• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Cortisone injection

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:console2:A new hip and some recovery time can't be as bad as this right?
That's what conclusion I finally got to.
Sorry you are hurting.
Try a heating pad...not great...but soothing, at least for me.
Sincerest sympathy!

OP
OP
Fairydell

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thank you @Mojo333 . It's 03.35am and I am in agony. I have come downstairs and made a warm drink and refilled my Hot Water Bottle...Do you think that a TENS machine might be worth buying?

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
They did use TENS on me at PT on my lower back when I still had no diagnosis and it felt great...not sure I remember if it helped for long afterwards. Seems like just while on and for very short period afterwards...like an hour.
But we are all different.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
How are things going @Fairydell
I'm guessing just taking your small comforts when possible.
I know I lived on a heating pad for the last 6 months before BTHR.

Hope you are hanging in there:console2:

OP
OP
Fairydell

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
The pain is frequently appalling. Currently dreadful. I wish I had never had the cortisone injection as I know this pain is what I will have to put up with until Feb... Currently chugging turmeric and all manner of herbal things down my throat in the hope that something will help. It's making me really miserable

Bionic

post-grad
Country
@Fairydell
I'm sorry to hear that the injection doesn't seem to be working. I hope that somehow you can get the pain under control so that you are able to enjoy Christmas.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Do you think that a TENS machine might be worth buying?
I used a TENs when my hip collapsed. It does take the edge off. Have you asked your GP for any pain medication?

OP
OP
Fairydell

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
I have read so many scary things about medication that it really puts me off taking it. Nothing has worked so far but I am tempted to borrow my friends tens machine when she gets home from America. It has to be worth trying

Bionic

post-grad
Country
@Fairydell
I bought a TENS machine very cheaply but haven't used it yet so don't know if it works.

However, I had to laugh at the instruction manual, apparently the machine is supposed to be useful for the following - stiff shoulder, neural paralysis, neuralgia, shank ache, whole body fatigue, stomach ache, bad cold, cervical vertebra neck ache, periarthritis, toothache, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, energy failure, weak sexual ability, irregular me Stratton, various acute chronic. Phew..... can't wait until I use my machine I expect to be changed beyond recognition :)

OP
OP
Fairydell

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
Good grief. I had better buy one straight away. I won't recognise myself... :heehee:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Guess I'll be getting one too!:heehee:

I had TENS therapy at my physical therapy prior to my diagnosis...when they were trying to figure it all out...
It felt GREAT...just very shortlived relief...but hey...we try anything we can at this point, right?
I'm sorry you are having to wait and injection hasn't provided the relief you needed!
Hang in there...it's definitely time to get this done!:friends:

OP
OP
Fairydell

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
Thanks @Mojo333 I am currently mixing turmeric with chilli powder, black pepper, a spoonful of honey, a slug of cider vinegar and topping it all up with hot water. As long as I hold my nose I can drink it. I have taken it for four days now. This might just be a coincidence but I had a lot less pain yesterday and I am not feeling too bad today. Having said that. I have had a few relatively good days before so it might just be that I am having a few good days. I will at this point try anything though, the hip has taken over my entire life in a way that I had never envisaged.

OP
OP
Fairydell

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
Even paracetamol? For some it does take the edge off.

I do take paracetamol when I really can't stand the pain any longer. It certainly takes the edge off but I had been taking ibuprofen till I read all the nasty gut rotting things it can do to you. This is a whole new learning experience for me. I used to be so fit and active.

wcgirl

senior
Country
So sorry to hear about your pain. Here is my experience; LTHR I had two shots 6 mos apart that actually allowed me to postpone surgery for a year. I also dedicated myself to Burdenko Method in the pool to keep up range of motion ROM.( I have done these exercises in the pool 3x week every week since that first shot in 2014.) This was IT Band, Bursa and muscle massage first performed by a trained therapist who works with joint replacement recovery patients, then gentle ROM water therapy. By April 2015 I was in great health for a new hip and had an excellent recovery. In May 2018 I found that I needed a RTHR with bone on bone. In June I had the shot again. I was going on a July family trip to Italy and was not going to miss it for the world. The shot worked again... until I walked all over Rome - up & down stone stairs, cobblestone streets and granite hotel floors. My hip was mad as heck! Back to PT and in the pool helped but I was 'adapting' every other joint to compensate for the loss of cartilage bone on bone - knees clicking, bursitis, exhaustion and awful pain. Icing, no stairs, no uneven ground, no bending, no lifting, limited walking, icing, limited sitting in straight back chairs, 30 minutes 2x day of bed rest, knees lower than my hips for a month ... I called the surgeons office for the earliest cancellation and voila! a new hip Oct 8, 2018. I continued the therapy until 2 days before surgery...
So, @Fairydell I hope that you can take some time for yourself and baby that hip over the holidays. Use that cane or walking stick. Ice & tylenol worked for me. Take advantage of every assist. You are disabled for now but that is temporary. Hope you have a surgery date soon. Perhaps your OS is part of a group. This all worked for me and I hope it helps you as well. Wishing you Happy Painfree Holidays! Cheers!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:treestar::merryx:
I hope today is a good day.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Do you have a date yet, friend?
I know you are ever so anxious about this but I PROMISE you the surgery and recovery was not near as stressful as living the way you have had to with this unrelenting hip pain.
I got to the point where I felt like I had chronic inflammation over my entire body.
Started thinking fibromyalgia? Bone cancer? Just crazy! Sleep deprivation didn't help my brain from going to bad places either.

I want this for you so you can get back to happy and healthy!

tollertwins

Country
Did you get a TENS?? If you can find the right spot (like right on the femoral nerve) they do a pretty good job numbing your leg. Easy to find on my first one..not so much on this one.

OP
OP
Fairydell

Fairydell

post-grad
Country
I didn't get any notification about new posts on this thread so please don't think me rude. I will be seeing my friend on Friday and asking to borrow hers to see whether it is worth buying. She is just back from America and had offered it to me before she went... I wish I had taken her up on it. I am starting to count the weeks (three) till I next see the surgeon... Anything has got to be better than the pain I suffer..

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pinky pinkston
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom