BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Cortisone shot?? Effectiveness?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Eman85, Jun 21, 2019.

1. dlp

dlp senior

United States United States
    I had 2 - first one lasted a few months. 2nd one was barely a few weeks. Nothing to lose by trying it you are waiting a while! Good luck

2. boots

boots junior member

the pain was so much less for a few days, now just over 2 weeks later, it seems to be coming back. my ortho dr gave me a prescription for Celebrex to try if the injection didn't work. I filled that today, I talked to the pharmacist about taking it vs taking 2400-3200 mg of ibuprofen and Tylenol arthritis, and decided to give it a try. There is no way I have time to be off till after fall harvest for a replacement. I'm also doing exercises as I think the pain has made me lose range of motion. And am checking in to a yoga class.

3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Called my OS yesterday and went to see him today. He x-ray'd my hips and examined me. He said Rt hip looked like it's been beat with a hammer. We discussed Cortisone shot and he said it's not worth it, very temporary relief if I got any relief at all. If I took the shot it's 3 mos wait. If I don't take the shot he can get me in for a THR in 4 weeks from when I see him. He fully understood me wanting to use up my summer first, and what the heck I've waited 50 years what's a couple of months!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Eman85
    Wondered if you have got a date set or if you are still floating?
    I can't wait to cheer you on to double hippy status..:chuckmarch:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I'm considering November, OS schedules 4-5 weeks out so I will wait to see him again. So far so good. Of course it hurts but it's been OK at night with the pillow between my legs, been sleeping whole nights. 3 days of painting standing on a ladder was a lot of fun! This hip is completely different than the other as far as how it hurts and what causes it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Steelmanpa

Steelmanpa new member

My shot was July 2 and not effective at all..Reading the protocol on the risk of post op infection after injections, 3 months after injection for surgery. I hope you can manage your pain and still have some life till surgery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

I've got plenty of life! My OS is a real straight shooter and his opinion was what really made me decide not to have the shot. I've dealt with hip pain most all of my life so a few months isn't a big deal. Went racing yesterday, hip never hurts in the racecar.

• Like Like x 2
  8. VSlowLife

VSlowLife junior member

Hi Eman85,
    I had my right hip done by an interventionist radiologist, the first and second time. They look like they are wearing a space suit! It was all about sanitation. Anyway, it was pretty painless, and done as someone above described who went through radiology, too. It’s the hip doctor who tells the radiologist where to place the injection. It worked okay for just three months. The second shot only lasted hours. After two injections, my doctor said that is it, because of future possibility of bone necrosis, if I had anymore shots. Oh there are two types of steroids used, for steroid shots. (I also had them for my spine)I forget the names, but one worked much better on my hip than the other, on my spine. I got red man syndrome from the hip steroid, that worked so well the first time, but that is really not such a bad reaction.
    Good luck on your decision.

9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Haha! If you could only live in your race car. I hope you're not suffering too badly. I do understand favoring a time of year for recovery. I believe we shared opinions on this once before because personally I'd avoid Winter. We live in different areas of the country though, experiencing different weather. Wishing you comfort as you wait.
    @Eman85

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

So far not so bad. Had the second half of my Shingles vaccine and got the possible side effects including joint pain, every joint hurt especially the ones with arthritis!
    I used to go to Minnesota a few times a week years back, I understand what winter is there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh no! That's too bad. @Eman85
    Good to hear you're managing the hip pain well enough though.

Yes, Winters are often brutal here. It's the combo of the icy pavement and roads when driving coupled with being in the hospital during cold and flu season that would stop me from scheduling surgery then. I know it's silly but I always envision getting the flu, or worst cold of my life and needing to brace myself with every cough or sneeze, while nursing a big gash in my leg! Overactive imagination much? :heehee:

Have a good one!

• Agree Agree x 1