BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Could end up being a knee question. Please help me..

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by mickatky, Jun 8, 2016.

1. mickatky

mickatky

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm at the end of my tether with my knee and I'm starting to think that some kind of knee replacement is the only answer. I'm looking for advice or someone who may have had similar symptoms as me. Here we go and apologies if this should not be here.

I have had a lateral release approx 5 years ago which included some re-modelling of the knee cap. I had 12-18 months of getting back to normal and everything seemed ok. However, last year I went on a holiday with my kids and wife and whilst away I decided to run ahead in flat shoes and on uneven ground to get our car out of a car park. Ever since I have had a whole host of feelings, these are the pains/symptoms.
    • I get knee pain just sitting and have to move it around or make it pop/click for the pressure feeling to go away.
    • I get pain on the right hand side of my patella (knobbly bit)
    • I get pain in my shin on the inner side of leg
    • I get pain at the back of my knee, hard to say where exactly.
    • And it just feels like toothache but in your knee.
    The pain is not excruciating but its is really annoying and actually painful. I have since been back to hospital and had 2 MRI scans, none of which show anything. I had 1 X-ray and that came back that I had early onset of arthritis in my right knee. I get crunching sensation in my knee and it's just pretty hard work in the mornings until I get going. I cycle and when I cycle its fine although week due to muscle wastage from the op, I'm only 38 and worried to death that this is it for me.

Has anyone had similar symptoms, experiences? If so was your arthritis? Could it be patello-femoral syndrome? Is it something else? Could losing weight help as I could do with losing 3 stone if you follow the guidelines for BMI here in the UK.

Then the final question, will some kind of knee replacement help?

• Like Like x 2
    Tags:
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Welcome to BoneSmart! I am going to tag some of my colleague on the knee side to answer your questions.
    @bottomshollow @referee54 @Pumpkln

BTW - age does not matter. We are seeing more and more younger patients needing joint replacements. People lead active lives - joints wear out. You will need to find a surgeon who deals with younger patients. There are plenty out there. Let's see if our forum nurse @Josephine can recommend someone.

3. mickatky

mickatky

Oh thanks @Jaycey I'm borderline depressed as Ive lead an active life since the age of 15! I have had to give up football, running, kick boxing and even cycling is becoming a stress in case it hurts.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! All your symptoms are characteristic of an arthritic joint. As for the MRI scan
    this just shows how a straight xray can show more any old time! As for patello-femoral syndrome, that is arthritis!

Sounds to me like you're having a pretty rough time wit your knee already and need to see a decent knee surgeon.

May I ask who discussed the MRI scans with you? I don't mean names, but what kind of doctor. Was it just your GP? Or an MSK doctor (MuSculosKeletal). What exactly did they say to you?

Once I know that, I would be very happy to suggest a couple of names of knee surgeons to you, chaps who deal with "arthritis in the young adult". And yes, such knee surgeons do exist!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

United States United States
    It is always hard to decide what to do with our painful knees.
    Here is a link to score charts to help you see how your knee is limiting you. Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee
    Be sure to take your score charts to your OS appointments to let them know how your knee is impacting your life.

When you have all your information you will be able to answer this question. If you do need a TKR, then yes it will help you get your life back.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mickatky

mickatky

@Josephine
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I was under a consultant from the BMI in Birmingham UK. He just said that everything looked ok. no explanation really and was discharged, ironically it was the guy that done my lateral release. X ray was done at QE in birmingham and then gp said to try injections and I've had 1 already. Minor improvement but back to pain now. How does that sound

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Well everything is not "OK" if you have arthritis going on in that knee. Arthritis doesn't get better or go away - unfortunately it only gets worse. Dealing with this quickly means you can get back to doing all the activities you enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Josephine

Would you tell me the name of that surgeon? Then I can sus out another chap for you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mickatky

mickatky

Sorry it was Mr Fraz Hussain, he was very good but I didn't get too much of an explanation, I think over a period of time I have just come accept what people have said and thats that.

10. mickatky

mickatky

So I just done the Oxford Test and was 39 and the Tegner was 86.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Josephine

He's not showing up on the NJR. At which hospital did you see him? And was he an orthopaedic surgeon or an MSK consultant?

Those types of scores are misleading as to get an accurate score they need input from the surgeon in terms of a clinical examination. You'd be better off using this score chart which is designed to be filled in by the patient.

Attached Files:

12. fuzzybunny

fuzzybunny

My Oxford score usually hovers around 29. My mother-in-law also perceives her knee to be around 29. I can walk for 2-3 miles with pain, discomfort and moderate swelling but she can't even walk half a mile due to severe pain and instability. She can't stand for more than 5-10 minutes without sitting down and I can survive two 50 minute class periods back to back. Despite similar Oxford scores the functional ability between us is not even close.

• Like Like x 2
  13. LoveGiants

LoveGiants

Welcome!

My knees have felt similar to yours for years. I had surgery in both knees for patella-femoral syndrome when I was around 26. I had pain from that since I was 13. @Josephine - I had no idea that was considered arthritis as well. Wow. It's been a long time.

I hope you're able to get some help. Folks on this forum are very encouraging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mickatky

mickatky

@Josephine it was at the BMI Edgbaston Birmingham, UK. If you do a search on consultants he is on there.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mickatky

mickatky

LoveGiants, thank you, yeah its annoying.. I'm still cycling as I cannot sit and do nothing. Painful just sitting but more like mild toothache. I think I'm going to try a sports physio and try and get all my medical records relating to my knee issues including MRI & X-Ray's...

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
  16. LoveGiants

LoveGiants

I *love* cycling and was riding around 100 miles a week. I just got a steroid shot and if it helps, I'll get back on the trainer. My husband bought me the Rock and Roller trainer and it's wonderful. Not as good as outdoors, but great for some exercising while watching a baseball game.

I started swimming because it's easier on the knees.

My knees also hurt just sitting, even at work. It's a real pita. Or should that be pitk :snork:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Josephine

Hmm - strange. That hospital's not showing up either.
    Did you see him privately?

• Like Like x 2
  18. mickatky

mickatky

@Josephine I can send you a link to his profile. How do I message you?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Josephine

It's perfectly okay to post it on here. If they have a profile on the internet, they are already in the public domain!

• Like Like x 2
  20. mickatky

mickatky

Hey, are you guys still around? I have an update on my knee and wondered if you could help me some more. Still rubbish unfortunately. Sad face...