Countdown to revision on the 19th....

Hipster63

Country
United States United States
Right hip revision planned for the 19th (Wed) I'm scared having been through this 18 mos ago. The pain and recovery from that emergency surgery was awful. I'm still struggling to regain lost muscle strength. But I have to do this. The first surgeon did not do a complete hip replacement only a partial. So I'm redoing it to avoid further wear and tear down the road. My fears and concerns truly get the best of me. I am freaking out :) Just the thought of the horrific pain I went through after the first surgery makes my head spin. I know I will have the best of care. My OS is awesome and I trust him. (one of the best !!) I have loving and caring family and friends who support me. I still have muscle pain - not sure of the source or reason. Perhaps exercise related. I've been following Dr's exercise routine faithfully since January. Between him and his PT, I've had some success regaining strength. So I'm increasing my protein intake as well as water - must do's I learned in hip class :) Hubby just cleaned off my walker - I hate seeing that thing!! The toilet chair will be in place when I return home from the hospital. So healing thoughts and prayers going forward. Hoping the surgery is simple and straight forward....

I don't think a revision will be quite a bad as the initial surgery, I hope that you do rest, rest, rest for the first week or two. Don't try to do anything but let your hip heal from the surgery. I will give you the recovery guidelines again, so that they are fresh in your mind!!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@skigirl - thank you. I've been reading as much as I can. I'm a little confused about how to elevate properly. I've printed out the "do's" and will keep those pictures handy. I have the large foam wedges but I see those are a no-no. I have ice packs and I also have an ice machine. I have grabbers - been using those just for everyday bending and picking things up since the 1st surgery. I think I'm ready but still fearful. :)

It sounds like you know what you're in for, as much as you might dread it. I don't know anything about a partial hip replacement or exactly what they are going to do to you this time.
I put off THR for over 30 years so I'd only have to do it once/

Remember that no two recoveries are alike. Even for the same person.
So...how about you already had an unfavorable recovery and the next one is going to be better? Why not?
50/50 chance so let's go with the "this one will be better" scenario.
Prayers that happens and for your comfort as you await the 19th.
@Hipster63

Been listening to advice for Hipster. So don’t worry about exercises after but make sure you walk. I know new post op friend who has to walk 10 minutes every hour and that’s it. I think her initial surgery was worse due to emergency. Second should be better. Do people usually have in general life changing results to fairly normal gait from thr or continue with varied ongoing problems? Looked at post op entries on internet and saw a lot of problems. Also should bed be low post op or can you hop up with stool a little? I’m getting mine done Tuesday and couldn’t go to preop class.

@Hipster63
You mentioned an emergency surgery in February. A girlfriend and I had c-sections within weeks of each other. Mine was scheduled and prepared for and a good experience, and hers was unexpected and scary. It was the unexpected nature that made it so frightening. Hopefully, your careful planning will help everything go super smoothly! You’ve got this!

@Mireille had some really hard times including spacer before revision etc due to infection.
She sounds like she has been pleasantly surprised to have all going well this time around.

Positive thoughts and healing hugs in advance.:angel:

@Hipster63 What part of elevating is confusing you? You can use a wedge if it is not too steep. Is this the thread you were looking at?
Yes, that is the thread I was referring to. My large wedge does not have the dip under the calves. I can use pillows - I was just concerned I would not do it correctly because after reading all the info, I can see where I did it wrong the first time around. thanks!!

Been listening to advice for Hipster. So don’t worry about exercises after but make sure you walk. I know new post op friend who has to walk 10 minutes every hour and that’s it. I think her initial surgery was worse due to emergency. Second should be better. Do people usually have in general life changing results to fairly normal gait from thr or continue with varied ongoing problems? Looked at post op entries on internet and saw a lot of problems. Also should bed be low post op or can you hop up with stool a little? I’m getting mine done Tuesday and couldn’t go to preop class.
Best of luck to you ..... I'm hoping for a return to normalcy :)

@Hipster63 Best of luck to you on your revision. I had a revision after an infection and spacer and I feel great. I was back ay work at 6 weeks. Just listen to your body and things will fall into place.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom