TKR CPM Machine After Knee Replacement

Outcome is the same with or without a CPM, some individuals find them soothing, some doctors will order a CPM.
Most surgeons have gotten away from routinely ordering a CPM. If you prefer to use one, ask your surgeon.

I think I answered my question
Some studies do suggest that CPM machines may be beneficial in some situations. However, positive results are inconsistent and these studies often have small sample sizes. Many doctors no longer recommend CPM machines because newer research does not support their use.Jan 15, 2021

@numike I moved your new thread to the pre op forum since you not had surgery yet. Please keep all your questions here in this pre op forum.

If your insurance covers it, unfortunately mine didn't and I had to pay $250 out of pocket for 1 week of use. I will not be getting one for my LTKR.

This is one of those decisions that usually comes from the surgeon. As has been said, many surgeons have gotten away from using them. However, there are those whom think they are beneficial. If you think you would benefit from using one, by all means discuss this with your surgeon prior to your surgery.

I will say I had one for both of my initial TKR's and what I found was it held the ice in just the perfect spot! I don't feel that I benefited one bit from using it. But again, that was my personal observation.

I had one with my first TKR but not the second (different doctors). I didn't mind using it, I would even fall asleep sometimes during a session! It did mean I was tied to the bedroom a lot for the first couple of weeks. You might need help moving it on and off the bed when you are very early in recovery.

I've had 12 knee surgeries from 3 different surgeons and was never issued a CPM machine for any of my surgeries.

If your insurance covers it, unfortunately mine didn't and I had to pay $250 out of pocket for 1 week of use. I will not be getting one for my LTKR.
What were your experiences? was it not helpful to achieve ROM? It was 250 USD/week?

Not sure if you'll get a response from @Hollylyn as her last post on this thread was 10 months ago. Just thought I'd let you know.....

l had the CPM , l found it to be a pain to use and useless as well . l had them take it away after 2 days .l had to have my husband help get me on it , and then l couldn't get off if he was gone . My insurance covered it . When l had the revision 2 years later for infection , l told the doctor l didn't want it and he said they didn't recommend it anyway . Different Doctors and hospitals . l think it's a money maker for the company that makes them .

With my MACI procedure I wish I would have used the CPM more. I firmly believe it's beneficial for some recoveries. My insurance charges $29 a month to rent it.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks