TKR Couldnt stomach opiates.

Julzg

Country
Australia Australia
Hi TKR 3 weeks ago.
I had and seem to still have side effects to drugs for pain. I lasted 11 days but had nausea and stomach cramps and loose bowels.
After I stopped still continued for only 3 days for nausea but still have stomach cramps and loose bowel motions and it's nearly a week since I stopped.
Soooo tired.
Really drained, paracetamol does nothing. Pain uncomfortable.
Drugs made me sleep so much. Harder to sleep now.
It's hard doing all the exercises without pain killers or are most people off pain meds by 14days anyway.?

Thank goodness I didn't sign up to having my other knee done 4 weeks after this one. Would not have coped. Next tkr 5 months away thank goodness. Has anyone experienced drug side effects ? I wonder what they will give me instead next tkr.
Soooooooo tired.... but so uncomfortable sleeping. One hint a colder bed and room helped me. I would love someone to commiserate with.

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hi and Welcome!

I‘m sorry you‘ve had such a rough start.
It's hard doing all the exercises without pain killers
Stop doing all those exercises and that will decrease some of your pain. At this early stage you only need gentle bends and short walks.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Please let us know which knee was replaced and the exact date of your surgery so we're able to create a signature for you. It's helpful for those stopping by to see with a quick glance how far along you are in the healing process.

I am sorry you're off to such a rough start. Please work with your surgeon's office to find meds you're able to tolerate so you are comfortably mobile. To answer your questions, yes, many have issues with medications and work with their surgeon or PCP to find what works best for them. You're not alone in feeling totally depleted. This is major surgery and you may feel drained and have difficulty sleeping for a time, but know it's only temporary and will gradually regulate.
It's hard doing all the exercises without pain killers or are most people off pain meds by 14days anyway.?
The length of time on meds varies from person to person so please don't be concerned with that. No two recoveries are alike so its best not to compare. As far as exercises go please read the articles under Number Four in the Recovery Guidelines as well as the rest of the articles which will be beneficial to your recovery.

Stop back often, we'd love to follow your progress and cheer you on along the way!

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I was on Oxy off and on for about 8 weeks. For the first couple of weeks, I took it as prescribed, every four hours. After that, I took it when I had done too much and needed extra pain relief. My main pain control was ice and elevation. Are you doing that? I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or laying down for at least 2 months. You can not over-ice if you have a thin cloth between you and the ice pack.

Flashlight

Country
Hi, I used dilaudid for about the first 6-weeks. the first 3-weeks on schedule then as I needed. Oxy made me nauseous, felt out of it, and gave me a headache. I didn't have any of these symptoms after changing to a different pain med. The antibiotic I received in the OR, the Celebrex, and the Gerd med they sent me home with gave me loose stools. Maybe there is another pain med you can try? For the first couple of weeks, I napped a lot. I think you need this after major surgery especially when you are up and down at night. You are being too hard on yourself, and you need to give yourself some time.

JusticeRider

senior
Country
Hi Julzg, I wish I had some answers for you regarding the drugs, but I have similar issues. All the narcotics I have tried have made me really sick. I have experienced pretty severe vomiting and also hallucinations from the different drugs I have been given. So far I have tried: Codeine, Vicodin, oxycodone, hydromorphone, and tramadol. They have all made me really sick. I found I could tolerate the tramadol at very small doses, though it was so little I don’t know how much it helped. I’ll be watching this thread with interest to see what kind of feedback you get on this question. I hope you can find something that works for you! And it is perfectly normal to still have pain and feel yucky at 3 weeks post op so don’t worry that you are behind! Also, there really is no behind. Everyone’s recoveries are different and can vary wildly! Best of luck to you :)

RosiePosie

Country
Hi I am at 3 wks today and find that I can relate to much of what everyone has said. The meds make me not very hungry and nauseous. So I try eating different things. I ice and elevate everyday, it truly helps. Sometimes I find that stretching helps me. I hope you find something that helps. Good luck to you as you recover.

Arjay

Country
I'm 3 weeks in as well, as of tomorrow. Really sorry to hear of your awful reactions to the drugs! I've been fortunate and can tolerate the oxycodone and tramadol I was started out on. I have been tapering down and for the last couple days have been making it 11-12 hours on a single 5mg. Oxy, and dropped the Tramadol altogether. And the ice IS a better pain reliever than I ever would have thought. I noticed that I start to feel 'ishy' by late afternoon, not nearly a full-blown nausea, thank goodness, just kinda yucky and no food option seems appetizing. I had also been prescribed 2 - 500 mg acetaminophen 8 hours apart, max of 3000 mgs total. On my own I have tweaked that to 2 325 mg tabs as needed, a max of 4 times a day, tho it's mostly been only 2x a day.

SLEEPING: I have found very helpful to sleeping on my back one of those big, squishy shaped-like-an-arm chair pillows. Helps me stay in a more upright position. Sample style below. AND a ring-shaped travel pillow has been a terrific aid for sleep.

And…Your other knee just 4 weeks after? Goodness. I. can't. even. Hope you are able yo hold off til you get a handle on THIS recovery! Sending you strength and good wishes

Attachments

• 14F7C496-FE3C-46DA-B5C2-C241FF64A41F.jpeg
    14F7C496-FE3C-46DA-B5C2-C241FF64A41F.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 8

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cal1100.
Recent bookmarks