• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Core decompression results - positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimbody

Country
United States United States
I just wanted to drop in and give an update since my core decompression (CD) that was performed April 16th. I had my hardware pins removed and a CD done to arrest Stage 1 AVN. It's now August 2 and I've been swimming since week 2 after surgery. I've not been swimming like what you all see at your local YMCA with the .5 mph slog of slop, no, I've been swimming at a former collegiate level. 3000-5000 meters three to four times a week; very high anaerobic threshold stuff. For the first two months, flip turns were painful and so I babied my hip like the doc asked me to do. I was scared that the pain I once felt when I bent over was permanent. It is gone now, completely. I can even do a full on Olympic style freestyle sprint start with ZERO pain to a flat out sprint at 6.2 mph. 6 weeks ago the doctor did a final x-ray and said, "see you in a year."

Now, here's what is puzzling to me. There is all this negativity about CDs and that they are not ever successful. I was halfway believing it up until my surgery. I'm glad I chose this route. I am not nor will I ever again run and I find it's no problem since I can swim all I want with no pain. The only drawback to having had two hip operations in 5 years is the loss of muscle suffered from sitting for long periods of time while atrophy set in. I'm slowly building it back and taking supplements everyday that promote much better circulation. At 40 my bp is now 114/52 and my flexibility is now 30% better than when I had the pins in my hip. I was really miserable before this procedure and now I am the best I've ever been in years. I'm so happy and glad to be walking with no limp and absolutely no pain.

I was worried that the phantom pains I had for a few months were going to be there for life. They are all gone. One day, the pain just stopped and I've gone on a diving trip, can drive for hours without pain, etc... My doctor, Shelby Carter must be commended because he's the one who said to be positive, not to worry and think forward through this procedure. So if anyone is worried about CD get several opinions. I got three before settling on Carter and I'm so much better as a result. Thanks for the support here on this board as I was in a dark place when I was here in March and April.

for your new ability to swim Olympic style Core decompression results - positive and for a successful CD! We love success stories here.

I think you have a misconception of our take on CD. We have never said that it is not successful---just that our experience with members on the forum has not been good in the main. It is apparent that you had all the right factors for success going for you---and we are ecstatic for you!
So continue to enjoy every minute of your new pain free life!

Oh Swimbody, what a wonderful positive result you have had and such a great update!

I would say, the swimming back in the pool has been the key to a successful recovery. I have a friend who had similar situation and she loved swimming, so got in the pool at the two week mark and now three years on, she looks, feels and swims fantastically.

I am a strong advocate for pool work to be included in our recovery regime. I know it is not practical for everyone, but wonderful if it is....

Well done you :)

Hi Swimbody. Good to hear that everythings positive with you.Also this is the first time im seeing a positive comment regard CD which is a good thing in a way for me. My doctor has advised for me to go for CD on my both hips. And i have heard quite a few negative results of it so i have postponed my CD for a moment. In you case you said it was stage 1 AVN. And i have heard that the earlier the stage ,positive the result. But in my case my left hip is Stage 3. What do you think i should do?? Any suggestions??

Swimbody, thanks so much for posting a positive story about CD!

I'm now 5 weeks post-op after getting a right THR as a result of AVN. However, my left hip is also affected but at a much earlier stage. As soon as I'm fully recovered from my THR and have built up strength in my right side (which has completely wasted away over the last 10 months!) then I'll have CD to try and repair the damage to my left hip.

I've been warned to expect that following CD I'll be non weight-bearing on crutches for a minimum of 6 weeks, before about a further 6 weeks walking with crutches. Have you gone through a similar process?

confused_me: it seems we've found ourselves in similar situations! Initially my surgeon had hoped to do CD in both hips, but after taking time to review x-rays and MRI scans decided that doing CD on my right side was most likely futile. Instead, he decided on a ceramic on ceramic THR and when I saw him after surgery he was pretty relieved as my femoral head had collapsed much more than he was expecting. I believe you're absolutely right though, the earlier the stage of AVN, the more likely CD is to be a success........I just hope it works on my left so I at least have one hip of my own!

Andy

It certainly is nice to hear that there are successes but you should remember that CD is never considered a permanent fix, just a procedure to buy you more time before the replacement. Therefore it's fairly inevitable that conversion will ultimately take place but the question is when. Personally I would consider any repeat surgery within two years to be early and the evidence is that most CDs require conversion within such a period, some a lot earlier than that, even with grade I.

However, there are a few that last longer and I truly hope that yours will be one of them.

Hi Andy. I wish you recover soon from your THR. Yes we are on the same situation.:) Just you;re bit ahead of me. I haven't been able to gathered strength to go for CD or THR yet .LOL. How're you after surgery?? I hope you feel much better. Did your doctor tell you how long it will take you to get back to normal life? Hopefully CD is work for your left leg.:))Goodluck.

Thanks for the info Joshephine. Till now i thought CD was a permanent fix.

My doc Shelby Carter told me I have bought myself more time, maybe at least 15 years but he said I might never need a replacement and that depends on me. There is a woman who I swim with that was running the Boston marathon and her hip fractured in about four places. EVERY physician in the Boston and New York area wanted to put hardware all around it. Every physician on this planet would have wanted to make money off her and put metal in her body...except one surgeon...Shelby Carter. As a result she is fully healed, has been swimming and taking supplements to boost blood flow and is set to run her first mile on Sept 17th. She had her injury the day I went into surgery on April 16th. So, I'm hesitant to say that a CD can't be a long term fix. My Stage 1 was a very mild very light shallow crescent that you could see on an x-ray. Where Carter did his drilling, he packed with a paste that promotes bone growth. It may have been that the screws in my femoral head were inhibiting the blood flow. We just don't know.

At the end of the day, I will need both hips replaced for one reason and one reason only, osteoarthritis, which is clear on the xrays of both hips. But that is 15 to 20 years away and who knows what technology will be available. Maybe a stem cell drug can be administered that will regenerate bone. We just don't know so I don't live in absolutes and never have because at the root of life is one small misunderstood premise...you create your reality on earth.

Have a great weekend. That's just my story.

Wow Swimbody,

What a great success story with your swim buddy - fantastic... I love to hear these stories :)

Great news regarding your CD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024