks!

Matt

PS- I am doing a 20K canoe race tomorrow as my last big Hurrah before surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

2. Jennszoo

Jennszoo

No advice on the CPm machine as I didn't have one and my Flexion is pretty good shape at 3.5w post surgery. Id choose an ice machine over cpm if given that choice.

Best of luck on your race. I want a canoe or a kayak so badly. It might have to be my post new knees present to myself!

3. ridgw003

ridgw003

Unfortunately I don't think I have a choice.

Go get a canoe. I switched to it from rock climbing and running after a couple shoulder surgeries, several knee surgeries, and a bullet to the left hip. It is a great sport that can be both peaceful and adrenaline filled. My kids enjoy it a lot.

There's a ton of boats on Craigslist all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

4. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    A CPM machine can give you continuous passive motion. The angles to which your knee's bending and straightening can be adjusted.

Some surgeons like you to use a CPM, but most don't. Studies have shown that whether you use one or not has no effect on your eventual outcome. That's because you get the best result by using your own muscle power, not from passive motion.
    Some people like them, because they say it helps their knee to feel less stiff. Others hate them.

The CPM is quite a bulky bit of equipment, but it should be possible to use it on the couch. At least the couch's arm will stop the machine from moving around.
    upload_2017-5-13_8-48-27.jpeg
    It does have moving parts which might trap little fingers, so I advise not using it while the children are around. Ask someone to unplug the CPM when you're not using it, so no little ones can turn it on.

Some people sleep with the CPM on and you can certainly ice while using it. It should be padded, so chafing shouldn't be a problem.

Before you leave hospital, make sure you are shown how to work and to adjust the CPM.

5. ridgw003

ridgw003

Thanks Celle,

Fortunately they are going to deliver it to my house about a week before the surgery. That way I'll be able to figure it out without the haze of pain meds.

6. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

If you find it uncomfortable, you don't have to use it.

7. mechellec

mechellec

My surgeon says the CPM machines aren't necessary but both of my parents swore by them after all of their knee replacements five - seven years ago. They each had both done. When I came home from my RTKR three weeks ago and five days later I could barely bend my knee my 75 year old dad went out and rented me a cpm machine that I told him I didn't need. I have used it twice a day every day since day five after surgery, and I also do pt twice a week and my daily gentle stretches, basic walking, icing and elevating and my ROM is 111 right now. I am doing well and I have no idea if the cpm machine is helping or not but it's definitely not hurting. I will continue to use it the next two weeks that I have it. Best of luck to you!

8. susanne

susanne

Hi. I used the machine once in rehab and never again. Too painful!!

9. eaglemom

eaglemom

I had CPM''s after both of my TKR's. We set it up in the guest bedroom, I'd be in there in the day & at night I'd sleep in our bedroom. I also have 2 ice machines - one in each bedroom. That has worked well for us. If you unplug the CMP that will help with your little explorers 'looking' at the machine.

10. lene'

lene'

I am a CPM HATER
    CPM=Torture Device.... My surgeon insisted on one for the first 24 hours in the hospital after my bilateral! 2 hours on, 2 hours off.... I cried and begged the nurse not to have to use it.. After 24 hours, I made them take it OUT of the room. Now maybe it wouldn't have been so bad at 3 or 4 weeks out but I wouldn't have needed it then....as far as I am concerned it is a useless piece of machinery!

11. jaschembra

jaschembra

I agree 100% with what Celle said.

My hospital no longer keeps them to use since so many surgeons no longer use them (a hospital 1 mile away - patients wake up with them in their room). I used mine for an hour every day and found it relaxing - I would have to start at a low number and work my way up to where I had been the previous day and then go another couple of numbers higher. I was instructed to use it several hours a day! There was no way that would have happened because I would have been a swollen mess! I stopped using it after 3 weeks.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

12. Dragonfly7

Dragonfly7

I had a CPM for only the night of surgery. It didn't bother me at all.
    Please tell me you have someone to help you with the kids....

13. mechellec

mechellec

Start very low so it is relaxing not painful. At week 1 I started at 40 and then gradually moved it up. Now at 3.5 weeks I can set it at 100 but in the morning I still have to set it at about 80 and gently work it up. Some people seem to like it, some hate it, just see what works for you and if you like it do it and if not I'm sure you will heal fine without it. Good luck!

14. ridgw003

ridgw003

Thanks for all the advice! It seems like it really runs the entire spectrum as far as experiences with the CPM machine. Some people loved it, and others thought we should have used it to get the location of Osama Bin Laden a lot sooner than we did with water boarding.

I'll be sure to update my thoughts as soon as I am able.

Dragonfly, I do have help with the kids. My wife has been through 10 of my surgeries with me so we kinda got it down at this point!

15. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Since the use, or not, of a CPM makes no difference in the long run, and there is wide variety in whether people like it or not, I think the long and short of it is this:
    • If your surgeon recommends it and you feel it is helpful, use it.
    • If your surgeon recommends it and you hate it, don't use it.
    • If your surgeon does not recommend it and you don't use it, your recovery will not be impeded.

16. Want2hike

Want2hike

I had a CPM machine and felt like it helped with stiffness.
    Because I couldn't get up from the couch in my first couple of weeks, I used the CPM on my bed. It slid around some, so I put a yoga mat under it to keep it in place. The machine I used had a shearling/lambs wool padding. That irritated my skin, so I covered it with a pillowcase to make it more comfortable. I iced my knee the entire time it was in the CPM and then usually covered it (and the rest of me) with a blanket. If you cover it with a blanket, little fingers are less likely to get pinched.

As others have said, it often is easier to start at a lower setting, then adjust to a higher setting as your knee loosens up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  17. IowaNana

IowaNana

I have a CPM machine and really like it. I do 45-60 minutes on each knee twice a day and have found it helps with stiffness. I typically ice after I use the machine, but may ice during if i have a lot of stiffness. I set a timer to go off when I am done because it's been pretty common for me to fall asleep while I am using it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MyAussieGirl

MyAussieGirl

What is a CPM machine?

19. ridgw003

ridgw003

A CPM machine is a device that moves your leg and knee passively. CPM stands for Continuous Passive Motion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MyAussieGirl

MyAussieGirl

Wow that IMO would be helpful and something to do while getting better.... Id use one

I hope all is well with you my friend