Cortisone shot?? Effectiveness?

Eman85

big-cheese
Country
United States United States
Anyone that's had a shot for their hip how effective was it? I'm looking at having my right hip done but really want to wait until it's cold out. Dr's office said 3 months wait after shot for THR, that would time it out about right for me if it does the trick. If not then it's 3 months wait which is what it is. I told them today I'll think about it and let them know what I want to do. If no shot I can have the THR in 4-6 weeks. I really live for summer and the idea of being sidelined for summer doesn't make me happy.

Sorry I don't have anything to offer, Eman.
Also sorry you are looking at a second THR. All too common of a scenario.
Wishes for your comfort as you move forward.
Hope you have a nice weekend. :wave:
@Eman85

Last edited:
My doc said it could work for six months or not at all.. I got nine days. What you do is of course depending on how bad off you are now if it doesn't work.

I just had mine done on 5/2 to meet the insurance demands of conservative treatment. My OS has a 6m before surgery which was frustrating but he has done my other 3 joints so I trust him and will go with his protocol especially since he books 5 months out anyways

There was no resolution to the hip pain. It did decrease somwhere between 20-50% depending on what I am doing and how active I am. I still cannot walk without pain and a cane. Sleeping is still an issue with certain positions and movements. If I had a clear choice of surgery ASAP and injection, I would go for the surgery so that I could get to the other side and really enjoy life.

Saying all that, it depends on you and how much pain/discomfort and limitations you are suffering. You know the path from your previous surgery so you know it can go from bad to worse quickly. I understand wanting the summer. Funny part is that I was hoping for once to have a summer surgery so I could sit outside on the deck while recovering so I did not feel so housebound.

Think about it and decide what is best for your life.

50% deal me in! I knew the other would need doing, my OS wanted to do it 3 months after the 1st. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of what I was given, no complaints. I haven't stopped doing, just loaded the race car and I'm going tonight and if it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll be there.

I'm not looking for a cure here. I'm looking for 3 months tops. I know what I've got to deal with. I just like it to be on my terms.

If you are going to wait that long anyway, there doesn't seem like there is anything to lose!
Hope it gives you some relief as you wait, @Eman85 !:ok:

Well, I never had a cortisone shot because amazingly I was probably as freaked out about that prospect as I was about surgery! The idea of someone plunging a needle deep into my hip was simply untenable. When I was offered a variety of shots by the physiatrist I saw before being referred to an OS, I shuddered and asked what else he had to offer. Well, it was basically zilch--cue trip to OS and hip replacement last September! Anyway, @Eman85, best of luck contemplating your options here.

The knee cortisone shots were barely noticeable. My insurance at the time required it no matter what the xrays said
They did not work long for me either.

The hip shot was precisely placed and under local anaesthetic.. But as it affects a nerve it was noticeable deep pain but just for seconds. But it did not work for very long. What did freak me out as without notice here I was pantless in front of two PA's.. Kind of like Ptarmigans dilemma but a total surprise.. After so many pantless radiation sessions you would think this was not an issue but I didn't really care for it. Maybe it was the lack of a bath and the closeness of their face.

Cortisone is most definitely NOT a cure! It's palliative treatment at best and the effectiveness of it is 50/50 at best.

I've had around 20 shots in my shoulders since around 2004 and gradually they are no longer working because I'm realising that my pain is no longer in my shoulder! However, in between times I've had them twice in the trochanteric bursa and they worked splendidly those times! I was like Lazarus rising from the tomb!

Cortisone shots: are they safe and is there a limit to how many?

I've never had a cortisone shot for anything. I know when I spoke to the OS office they said they use an ultrasound to get it in the right place. I'm not that freaked out about the shot deal. I'm just looking to buy a little time. If I schedule a THR it will be about 6 weeks, if I take the shot it will be 12 weeks On my optimum schedule I'd like to wait until Thanksgiving, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

the shot I had lasted just a few days.

I used to get them for my hip and the first few, when done by someone that was aiming in the right spit, we're pretty good. Lasted maybe a month or so at best though. The last few did pretty much nothing, knew it was time to make the decision for THzr

I am going for a the injection in my hip tomorrow morning, I will let you know how it goes. Dr said I will get a few hours of relief from the anesthetic they will use and hopefully within a few days I will notice a difference in the hip pain I am having. If it works for the three months, I will probably do a few more. Had knee replacement a few years ago and my dr did a cortisone injection in my other knee which was very beneficial! Hoping to delay the hip for a while longer. I'm told the hip is much easier as far as recovery than the knee, so I am not worried about having it done, its just when you are farming and have your own cows to milk you can't always get someone to cover for you, especially this time of the year. Looking forward to pain relief tomorrow!!!

I didn't go for cortisone shots, because co worker had and it worked for a month or so. Also as done well before surgery it might help to get to surgery not delay surgery .

I had a couple of them. Don't remember exactly how long they helped for but I think I got decent pain relief for a few weeks from the first one. They effectiveness wore off with the second shot.

I also had a hyaluronic acid injection once or twice and that helped a tiny bit.

I had my injection this morning, it was done in the hospital in the radiology dept, very simple, a little pain when the dr put the needle in with anesthetic, then the contrast went in then the cortisone-a little pressure no pain. Laid on my back with knees on a foam pillow. maybe tmi but I didn't have to undress, just jeans and panties down below hip and above the knee. Injection over, band aid applied. sent home with a sheet to mark pain level at one hour, one day and one week-then mail to dr and we will go from there. its been just over two hours, no pain, but I do believe the stiffness is there from lack of use. I am going to try some exercise to see if I can get the stiffness reduced. I was having trouble putting my own sock on due to the pain, and also when climbing stairs or after standing a long time, I will let you know how that all goes

@boots Thanks for the update. I don't have cows to milk but I have plenty to do. If you think of it let me know how it works.

I received a newsletter from my health insurer which has wellcare tips and other info. It had an article about pain relief and said to use Tylenol and ibuprofen at the same time for effective pain relief. Anyone ever hear of doing this?
A side note on my Rt. hip pain and sleeping. I tried sleeping with a pillow between my legs just like I did post THR and it helped a lot. It seems to keep pressure off of my hip joint when I roll on my side which would cause pain and wake me up. So far a couple of nights and it's been good.

I've got things to do! Did my L in Feb. and it was Ok to be recovering in the winter. I would rather do it around the end of Nov. if I have my choice. Racing season will be over and the grass will stop growing and the pool will be shut down. As far as icing goes it didn't matter to me that it was winter and I used an icing machine continuously in the beginning.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom