Lounge Doctor

THR COVID restrictions and recovery

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
I live alone, and my province (BC) has just extended the COVID restrictions that limit my social circle to one or two people until at least the end of February. My surgery date is March 4.

If you live alone in BC, the rule is that "People who live alone may have up to two visitors at their residence for a social purpose. These are the two people in your core bubble. If those two people regularly interact with each other, they may visit the residence of the person who lives alone at the same time."

I had planned on having 3 friends come to stay with me (one at a time) for the first 10 days post-op, but that's contrary to the current rule. I'm not sure I can get the help of the friend who is currently in my "bubble" for more than a few days (she was originally going to stay the first 2 nights only). The other person in my current bubble is unfortunately unable to help at all.

My question is, how hard would it be for me to manage without anyone here to help me, after say 4 or 5 days post-op? Is that feasible? Of course there's a chance that BC will relax the rule at the end of the month and before my surgery, but I can't depend on that.

Thanks for your input!

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Sashimu YES you should be able to manage quite nicely on your own. We have had quite a few members here at BoneSmart who have had hip replacements and gone home to no or very little support. It would be wonderful if you can have a friend stay with you even for a night or two. The hospital will make sure you can get around on your own, manage stairs, and attend to all activities of daily living before you leave.

I had a bilateral hip replacement (both at once) and was fortunate to have my cousin with me for about a week after discharge from hospital. But after that I was alone most of the time.

Things to do before surgery: 1- make sure your home is set up so that you have very few areas that might cause you to trip and fall - ie either remove or tape down small throw rugs, move furniture or small decorative items out of the way of a clear path to bathroom and kitchen.

2- stock your freezer and cabinets with easy to fix foods and also lay in a supply of any "comfort" food you prefer.

3- arrange for a neighbor or friend to call you every day and be willing and able to do errands for you ( ie run to the grocery store or pick up medications).

4- get all equipment you might need - such as long handled "grabbers", an elevated toilet seat, etc.

You will do just fine :) Please keep us informed on how things are going for you.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
I say dump this problem on your surgeon. People's moods 4 or 5 days into recovery vary. But talk to your surgeon about this matter. The surgeon and their staff have undoubtedly encountered this issue before, and recently-- so they would know the routines and protocols and exceptions you qualify for.

Probably the surgeon's PA or nurse would be the one to talk to. Totally appropriate question for the surgeon's staff to answer. Tell them you're concerned about covid regulations limiting visitors during your recovery, that you live alone and you would like guidance or tips because you worry you might need more visitors than the covid regulations currently allow.

Pumpkln

Country
Many of our members have gone home along after joint replacement. Here is a link to a thread with lots of helpful infomation.
Home Alone

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Sashimu
Following is a list of Recovery Aids that you may want to check out before surgery so you’re prepared for recovery -

Wishing you comfort and all the best. :) :-) (:

Eman85

supremo
Country
After doing your research I think you could set yourself up so after 4-5 days you could be on your own. Rules, regulations and protocols are one thing, staying virus free is the main goal. Post surgery we're all pretty run down and can easily get sick.

OP
OP
Sashimu

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I've talked to my surgeon's office nurse and she thinks I'll be fine as long as I have someone to check on me and who I can contact in an emergency. And everyone here thinks I'll be fine as long as I'm well set up. And my friend is willing to stay an extra night or 2 if needed.

So I guess it's all good!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Sashimu
Good to know your friend will stay for an extra day or two if need be. I bet you’ll do fine.
You’ll establish a routine you’re comfortable with pretty quickly, more so than I imagined anyway before my surgery. It will be nice to have someone within earshot for your first shower or two. You’ll also figure out while your friend is still there the things that may take some effort when you’re on your own and plan accordingly before she leaves. You’ll have us also for any questions / concerns you may need simple solutions for. We’ll be here, you can count on that! :)

OP
OP
Sashimu

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
I'm really glad I found this forum...it's great to be able to ask people who know what they're talking about for advice. Really helps to calm me down (at least somewhat!)

Knitquilt

Country
I don’t know the protocol in BC, but I had a visiting nurse and a physical therapist come to the house for the first few weeks. That would also be a big help to you.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey Sashimu :wave:
Thinking of you today and wishing you all the best. We look forward to following your healing journey once you’re resting comfortably and you’re able to start a thread on the Hip Recovery Forum. We can leave guidelines for recovery there that I believe you’ll find beneficial. We’ll be your biggest cheerleaders as you begin healing. Please join us there.
Hope to see you soon! :)
@Sashimu

HipMom143

Country
Canada Canada
@Sashimu how are you doing? How was your surgery? I’m in BC too and since the restrictions haven’t lifted I am going to have to “break the rules” after surgery. My OS said he thought this was reasonable given that I can’t physically take care of my children post-op and having grandparents babysit is already part of the exceptions. I hope you are getting the help you need

OP
OP
Sashimu

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Hipmom, my surgeon said my surgery went really well and that the x-rays afterward looked good. I've had to stick with Dilaudid for pain just to keep things under control so I've been constipated since my surgery. I have a friend staying with me now and there is no way I could manage without her, at this point I can barely get to the bathroom and back. She is leaving on Monday and another friend is coming in for a few days. Yeah technically it's against the rules but... It feels necessary.

Have you had your surgery yet?

HipMom143

Country
Canada Canada
@Sashimu sorry to hear about the pain and constipation, but I’m glad the surgery went well and that you have friends available to help. I’ve read that prunes and prune juice help with constipation, maybe give that a try.
I haven’t had my surgery yet, it’s scheduled for March 18th.

OP
OP
Sashimu

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
Best of luck with your surgery HipMom. I'm in Victoria so had the benefit of having the hospital really close.

New

STEPS Challenge
Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Miah1996
Recent bookmarks