Cortisone shot, instead???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't gotten a cortisone shot yet, you should definately try it. It might buy you months or even years of relief before you feel you need surgery. I have a herniated disk and I had two shots to reduce the inflammation. The first lasted about a year, the second is going on five now with no pain.

I tried the cortisone route when my hip went baqd, and only got 3 months of relief the first time then just one month the second time before the pain returned.

As you read the hundreds of threads on the subject of "when should I have surgery" you will find a pattern; no one can tell you when except you.

Is the pain distrupting your sleep?

Is the condition of the hip such that you cannot do what you need or want to do?

How much longer do you think you can take pain meds before they begin to take their toll on your body or you get addicted?

Answer these questions for yourself and you'll know if it's time or not yet.

Hey mudpro, to answer some of your questions, It does not bother me to much while sleeping. Sometimes I cant do what I want, and the hard to believe one I dont take any pain meds at all. I never really believed in meds and did not want to get hooked on any, also I heard alot of bad things that they do to your body over time.

How ever, I am going at 10:45 tomorrow morning for my cortisone shot. Only in one side for now to see if it will even work. I hear it does not take on some people. I want to delay surgery if possible:pzld::pzld::pzld::sct::sct::sct: But if this does not work I am going to set the date.

Well, as much as I am grateful for my surgery, I don't think i would have opted for it if I could have slept and moved like I needed to without the assistance of fairly high levels of pain meds.

I'm just saying... this is MAJOR surgery, and while this forum is filled with success stories, the fact remains, there are real risks involved. You sound like you are functioning on a pretty high level without the surgery...

Just got home from hospital and so far so good. Should know more in a few days, feels a little wierd right now. Pain from the shot should be gone in a few days doc said and hopefully other pain goes away with it.:D:D:D

I hope you see a really positive result, New Yorker......let's send that pain somewhere else!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie