Covid-19 and elective shoulder surgery

rcol

Country
United States United States
So, I have a first-time reverse shoulder replacement scheduled for Aug. 9th. This is an "end of the road" solution having spent a couple of years looking for unsuccessful non-surgical solutions.

COVID-19 (B.4 and B.5 variants) cases are rapidly increasing here in southern CA. I am 75 with comorbidities, AND might have a bad time recovering from a COVID infection in any event. The hospital does test prior to admission, and will delaY AN ELECTIVE SURGERY if infection is discovered. However, previous studies indicate that 15-21% of the time, these infections are hospital acquired.

So, here is the dark side scenario: get the surgery and spend one-two days in the hospital recovering. Dur8ing that HOSPITAL stay, I GET INFECTED WITH THE b.5 VARIANT. tWO TO THREE DAYS LATER, I BECOME SYMPTOMATIC. NOW, I AM IN PRETTY BAD PAIN FROM THE SURGERY, I HAVE A FEVER AND SOME DIFFICULTY BREATHING FROM THE covid.

this sounds like a nightmare scenario to me. may delay a couple more months until the covid problem is better resolvedm, or??
rick

tazzy13

Country
Most hospitals that I know of have a separate orthopedic section for surgery recovery, that was something I was concerned about for my recent replacement. I don’t believe Covid is going anywhere soon, it will probably be worse come fall. You need to do what feels right for you. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. Take care and stay safe.

djklaugh

Staff member since December 30, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@rcol Also check with your surgeon about the possibility of having your shoulder replacement done as a day surgery - so that you do not have to spend an over night in the hospital. This type of arrangement is being done more and more frequently for many types of surgeries. If you have a good support system available at home this might be a good option for you. Of course the surgeon/staff/hospital would make sure that medically you are doing really well before discharging you ... and if there were any medical problems after the surgery they would have you stay at least one night.

Hospitals are being super cautious to avoid ANY infections for patients in their facility!! The very last thing they want is for anyone to become ill while getting treatment.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cal1100.
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom