couple post op questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tori645

Country
United States United States
what is avg daily time on cpm machine? how many times/day?

anyone start laxative pre-op?

icing.. real ice or the frozen gel pads? do they give the circulating ice water cuffs?

i read somewhere that recliners aren't recommend.. T or F? if T, why?

CPM as much as you want. I can even sleep using it on slow. Others like it less, but you will have your own preferences. I start slow and gradually increase flexion and speed. Icing works all three ways. Recliners are fine as long as its not one that causes the knee to stay in a bent position. You may need pillows to prop up your legs properly (straight). Not sure about the other thing you asked about.

Laxatives have for sure as you will need them. I used 2 stool softeners at night and magnesium 400mg at night which can help with the knee and can act like a laxative. I also used Metamucil. That for me was usually enough but on occasion I did need more so had to use a mineral enema but I think just twice. Costco carries a large bag of dried prunes, used those at time also. I would have several things on hand then depending on what you need it is there. Hard to know how you will tolerate that much pain med for that amount of time. Lots of water also! You want to pick the things out now ahead of time instead of having someone go in an emergency and you won't be there to have a say in what they pick, lol.

Recliner: I don't know what I would have done without it! I found if I used a heavy pillow across the bottom at my feet then used a firm king pillow that went from my thigh to my heels the pillow at the end keeps it from folding down at your feet so you can keep your leg straight. They can't be fluffy pillows! In the first months I used 2 so I could really keep my leg above my heart. Just try not to let the knee bend, keep it as straight as possible, helps with extension.

I think I mainly used my CPM machine at night as it is to heavy and cumbersome to move from room to room. I would check with your doctor how much and how often and the numbers because I think they vary a bit in what they recommend.

Icing I just bought two wraps from amazon that I alternated in the freezer I liked them because they were about 18 inches so really covered well above and below. The brand I don't know but they were lime green. I think those cryo cuffs (sp,) sound great but I couldn't really afford it and insurance wouldn't cover it. I had it in the hospital and it was wonderful. I think there are a lot of options out there.

Hope this is helpful and I am sure you will get some other ideas. Sometimes it is hard to sift through it all. But I prepared and had everything I needed so there were no emergency trips.

Whatever your surgeon recommends but there's no proof they do anything significant!
Do NOT use laxatives, far too strong for your poor gut! Read this to understand why and get lots of alternative advice and recipes for moving things along. Constipation and stool softeners.
icing.. real ice or the frozen gel pads? do they give the circulating ice water cuffs?
Advice on all you can find here Ice to control pain and swelling.
Some surgeons aren't keen for hip replacements but for knee replacements they are fine. I wouldn't get a riser-recliner though as sitting down and getting up is a good addition to your rehab and it's not that difficult anyway. I slept in my recliner for 3 months before and after surgery. It was great! You can get some info about recliners and elevating legs here Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

While I'm at it, here are the rest of the recovery articles which you will find very helpful
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Just take metamucil daily and that will keep you in good shape. It's fiber and really does the trick.

I had ice packs and would've preferred the polar cooling sleeve. But sometimes you get restrained by your ortho's personal preferences.

Good questions!

thanks all... prunes are out... will probably try the metamucil.. my mom used to live on that stuff.. never thought i'd do it.. ah well.. following her 'foot steps' with the knee(s).. might as well with the metamucil..

After surgery, is all sleeping done on the back?

For those who have had the surgery, how long before you started sleeping in different positions? with or without pillow between legs..

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_mergedere.jpg

You're keeping us very short on personal information, my friend. It would be very helpful if you could tell us the following details
1. exactly what was your surgery date?
2. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking and how often?
3. how often are you icing your knee?
4. how often and how high are you elevating your leg?
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
6. How is your PT - aggressive or gentle? Painful or so-so?
7. did you ever read the articles I left you in an earlier post?

As for sleeping there are no 'musts' about it. It's just that you will find yourself singularly unable to lay on your side as it will hurt too much! However, it's not uncommon for people to find themselves strangely unable to sleep and the reason why is here Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it? It might also be because you don't have your pain (and swelling, stiffness and aching) properly under control which is why I asked all those questions above.

Sleeping on your side is fine. Just put a pillow between your legs. I did that pretty quickly within the first week. Not a back sleeper. After 6 months I am still uncomfortable without a little pillow or some blanket in-between.
Tori I had the ice cuff but it was a pain having to get so much ice. and it was difficult to fill when home alone or in the middle of the night would need more ice in it. I had tried putting the water bottles in it but then it broke and I thought maybe the bottles put too much pressure on something. I bought another one and used only ice in it. Then I made up a couple of the alcohol ice packs and realized they are more comfortable than the ice cuff and a whole lot less trouble!
I don't have a recliner but so many kneesies love theirs!

I also do not have a recliener---not much time to sit in it either!! I also used the gel ice packs for the same reason that Marianne did----I had to get my own ice most of the time and it was too much trouble to fill the ice machine. Also, I thought it was colder and quicker to just grab a gel pack. I have six of them.

I slept on my side---even in the hospital. The nurses there put a pillow between my legs, but I n ever bothered at home.

Gosh I slept on my side in the hospital too! I had forgotten that! The nurses packed me in pillows, with my op knee on top. And I thought my gel/alcohol packs were actually colder and felt better. Even when they fell off the bed, in the morning they would still have frost on them.

1. exactly what was your surgery date?
JULY 25TH- left TKR , right Partial
2. what medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking and how often?
Already on Celebrex for not only knees but arthritic neck(x-ray techs questioned whether i was in a car accident (no) and back.), muscle relaxer for migraines
3. how often are you icing your knee?
NA
4. how often and how high are you elevating your leg?
NA
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.,
fishing on weekends, not mucn, anything that can be nuked or grilled, costco every couple weeks
6. How is your PT - aggressive or gentle? Painful or so-so?
NA
7. did you ever read the articles I left you in an earlier post?
yes

Tori, you are asking some great questions, but they are hard to answer without more info from you. You show a RTKR date of July (year?) and left partial date is not there. Do you have an upcoming surgery?

Curious also the question about TENS unit?

Was there something about your TKR that begs these questions?

scheduled date of surgery: July 25, 2013

I've had 4 previous surgeries on left knee that is to be TKR and none so far on Right, but it's had 31 yrs of compensating for left. The right patella is arthritic and not riding correctly in the femur and will be 'replaced'.

Just curiosity about the TENS as i have used it in the past.

Oh, OK! Well I don't think that was clear to Josephine. She sifts through many many messages and does her best to take care of everyone. So I'm thinking your thread belongs on the pre-op knee thread. Josephine will probably arrange to move it for you.

I didn't have a CPM---but my father had them for both of his TKR's. I believe that he was on the machine several times a day while in the hospital ---about tow hours a session, I believe. Some OS's do not use them.

Nope---but afterwards, there are stool softenres that most likely should be taken.

I bought these---11.5"X18.5"---they were excellent!
ai1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa394_referee54_colpac_universalc8ec28b6aa22eee7cd9aa0a8a02d86c2.jpg

Others use an icing machine, while a bag of frozen peas also do quite nicely!

My recliner was my fortress for the first several weeks of recovery. I slept there, I ate there, I iced there, I watched TV there---some like them, some do not need them---but my recliner was a tremendous benefit for me!

Tim
Thank you for the info.

Maryo52.. i believe my questions have been related to post op topics.(where in ME? will miss my yearly stop over at LLBean on my way to PEI)

THe pre-op area is not exactly for pre-op topics, it's for people pre-op to talk over their future knee replacement issues and post-op topics. I'm sure the moderators will sort it out.

So where are you having your surgery? Florida? So we live on an island accessed by bridge that is not far from Bar Harbor a/k/a Bah Habbah. When I first got to Maine I had a hard time understanding people ("cah" is car). So, yeah, LLBean is the best. I remember going there my first Fall (I'm from Virginia) and getting this big boots and a down coat and then waiting, like Christmas, for the first winter storm to go try them out. Now we're tired of winter storms and have found refuge in Florida in January the past couple of years. But if you head to PEI, please pick us up and take us. We talk about going but never get there, but I am newly freed up and who knows? Maybe we'll get there this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties