BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Cortisone injection

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Fairydell, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I saw the surgeon on Thursday and he wants me to have a cortisone injection in the hip joint. He says 'if it works' it will put off the surgery for a while longer... My doctor was dead against it as it is only a short term solution. Then I read an article that suggests evidence shows that they might actually cause more harm than good.. The injection is booked for 20th of this month and then I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon in February. He did say that it might not work but they wouldn't want to operate while the cortisone is in my hip (or something to that effect). Please could someone give me an unbiased opinion. Please could someone also tell me how they got along after having the injection. How long did the effects last and was it a painful procedure.

2. kernsac

kernsac junior member

United States United States
    I had a Cortizone shot last August. That shot didn’t hurt at all, and gave me some relief, but really just for a few days. I am now struggling to walk, because my hips really need replacing. As a friend of mine said, if you have bone on bone, nothing is really going to help except replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

There is really no guessing as to how you will react to an injection. It may give you a bit of relief. Then again it may aggravate your hip. Unfortunately many areas are taking this route these days as it supposedly costs less. Realistically it only buys time as you are still a patient being treated for hip pain.
    Yes, it may not work and there is a window of time when they will not operate post injection.

Is this your regular surgeon? Frankly I would seek another opinion. Injections are only temporary. If you are bone on bone - they are really not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Well I've been having cortisone injections in my shoulders for about 14 years and am soon to have another lot! If you're the kind it works for, all well and good but since you're waiting for a hip replacement, I wouldn't recommend it. Much better you crack on with the surgery because it is, as you say, a only Band-aid treatment!

Oh, and any intrusion into your hip would be ill-advised just before surgery.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hershey4

Hershey4 new member

I had 3 injections, September 2017, January 2018, and June 2018. When each shot wore off, I got another. The first two helped with the pain, and enabled me to walk a little better. Certainly didn’t help with mobility at all, but they weren’t supposed to.

The shot I had in June was brutal. I had some sort of bad reaction to it. The next two days, I was in terrible pain, worse than anything I had prior related to the hip. Even after the initial reaction worse off, I had no pain relief (I don’t mean from the shot, but my normal hip pain), nor did it improve my walking.

My surgeon told me that you can’t have THR surgery until 12 weeks after the shot, otherwise you’re at a higher risk for infection.

All the shots were just delaying the inevitable. I went on to have a THR on September 24. If I had it to do over, I wouldn’t get the shot more than once. I’d just do the surgery sooner.

Good luck!!

6. dlp

dlp senior

You really won't know how well it will work for you until you have it. If things are bad enough you are considering surgery, I'd say skip the shot. I've had 2 - one gave me maybe 3 months relief. The 2nd one was maybe a week or so of relief, and then back to feeling awful. Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

Thanks everyone. After discovering that we were covered by my husbands medical insurance this is the surgeon that the insurance booked me an appointment with. As I am used to the UK's NHS, I have no idea how it works with medical insurance having never been treated as a private patient before. The surgeon is very experienced in the field of hip and knee replacements and has quite a good profile when I read up but in truth I really don't know one surgeon from another.

8. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

@Fairydell
    My next NHS op, for my knee is not due until April. The OS did say I could have a cortisone in the interim if the pain is bad but as I wanted to go on the cancellation list I declined because you can't have one within 3 months of the op.
    Anyway, all that is irrelevant now as I have decided to have the other hip done privately and that will be 24th Nov.
    In your position I would be inclined to say that you don't want to delay the op in favour of the injection

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

I think I need to give the injection a try as the insurance company might not be willing to pay for the op if I don't. I have no idea how medical insurance works but in fairness to the surgeon I would like to give it a try before settling for the surgery.. If I can have a pain free Christmas without surgery I will be more than happy. Currently doing the strengthening exercises that I have been shown. Some days I think they are helping a lot and other days I am not so sure. I certainly don't feel as stiff as I did when I first started but that could be down to a combination of everything I am taking and trying at the moment. My hip is very painful in the evenings and in bed but it doesn't feel so bad during the day unless I have exerted it a bit too much or turned quickly... I can't turn on one leg anymore.

10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

If the hip is bone on bone..
    You know it will be only a matter of time
    Maybe the injection will give you the time you are hoping for before the op..I hope it works...
    Hope your Sunday is a Good day!

11. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

I had an appalling night. Got up to use the bathroom and could hardly walk the pain in my hip was so bad. It had eased off a bit by the time I got up at 6am this morning and thankfully the train to work is only around the corner from where I live. I was invigilating an exam today in a very cold room. I spent pretty much four hours sitting down.... I feel much less pain if I can at least move around a bit but it wasn't possible today. I wonder why sitting down causes more problems than moving around. I use a walking stick to aid my walking and although I felt a bit daft using it at first, I am now glad of it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

I discovered on Wednesday that the surgeon I saw last week was in surgery.... having his hip replaced. He wouldn't have been available to operate on me... I wondered whether that might be why he wants me to have an injection????? He wouldn't be around to operate any time soon.

13. Mojo333

Wow...that's a good reason for not being available...hopefully he goes to BoneSmart for some great advice about recovery.
    Don't guess you have another surgeon you would consider or as you have been on the fence about this..do you consider this Providence?

Hope hip gives you a reprieve as you work it out...:friends:

14. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

This was the surgeon suggested by the insurance company. I did research him and the review was good. I will be getting the injection on Tuesday and am hoping for great results... fingers crossed.

15. Mojo333

:fingersx:
    I hope it lasts at least three months.
    Roll on Tuesday!:tada:

16. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

As long as I can enjoy the Christmas and New Years Eve ceilidhs pain free I will be a happy bunny.

17. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

ceilidhs - I always thought that was spelled Kaylie!

18. Mojo333

:wave:I am hoping you are able to enjoy the celebrations !

Hope this week is a great week!:egypdance:

19. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

@Fairydell
    Fingers crossed for your injection tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how you get on with it.

20. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

Thank you. I am expecting great things... I hope I'm not disappointed.